Class of 2021 - QB Justin Lamson (CA) Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Justin Lamson (CA) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louisville, Dartmouth, Idaho, Montana St, New Mex St, NAU, Penn, Sac St, Southern Utah, Valpo, Wyoming

Like the offer list, like the HS, like the fact he's played another position.

Hopefully we can reel this one in. Also can we not say "has some Dungey in him" like every other white QB we offer that can run?

EDIT - Finished his tape. Squeezed some throws into tight windows. Can move in the pocket under pressure. Can run and escape pressure, but isn't a run first QB. Seemed accurate on the run. I really like this kid.

Last edited:

free article

He’s visited Cuse, L‘Ville, and Wymong on his own. Decision in next few weeks.

After reading that article it sounds like there is a chance we might be looking at our QB for 2021. Seemed pretty excited about the offer.
"I got a call from coach Gilbert and he let me know they wanted to offer," Lamson said. "We have been talking a lot more. It really started to pick up about two to three weeks ago. My family and I were super excited because it was an offer we were waiting for....
"Coach Gilbert and I are close," Lamson said. "We have a good relationship. We get along well and he seems like he cares about his players, which is important."

Lamson is scheduled to speak with Syracuse head coach Dino Babers for the first time on Thursday.

"I'm super excited," Lamson said. "I've heard great things."

free article

He’s visited Cuse, L‘Ville, and Wymong on his own. Decision in next few weeks.
Surprised they offered him w/o Dino speaking to him once. This could be the face of the team in a couple of years. Really like his tape.

As much as I love the football recruiting side I’m the first to admit I don’t know how to tell these QBs aside from one another. Like how could this kid who looks really darn good only have these offers he has? All these qbs look the same to me so someone who actually knows this stuff please inform !

Most P5 level QBs are starters their sophomore seasons. They get identified as prospects then, get invited to the camps of the big boy schools and start to get offers the summer before their junior season.

Justin didn’t play QB as a soph so he was behind on recruiting. His best chance to catch up would have been this summer, where he surely would have camped at a lot of schools he was looking to get scholarships from. That was not possible either.

According to his twitter feed, he has spent the down time of COVID lifting and has added 25 pounds. Given he played at 190 last season, that would put him in the range of 215 pounds now,

To me, it looks like he has a strong and accurate arm, good judgement and very good athletic ability. Plus he has a 3.5 GPA and offers from IVY league schools. And experience running a sophisticated offense that has produced excellent college QBs. Has a D1 body today. These are all really good things.

More on Justin and his HS:

Other than the top 10-15 top rated kids finding the right QB is very difficult. Schools like NDSU, Wyoming and other lower level programs produce as many great QBs as the Blue Bloods.
Im thrilled that we have a true QB coach again as it is critical. SUs QB room is filled with a diverse group. Im confident that one or more of these kids is going to do well. Lets add this kid to the mix and let em compete. Its nice to have some depth.

not wowed by the company we are keeping - offers are meh.

Louisville isn't a meh offer, and he has offers from Ivy league/Ivy-ish programs so he is smart too. Sounds pretty much like Dungey's offer list. 6'3 Cali kid who is apparently now 235 lbs or so, based on gaining 25. sounds ok to me

As much as I love the football recruiting side I’m the first to admit I don’t know how to tell these QBs aside from one another. Like how could this kid who looks really darn good only have these offers he has? All these qbs look the same to me so someone who actually knows this stuff please inform !
My very scientific process for evaluating football 'croots is to first figure out how much I like their name. If I like it a lot, must get. If it doesn't wow me, well, eh, trust the coaches I guess.

Most P5 level QBs are starters their sophomore seasons. They get identified as prospects then, get invited to the camps of the big boy schools and start to get offers the summer before their junior season.

Justin didn’t play QB as a soph so he was behind on recruiting. His best chance to catch up would have been this summer, where he surely would have camped at a lot of schools he was looking to get scholarships from. That was not possible either.

According to his twitter feed, he has spent the down time of COVID lifting and has added 25 pounds. Given he played at 190 last season, that would put him in the range of 215 pounds now,

To me, it looks like he has a strong and accurate arm, good judgement and very good athletic ability. Plus he has a 3.5 GPA and offers from IVY league schools. And experience running a sophisticated offense that has produced excellent college QBs. Has a D1 body today. These are all really good things.

More on Justin and his HS:

Great points. Obviously he has the physical attributes that P5 coaches look for in a QB, but it's his high threshold of panic (a Gretzky invented term) that impressed me most.

Not going full panic mode allows him to improvise with a clear mind...very Dungyesque (sorry bnoro). Chances are we'll never have a dominating OL similar to the Clemson's, Alabama's etc of the world, so our best chance is to recruit QB's with a high FB IQ, exceptional feel for the game and the ability to improvise. This doesn't necessarily mean "dual threat" but, IMO, we need QB's that can extend plays and move the chains.

Like the offer list, like the HS, like the fact he's played another position.

Hopefully we can reel this one in. Also can we not say "has some Dungey in him" like every other white QB we offer that can run?

EDIT - Finished his tape. Squeezed some throws into tight windows. Can move in the pocket under pressure. Can run and escape pressure, but isn't a run first QB. Seemed accurate on the run. I really like this kid.
but is it ok for us to compare him to Dungey if...ya know...we legit feel like he reminds us of Dungey? What are the rules?

Surprised they offered him w/o Dino speaking to him once. This could be the face of the team in a couple of years. Really like his tape.
I think it is a good indicator of how much Dino trusts Sterlin. One of the stories I linked is mostly about Ian Book, and how he fell into ND's lap when they hired the OC from Boise State. There are a lot of good HS QBs out there. It is probably the hardest position to evaluate. Lots of mistakes, lots of stories of recruits being huge disappointments or huge surprises.

For me, I am looking for a player with size, a good arm, good accuracy, good athletic ability and intelligence.

The intelligence part is probably underrated. Yes, there have been QBs were scored poorly on tests and were very good (our own Donovan McNabb was one). But for this offense, played at the pace we play, you really need a QB who is smart and can make the reads and progressions very quickly. This is one of the reasons I like this recruit a lot.

This doesn't necessarily mean "dual threat" but, IMO, we need QB's that can extend plays and move the chains.
Somehow this statement just depressed me about our prospects for this year.

1afootballQBjfTe92k0vNWIm.gif

Great points. Obviously he has the physical attributes that P5 coaches look for in a QB, but it's his high threshold of panic (a Gretzky invented term) that impressed me most.

Not going full panic mode allows him to improvise with a clear mind...very Dungyesque (sorry bnoro). Chances are we'll never have a dominating OL similar to the Clemson's, Alabama's etc of the world, so our best chance is to recruit QB's with a high FB IQ, exceptional feel for the game and the ability to improvise. This doesn't necessarily mean "dual threat" but, IMO, we need QB's that can extend plays and move the chains.
But Dungey WAS in panic mode half the time, which is why he got hurt so often. He'd take big hits because he was improvising and not accounting for defensive players. This kid seems far more in control, and actually looks like a QB.

That's why I don't think we can compare him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom