Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

He’d be a bigger loss if he was the only kid we had coming in. Except we have Rex, who imho, has much more upside. Rex was also the kid BOTH staffs wanted more. So I can’t agree that Scott is a big loss.

As for LSU, they went 9-3 this year and 8-4 last year with Anthony Jennings and Brendon Harris. Both return. Harris is a good QB, I think he was hurt this year.

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2016/1/19/10765656/brandon-harris-young-qbs-and-the-sec

I'm excited about Rex, too. I just don't understand the cavalier dismissal of a guy who was named Louisiana player of the year, and is universally recognized as the best QB in the state for two years running.

Why does Rex have more "upside" -- because he's a better NFL prospect?

Post-McNabb, given our QB woes, I would have expected people to learn by now that you can't take QB play for granted. Get the best players you can in the program, period, and let them sort it out on the practice field.

Last edited:
RF2044 said:
I'm excited about Rex, too. I just don't understand the cavalier dismissal of a guy who was named Louisiana player of the year, and is universally recognized as the best QB in the state for two years running. Why does Rex have more "upside" -- because he's a better NFL prospect? Post-McNabb, given our QB woes, I would have expected people to learn by now that you can't take QB play for granted. Get the best players you can in the program, period, and let them sort it out on the practice field.

I think he just wasn't prototypical for the Babers system. That's why they were lukewarm on him. He felt that and moved on.

I think this system will recruit itself. Especially after Dungey puts up a bazillion yards this year.

Our QB woes were tied to defensive HC's, bad systems, and Marrone doing a Marrone.

I think he just wasn't prototypical for the Babers system. That's why they were lukewarm on him. He felt that and moved on.

I think this system will recruit itself. Especially after Dungey puts up a bazillion yards this year.

Our QB woes were tied to defensive HC's, bad systems, and Marrone doing a Marrone.

Marrone had nothing to do with our QB situation from 2000 - 2008. It was also due to several high profile propsects not panning out [4 stars Cecil Howard and Perry Patterson], some not making it here [Chad Elliot, Colt Brennan, Joe Dailey], and several being overrated [Fields] or just not good enough [ARob, Catalina, etc.].

I can accept Scott not being a system fit--happens all the time. But the brush off due to his height doesn't make much sense to me, especially since he finally garnered an offer from LSU. After all, BG's record setting QB this year was 6-1 205 -- roughly the equivalent size of Scott.

RF2044 said:
Marrone had nothing to do with our QB situation from 2000 - 2008. It was also due to several high profile propsects not panning out [4 stars Cecil Howard and Perry Patterson], some not making it here [Chad Elliot, Colt Brennan, Joe Dailey], and several being overrated [Fields] or just not good enough [ARob, Catalina, etc.]. I can accept Scott not being a system fit--happens all the time. But the brush off due to his height doesn't make much sense to me, especially since he finally garnered an offer from LSU. After all, BG's record setting QB this year was 6-1 205 -- roughly the equivalent size of Scott.

Defensive head coach with an offensive system that was aging followed by a defensive head coach who was largely incompetent.

I'm not brushing him off because of his height. There is more to system fit than physical attributes. And it should be stated that Babers did exactly what you do if you're middle of the road on a guy. See if you can find better fits, shore it up if you can't. If the guy leaves because he's getting the vibe it's not the best fit - it happens.

Defensive head coach with an offensive system that was aging followed by a defensive head coach who was largely incompetent.

I'm not brushing him off because of his height. There is more to system fit than physical attributes. And it should be stated that Babers did exactly what you do if you're middle of the road on a guy. See if you can find better fits, shore it up if you can't. If the guy leaves because he's getting the vibe it's not the best fit - it happens.
At his last 2 jobs , Babers didn't play with his recruits as he was only at each for 2 years, so there is that.

CousCuse said:
At his last 2 jobs , Babers didn't play with his recruits as he was only at each for 2 years, so there is that.

Why would that matter?

I honestly don't get why people go banana's over the fact that we offered other qb's besides Scott- don't we want to create competition at the most important spot on the field?

Absolutely agree with this x1000. Andrew Robinson is the sole reason no SU fan should ever be happy taking only 1 QB in a class. Not ever.

Sounds like rationalization to me.

An LSU C lister at any other position would have the board recruitniks doing back handsprings.

It's not. I thought he had a shot to play QB in Lester's system because I feel his skill set for that offense was strong enough that he could overcome his height limitations. Rex is the better fit for the Babers offense and it shows in how the staff handled each player's recruitment.

We absolutely need a 2nd QB in this class in the Rex mold. A pocket passer who is a serviceable athlete. But taking on a kid that isn't going to play QB and feeling good because he has QB next to his name on a recruiting website isn't helping us.

I think Scott would have played here, maybe on specials, maybe as a DB. He's a great athlete. But that's not what he wanted. And I still think he would have flipped to another P5 school that offered him legitly as a QB when the opportunit presented itself.

It's not. I thought he had a shot to play QB in Lester's system because I feel his skill set for that offense was strong enough that he could overcome his height limitations. Rex is the better fit for the Babers offense and it shows in how the staff handled each player's recruitment.

We absolutely need a 2nd QB in this class in the Rex mold. A pocket passer who is a serviceable athlete. But taking on a kid that isn't going to play QB and feeling good because he has QB next to his name on a recruiting website isn't helping us.

I think Scott would have played here, maybe on specials, maybe as a DB. He's a great athlete. But that's not what he wanted. And I still think he would have flipped to another P5 school that offered him legitly as a QB when the opportunit presented itself.

Just because a position change is what you and a few others on the board predicted for him doesn't mean that's how it would have worked out. When Scott committed, a Louisiana based high school recruiting analyst was practically despondent about local programs LSU / Tulane not pursuing him, despite his height. His perspective on Scott's potential at QB obviously differs from what you're suggesting.

I can accept that Scott might not be a good system fit, but I don't accept at face value that he wouldn't have panned out at QB just because he was shorter than other guys playing the position.

I'm excited for Culpepper, too, and love the kid's offer list. Hope he is a worthy successor to Dungey.

But just because Scott was shorter and not a legit NFL QB prospect doesn't mean that he wouldn't be able to play there at the collegiate level, or that he'd switch positions. Kid seems to have rare attributes; height is the only limitation, and it is one that can be overcome. Not suggesting that he is guaranteed to succeed, or play QB at LSU, but I wouldn't bet against him. I think he might have the rare "it" factor.

Doesn't really matter, as he's not coming here now, and he'll likely end up at LSU. Will be interesting to see how his career unfolds.

RF2044 said:
Just because a position change is what you and a few others on the board predicted for him doesn't mean that's how it would have worked out. When Scott committed, a Louisiana based high school recruiting analyst was practically despondent about local programs LSU / Tulane not pursuing him, despite his height. His perspective on Scott's potential at QB obviously differs from what you're suggesting. I can accept that Scott might not be a good system fit, but I don't accept at face value that he wouldn't have panned out at QB just because he was shorter than other guys playing the position. I'm excited for Culpepper, too, and love the kid's offer list. Hope he is a worthy successor to Dungey. But just because Scott was shorter and not a legit NFL QB prospect doesn't mean that he wouldn't be able to play there at the collegiate level, or that he'd switch positions. Kid seems to have rare attributes; height is the only limitation, and it is one that can be overcome. Not suggesting that he is guaranteed to succeed, or play QB at LSU, but I wouldn't bet against him. I think he might have the rare "it" factor. Doesn't really matter, as he's not coming here now, and he'll likely end up at LSU. Will be interesting to see how his career unfolds.

Do we know it's a height issue? Lots of things go into playing QB. And Dino knows QB's and what kind of QB his system needs.

Do we know it's a height issue? Lots of things go into playing QB. And Dino knows QB's and what kind of QB his system needs.

Barking up the wrong tree. I have zero issue with Dino deciding that any prospect is or is not a fit for what his system needs.

I can accept that Scott might not be a good system fit, but I don't accept at face value that he wouldn't have panned out at QB just because he was shorter than other guys playing the position.

Both could be the case. One thing we can tell with Babers recruiting is that he values size (and substantial size) on the O-Line. Scott could have not been a good system fit solely b/c of the height and the need to see passing lanes.

At this point, there is a lot of people wondering why this happened. I don't think this was a system fit issue, I think it was a LSU interest issue.

Now, if he commits to Rutgers or somewhere not LSU, then people need to be wondering if it was a system fit, a lack of early interest from the coaching staff, difference in evaluation at the QB position from Shafer to Baber staffs or something else that could have possibly happened.

Scott does appear to be the only decommit the staff had placed a value on keeping.

FYI. Drew Mehringer was listed at 6-0 197 his senior year at Rice

Just for those worried about height

FYI. Drew Mehringer was listed at 6-0 197 his senior year at Rice

Just for those worried about height
We've been round and round about height. I believe we are wayyyyyy past that...

Why would that matter?
Why would that matter?
It's hard to say how good of a recruiter he is if no one has seen if his recruits pan out. There are no data points to analyze. He can manage talent when he has it , so hopefully that translates to recruiting.

We've been round and round about height. I believe we are wayyyyyy past that...

That picture is odd, almost looks like the Rutgers coach is slouching a bit, with his head ducked down a bit as well. Call me crazy, I am sure it's just a coincidence but it's just odd.

The contention was that Babers didn't like him in our system at QB as much as other guys. This doesn't change that truth at all.

I thought the contention was that we didn't give him enough love. So he looked elsewhere. And decided to tell LSU he's interested now.

That picture is odd, almost looks like the Rutgers coach is slouching a bit, with his head ducked down a bit as well. Call me crazy, I am sure it's just a coincidence but it's just odd.
it does a bit

CousCuse said:
It's hard to say how good of a recruiter he is if no one has seen if his recruits pan out. There are no data points to analyze. He can manage talent when he has it , so hopefully that translates to recruiting.

I think if he can take someone else's players and get into the top ten offensively then he deserves the benefit of the doubt in recruiting.

If you win with players who only kind of fit, hand picking your type of players should be better. And as you say we don't know that yet because he's been so good he's been plucked for a better job after two seasons. That's a good problem to have.

Chip said:
I thought the contention was that we didn't give him enough love. So he looked elsewhere. And decided to tell LSU he's interested now.

Didn't like him enough = show him enough love