Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

Nicely said. My feelings exactly. But you get attacked if you don't agree with the coach.

It is funny how the shoe is on the other foot for some people on here who were the first to rip Shafer & now are the first to support Baber. At least they are all in now.
They all bought into Shafer being an incompetent idiot , not that is an incredibly difficult , long and pains taking job. They will turn on Dino when it takes time and pick him apart for every conceivable miss step he makes.

They all bought into Shafer being an incompetent idiot , not that is an incredibly difficult , long and pains taking job. They will turn on Dino when it takes time and pick him apart for every conceivable miss step he makes.
Oh my...

FHCSS got off to a decent start in his first year. Being a continuation hire, that's really all the adjustment time that he deserved. He had bad luck QB issues in years 2 and 3. However, his downfall came on 3 fronts:
  1. OC - the original hire didn't pan out (strike one); the intermediate hire was immediately named the OC instead of taking a wait-and-see outlook and checking in to other candidates in the off season (I admit that I don't know if Lester's agreement included being named OC in case GM failed) (strike 2); we'll never know what a Hunt-led offense would've been like; the Lester offense involving a WR running through the backfield on nearly every play seemed like wasted effort and an ineffective offense (strike 3)
  2. OL - GM messed it up the first year and a half, the OL coach took care of the rest
  3. On-field decisions & penalties - no need to regurgitate
Comparing a rookie head coach who is trying to get the gang back together again, to a proven head coach who is moving most of his successful staff to SU is like comparing doors to Oranges.

Are there questions related to the start of the Dino era, err, Period? Sure.
  1. Will Dino & Co. be able to take their scheme to a P5 level?
  2. Will the scheme work in the ACC?
  3. Will recruits flock to #OrangeIsTheNewFast?
Both coaches are very likable and seem genuine. One didn't pan out. Hopefully the other one will.

If this hire doesn't pan out then I'm on the record for ponying up for a proven P-5 HC.

Last edited:
VirginiaOrange said:
Why is this thread still active? Every possibly opinion has been shared. The kid is no longer relevant to SU. For crying out loud, let's move on.
You are free to not click on the thread, ergo, moving on.

Glad he got the 'dream' offer but he's LSU's plan D. If you don't believe me go do the research and look it up.
Well obviously... Not sure what your point is. If i was from Baton Rouge and LSU offered me I'm going there.

Of course some people have changed their tune and are all in right now. The new coach has a clean slate. Successful coaches will always have detractors (i.e. Igor on the basketball board) even when they win, but I would say if Dino shows improvement and forward progression year over year, he'll have few detractors.

And if he doesn't, then he's not doing his job, and he deserves the detractors. Just like Shafer did. That's why the call it a Honeymoon period.

I agree with alot of what your proposing. I just think he's a good football player and I wanted him in Orange and met lots of resistance in that his decommit was no big deal, the system, no P5 offers, etc.

Although it is late in the cycle I believe his skill set has been validated by recent events. LSU doesn't hand out scholarships like we do. They are a Top 8 P5 powerhouse. Imo, they don't take as many chances as we might. They could have gone alot of different directions with it and gave him the offer. That means something.

As far as how it turns out, what position he plays, what type of player he becomes, it's all a guess. He may fade away. That is yet to be determined.

I wanted him at Syracuse because I thought he would make us a better football team. That's not happening. Onto the next guy.

I'll never stop supporting the team over possible recruiting gaffes. Just like to discuss it from time to time

"A" body is better than "no" body. You can't take the LSU offer for anymore than that at this point in time. At best he's a C lister for them.

If he ends up suiting up at QB in 2 years for them I'll gladly eat crow but I just don't ever, ever see that happening at SU let alone LSU. If I was a betting man, he hangs around there for a few years and ends up transferring out to a school that he should have gone to in the first place where he can play QB.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this scenario play out. Zach Allen is the most recent where it involved SU but in following recruiting closely for the last 15 years I've seen dozens of times where the local kid finally got offered by the home state big school, commits, rides the pine for 4 years or xfers out after 2 because he got recruited over the very next class or just never had a fighting chance to begin with.

For every Bromley, there's a Steve Rene, Mario Tull, etc, to put it in Syracuse terms.

Of course some people have changed their tune and are all in right now. The new coach has a clean slate. Successful coaches will always have detractors (i.e. Igor on the basketball board) even when they win, but I would say if Dino shows improvement and forward progression year over year, he'll have few detractors.

And if he doesn't, then he's not doing his job, and he deserves the detractors. Just like Shafer did. That's why the call it a Honeymoon period.
It may take 4 or 5 years . He is starting from zero and has a significant talent deficit to overcome. The athletes on the other ACC teams are very good and even if Dino's system gives him a better chance , it will not be as easy as it was at his last 2 jobs , where he already had a large talent advantage in place. What I'm saying is , don't build up expectations and be prepared to defend him to give him the time he may need. JB said a football coach needs 5 years and I trust his logic.

CousCuse said:
It may take 4 or 5 years . He is starting from zero and has a significant talent deficit to overcome. The athletes on the other ACC teams are very good and even if Dino's system gives him a better chance , it will not be as easy as it was at his last 2 jobs , where he already had a large talent advantage in place. What I'm saying is , don't build up expectations and be prepared to defend him to give him the time he may need. JB said a football coach needs 5 years and I trust his logic.

It better not take 4-5 years.

if barbers got rid of him because he did not fit the scheme ---it was mistake---accomplished athlete ---maybe not have been a qb but surely could have enhanced the team elsewhere. strange that lsu maythe offer AFTER he decommited, AND THEY DID NOT TRY FLIP HIM EARLIER. maybe if he did not decommit lsu would not have offered. there is no doubt in my mind i IF this was prompted by us --its not good. if it was motivated soley by scott so be it. we should have tried to keep him and let the dice roll.--just mho

That seems very rational to me. The guy with the successful track record vs the guy with the unsuccessful track record should get the benefit of the doubt. SS never lit the world on fire with his recruiting and Babers has a proven offensive system he's been running for years. Deferring to Babers judgement only makes sense, he's earned it.
i guess fhcss has something in common with lsu though;) barbers has appears to have an upside, but i need to see it translate to recruiting. i am not saying he is failing, but am neutral to him right now.

Just like Zach Allen. :D

Sounds like rationalization to me.

An LSU C lister at any other position would have the board recruitniks doing back handsprings.

if barbers got rid of him because he did not fit the scheme ---it was mistake---accomplished athlete ---maybe not have been a qb but surely could have enhanced the team elsewhere. strange that lsu maythe offer AFTER he decommited, AND THEY DID NOT TRY FLIP HIM EARLIER. maybe if he did not decommit lsu would not have offered. there is no doubt in my mind i IF this was prompted by us --its not good. if it was motivated soley by scott so be it. we should have tried to keep him and let the dice roll.--just mho
Ooooor

He just got a lot more P5 interest in the last week and to him they are more appealing than SU

MD - FHCSS
Purdue - Tim Lester

Ok St, Rutgers ... LSU

His options grew from Tulane or SU to a dozen other opportunities in a weeks time.

He re-affirmed his commitment, then de-committed almost immediately after the reaffirmation once other options became available.

I dont know why we have future games against uconn instead of rutgers. New york city, nj, western PA and maryland are more important recruiting grounds than New England. Plus I like beating Rutgers, bad enough we dont play WVU anymore.

tipphill said:

LSU is an SEC school. If they wanted him prior, they would have went after him and he'd have flipped then.

Babers didn't "get rid of" anyone. The OC flew down to spend the day for an in-home to firm up the commitment. Obviously, we had room at the inn for him. I honestly don't get why people go banana's over the fact that we offered other qb's besides Scott- don't we want to create competition at the most important spot on the field? Did we not play a walk on last year at qb? If Scott is a competitor- which I think he is every bit of- he would not be offended by competition. The more likely scenario is that he got other interest and we were HIS plan D all along. It goes both ways.

Sounds like rationalization to me.

An LSU C lister at any other position would have the board recruitniks doing back handsprings.

they whiffed on every QB they offered.

It's Babers. He ain't cutting hair.

they whiffed on every QB they offered.

They've whiffed on the QBs they've brought in, too--have you seen their offense the past few years?

Bottom line, this kid has been the best QB in a football talent rich state for two consecutive years. He's undersized, but appears to have a lot of skill. He could be a great player at LSU and not be a pro QB, and there's nothing wrong with that. Will be interesting to see if he pans out. But the notion that he's no big loss, I don't buy that. I certainly can buy that he might not be a fit for our new system, if that's what the coaching staff believes.

They've whiffed on the QBs they've brought in, too--have you seen their offense the past few years?

Bottom line, this kid has been the best QB in a football talent rich state for two consecutive years. He's undersized, but appears to have a lot of skill. He could be a great player at LSU and not be a pro QB, and there's nothing wrong with that. Will be interesting to see if he pans out. But the notion that he's no big loss, I don't buy that. I certainly can buy that he might not be a fit for our new system, if that's what the coaching staff believes.

He’d be a bigger loss if he was the only kid we had coming in. Except we have Rex, who imho, has much more upside. Rex was also the kid BOTH staffs wanted more. So I can’t agree that Scott is a big loss.

As for LSU, they went 9-3 this year and 8-4 last year with Anthony Jennings and Brendon Harris. Both return. Harris is a good QB, I think he was hurt this year.

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2016/1/19/10765656/brandon-harris-young-qbs-and-the-sec