QB is a three horse race next season | Syracusefan.com

QB is a three horse race next season

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
And by horse, I don't actually mean horse.

The key is how the coaches treat and talk about the candidates.

Loeb - Before the season I wondered if the staff would even bring him back for another year. If Loeb wins out I take it to mean that the staff feels one of the young guys can be really special, but will be best served spending a year learning before being handed the keys and Loeb's competent enough for them to be competitive. I really have no idea what to expect from Loeb or if he'll be any good. I don't think he'd be terrible. I also don't think he continues the streak we've seen of breaking passing records. He's not really the sexy choice, but on the other hand he's obviously the sexy choice. Marrone gave him the ol' vote of confidence early in the season. Probably means something.

Hunt - Put me in the camp that wonders if his punishment fit the crime. People were pretty stoked about Hunt back in the day, but we get stoked about all of our young QBs. Geez, people thought Johnny Miller might come in and start as a freshman. Apparently Hunt has done scout team work, which is only slightly more educational than manning a tackling sled. I don't know if he can win the job because I think the deck is stacked against him. Sure doesn't look like he's being treated like the plan has been to bring him along. I do think he's an important guy, because we're going to need a real back up.

Allen - I think we're all hoping he's the real deal and can win the starting job outright and basically become the greatest QB we've ever had. Which sounds awesome, but geez that's a lot to put on a guy. He has some things in his favor. I don't think it's a question of if he ever starts, but when. Apparently people on the staff are really excited about him. Apparently our offense is similar to what he's been running. He's enrolling early. If there's a circumstance where a freshman QB starts, this might be it.

Kinder it seems may never see the field. The staff doesn't talk about him. I don't buy Broyld as a QB, and you shouldn't either if you read the tea leaves (although... if his midseason injuries weren't actually injuries and just ended up being an excuse to shut him down at RB and start cross training him at QB, maybe he has a shot). The staff talks about Broyld in the context of finding a way to get him on the field. That doesn't spell QB to me. Wilson was the only QB we were recruiting, you know, up until he wasn't. Those guys aren't real contenders for this upcoming season in my mind.

This is how I think it goes down - Marrone doesn't strike me as a guy that wants to handle a QB controversy. He's shown that he can name a starter, even prematurely (see Nassib, then Paulus). I suspect that Loeb will be named the starter after spring ball. Hunt and Kinder will duke it out for backup QB, with Hunt coming out on top. The plan becomes to redshirt Allen and position him to earn the starting job in 2014. Broyld ends up somewhere else on the field. Wilson is a scout teamer.

A sidenote, but one thing that worries me with our staff on offense that I'm watching for going forward... they're good at getting the main player at a position ready, but I'm not sure if they can get multiple guys ready for prime time at the same position. How they've talked about their backup QBs sometimes scares me. When Paulus was playing they talked about how Nassib wasn't ready to run the offense. We know Ryan's a pretty smart guy. Why wasn't he ready? Only this season did the staff have anything to say about their trust in Loeb. Did Loeb really need two years as the primary backup in order to get what we were doing? I can understand if people want to explain these things with talent deficiencies. The situations don't sit well with me though. The backup isn't expected to be as good as the starter, but he should be expected to have a clue.

Good post, informative take.

The way I look at it is that Allen is the annointed starter to be, whether that happens next year or 2014 is TBD. In the real world IMO, the best way to "test" someone is to throw them into traffic and see how they hold up. Football is a different story, but the same principle. More gametime experience is so invaluable. Many big teams hand the keys over to a freshman. Clearly getting smoked by a backside DE is good for the staff to see how he can rebound back and lead.

Enrolling early is gigantic for this kid. He will get a chance to study the playbook, be coached by Hack and DM, talk to Ryan while he is still here, talk to the OL, talk to his WRs, talk to his TEs, the list goes on... Signs point to Loeb, but he is entirely unprepared... all of the QBs for next year are at this point.

End of the day, I think the staff goes with who they think can get the job done over the long run. Loeb has incredible accuracy as many here know, but only 1 year left. Hunt has good wheels with a good arm. Kinder will remain on the scout team. This is going to be close, but I truly think that ZA gets the nod. Whatever the staff decides is who they feel is the best QB to keep this team competitive. We are joining the ACC, they want to win and start off on a good note. Whoever is the best candidate wins.

Seeing this is a prediction thread, I'm going with Zach Allen.

I'm not 100% sure Loeb is returning anymore. If Loeb does return it's his job to lose.

If Loeb doesn't return I say Hunt gets the nod.

I'm not 100% sure Loeb is returning anymore. If Loeb does return it's his job to lose.

If Loeb doesn't return I say Hunt gets the nod.

And that's based on what?

1). Loeb. 2) Kinder. High reps as scout QB have separated him. 3) Allen. Will red shirt. 4) Wilson RS. 5)AB. To Rb/Mike. Hunt toWR or Transfer

1). Loeb. 2) Kinder. High reps as scout QB have separated him. 3) Allen. Will red shirt. 4) Wilson RS. 5)AB. To Rb/Mike. Hunt toWR or Transfer

Kinder? I don't think so.

I think it's gotta be 80% Loeb 20% Allen. I really think it's as simple as that

Good post, informative take.

The way I look at it is that Allen is the annointed starter to be, whether that happens next year or 2014 is TBD. In the real world IMO, the best way to "test" someone is to throw them into traffic and see how they hold up. Football is a different story, but the same principle. More gametime experience is so invaluable. Many big teams hand the keys over to a freshman. Clearly getting smoked by a backside DE is good for the staff to see how he can rebound back and lead.

Enrolling early is gigantic for this kid. He will get a chance to study the playbook, be coached by Hack and DM, talk to Ryan while he is still here, talk to the OL, talk to his WRs, talk to his TEs, the list goes on... Signs point to Loeb, but he is entirely unprepared... all of the QBs for next year are at this point.

End of the day, I think the staff goes with who they think can get the job done over the long run. Loeb has incredible accuracy as many here know, but only 1 year left. Hunt has good wheels with a good arm. Kinder will remain on the scout team. This is going to be close, but I truly think that ZA gets the nod. Whatever the staff decides is who they feel is the best QB to keep this team competitive. We are joining the ACC, they want to win and start off on a good note. Whoever is the best candidate wins.

Seeing this is a prediction thread, I'm going with Zach Allen.

Well said and I'm with you. I think Allen starts.

Kinder is nowhere in the picture. There's only 3 beng considered, Loeb, Hunt or Allen. They will separate themselves during spring practice. I don't think Doug will name a winner until the fall. Why let the competition prepare.

Noted. Wait for it. A full season of running the opponents Offense against the North Defense is not coming from nowhere!

I think maybe that French Montana guy would be a good choice. With a last name like that, he's got good bloodlines.

I think maybe that French Montana guy would be a good choice. With a last name like that, he's got good bloodlines.
How many stars does he have?

Anyone know if Ritchey Rene has any experience at QB?

I'm nervous about our QB situation next year, largely because TRGL one hasn't thrown a pass all year so we have literally no idea what to expect from him in a game situation. Hell, he came in for, what, one real snap and we fumbled, didn't we?

As for Allen, I think he's the future, but the Joe Fields debacle has me nervous about starting a true frosh. I realize that by all accounts Allen is leaps and bounds better than Fields as a QB, but still.

How the heck do you run practice to evaluate five QB's? Seems to me that this alone favors Loeb because the staff has seen enough of him to have a solid opinion. That would seem to make him the standard others need to surpass.
Since Doug promised AB a shot at QB I assume he will get it so that allocates a certain amount of reps with Loeb and Hunt getting a high number or reps as well, that leaves precious little time for Allen/Wilson. I really smell RS for both of them.
This is what is called a high class problem!

How the heck do you run practice to evaluate five QB's? Seems to me that this alone favors Loeb because the staff has seen enough of him to have a solid opinion. That would seem to make him the standard others need to surpass.
Since Doug promised AB a shot at QB I assume he will get it so that allocates a certain amount of reps with Loeb and Hunt getting a high number or reps as well, that leaves precious little time for Allen/Wilson. I really smell RS for both of them.
This is what is called a high class problem!
If ZA gets as many snaps in practice as Loeb, he might get a legitimate shot at QB #1. This might be wishful thinking on my part. Loeb's "experience advantage" consists of a long look in practices and knowledge of the offense - not trivial, but not insurmountable to a qualified challenger. His game experience is hand-offs in junk time. Still don't understand why he couldn't have been given a meaningful series here and there, for example the Uconn game after it was a W. Maybe Loeb really is the best option, but he needs to prove it on the field if he winds up being game one starter.

I think the real competition comes in August. I would be surprised if anyone other than Loeb emerges as #1 in spring.

I kind of feel like it all depends on who is #2 at the end of spring. If it is Allen, I would think that's a sign that the coaches absolutely intend on letting him battle for the starting job. If it is Hunt or Kinder, it makes me think the coaches are good with Loeb and will be leaning toward redshirting Allen. Just a gut feeling on my part.

I'm nervous about our QB situation next year, largely because TRGL one hasn't thrown a pass all year so we have literally no idea what to expect from him in a game situation. Hell, he came in for, what, one real snap and we fumbled, didn't we?

As for Allen, I think he's the future, but the Joe Fields debacle has me nervous about starting a true frosh. I realize that by all accounts Allen is leaps and bounds better than Fields as a QB, but still.
Not sure but the staff is taking a serious look at ricky dene

Loeb 85%
Allen 10%
Hunt 4%
Broyld 0.9%
Kinder 0.0000000000000000000001%

looking forward to the most intresting spring since Marrone's first year. Be nice to have something to look at and wonder about this spring. The way I see it, wil be either Hunt or Allen. I just dont think Loeb is an RJ Anderson one year wonder type deal.

That's a great choice. I'm not sure he's been spotted since Minnesota, but we're still looking for him. Could be the next Marvin McNabb from what I hear.

Let's Go Orange!

I don't care to ever see any true freshman play QB ever again, I just think it's a huge mistake, red shirt the kid, let him add 15 pounds, settle in and start in 2014 if he proves worthy. If a 5 year guy and a 3rd year soph can't carry the torch for a year then something is wrong. Starting a true frosh just isn't the answer IMO and I refuse to believe that it will be

I don't care to ever see any true freshman play QB ever again, I just think it's a huge mistake, red shirt the kid, let him add 15 pounds, settle in and start in 2014 if he proves worthy. If a 5 year guy and a 3rd year soph can't carry the torch for a year then something is wrong. Starting a true frosh just isn't the answer IMO and I refuse to believe that it will be
agree - having Loeb return next year is the perfect excuse to let the true frosh redshirt without burning their eligibility. You hand the offense, which will be in very good hands at RB over to a mature and experienced caretaker for a year while allowing all of your talented but young underclassmen spend another year in the system getting bigger and learning.

Disappointed that Bnoro gives Hunt such a low probability - even less than one true frosh - I had really high hopes for him and hoped he would pan out. Would be great to have a star QB from NYC to really grab more attention down there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom