Class of 2022 - QB Jalen Daniels (CA) Committed to South Carolina | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 QB Jalen Daniels (CA) Committed to South Carolina

We can do and have done a lot worse than Daniels. I think he checks a lot of boxes and would be a guy that can RS and wait in the wings. Barring injury this is Shrader’s team for the next 2 years anyway.

You need to bring in 1-2 QBs every cycle. Let them compete, play the best, and let attrition and transfers play out.
From this logic we should take 1 quarterbacks every other cycle who transfer out from the factory schools and one high upside HS QB each cycle.

Last edited:
From this logic we should take 1 quarterbacks every other cycle who transfer out from the factory schools and one high upside HS QB each cycle.
I think you need to be thoughtful about it. You want to create competition but what you also don't want to do is overload the depth chart and have a revolving door of backups. I think we have a pretty healthy depth chart now, but we're still a little heavy at the FR/RF level. Lamson/Morgan/Markiewicz/MacPhail are all technically freshman right now, and then Shrader is a Soph. An upperclassman dual threat who isn't coming to start would be ideal for next season. We could use an insurance policy who has a decent number of game reps already.

I think you need to be thoughtful about it. You want to create competition but what you also don't want to do is overload the depth chart and have a revolving door of backups. I think we have a pretty healthy depth chart now, but we're still a little heavy at the FR/RF level. Lamson/Morgan/Markiewicz/MacPhail are all technically freshman right now, and then Shrader is a Soph. An upperclassman dual threat who isn't coming to start would be ideal for next season. We could use an insurance policy who has a decent number of game reps already.

Yeah, but - how do you sell that role to said "insurance policy" guy?
Who comes here thinking they just wanna compete to be QB2?

Shrader was told he could compete to be QB1, and he eventually achieved that.

Agreed. I think a lot comes down to what the coaches thing of the talent behind the starter in the pipeline. They see these guys in practice, and should have a sense of what they've got.

If they believe that either Morgan or Lamson have the chops to be a future starter, then pursuing grad transfers isn't as high of a priority. If not, then finding a starting caliber guy with experience via the transfer portal should vault to the top of the list.

Yeah, but - how do you sell that role to said "insurance policy" guy?
Who comes here thinking they just wanna compete to be QB2?

Shrader was told he could compete to be QB1, and he eventually achieved that.
It would be nice if once of these last 4 games is a blowout in our favor so we can Morgan in game running the "Shrader" offense and see how he does with it. That will answer a lot of questions.

He definitely waits as long as possible to pass first, but is not a statue when he decides to run.

I don’t see any video on his hudl of him running the ball but he does a nice job of avoiding hits in the pocket and can roll out. I would like to see his running ability as well.

Great size too at 6’5 220, built like a linebacker.

6-5 217

That's a really big kid for someone who just started his senior year of HS. Sure doesn't look "heavy" -- looks lanky in those videos.

Nice!

I know scouts don't think of this kid as a dual threat, but I think he's got really compelling potential as both a passer and a runner. Glad we're getting an official -- would love to land him next month.

Crazy... we went years not being able to land QB prospects, and then we might get 2, two years in a row, from California of all places?

Last edited:
Am I missing something with this kid? I am no football expert, but this kid is 6-5, 220…in high school as a QB. Has a really good arm and can scramble a bit. How is this kid not getting recruited by big time schools? I would be pumped if we land this kid, he looks legit

Am I missing something with this kid? I am no football expert, but this kid is 6-5, 220…in high school as a QB. Has a really good arm and can scramble a bit. How is this kid not getting recruited by big time schools? I would be pumped if we land this kid, he looks legit
I don’t quite get it either. Only thing I could think was level of competition. You’d think at least some of the G5 west/mountain schools would be recruiting him.

Stylistically, kinda reminds me of Big Ben. Size, good arm, pass first, but not a statue and can move when needed.

Stylistically, kinda reminds me of Big Ben. Size, good arm, pass first, but not a statue and can move when needed.
We don’t necessarily need a guy who’s excessively mobile, we just need one that can move if he needs to and has situational awareness. An improviser type.

We don’t necessarily need a guy who’s excessively mobile, we just need one that can move if he needs to and has situational awareness. An improviser type.
just slide in the pocket when its needed worked out pretty well for Brady and Manning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom