Class of 2020 - QB Malik Hornsby (TX) Portal from Arkansas to Texas St | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Malik Hornsby (TX) Portal from Arkansas to Texas St

Gowdy & Poitier already visited.

Gowdy & Poitier already visited.
Lol to the 1982 thing. But I was posting about a joint visit. One was on campus the 20th (Thursday), the other on the 21st (Friday). Maybe the visits overlapped but it's not clear.

Last edited:
He had 62 yards passing in his last game. I think I'd rather look elsewhere.

The two names being mentioned are Florida State (Kendal Briles) and Houston (Dana Holgorson) and you don't think he can play here because he only threw for 62 yards last week? They won that game 60-0.

Not for nothing but his high school played for a Texas State title last year and beat Manvel during the regular season. They're 3-0 this season and Hornsby has passed for 370 yards and six touchdowns.

They play Manvel this weekend.

In the video below he was 6 of 9 for 196 yards and rushed three times for 121 yards and a score. Arm looks fine to me.

Last edited:
The two names being mentioned are Florida State (Kendal Briles) and Houston (Dana Holgorson) and you don't think he can play here because he only threw for 62 yards last week? They won that game 60-0.

Not for nothing but his high school played for a Texas State title last year and beat Manvel during the regular season. They're 3-0 this season and Hornsby has passed for 370 yards and six touchdowns.

They play Manvel this weekend.

In the video below he was 6 of 9 for 196 yards and rushed three times for 121 yards and a score. Arm looks fine to me.

Maybe I could have expanded better. It's a huge concern to me when you recruit an "Athlete QB" because their 2nd read is to run rather than scan the field. The fact he's only thrown for 370 yards is a huge concern to me.

I've always wanted an explosive offense built around a pocket passer, or at least someone where scrambling is option #4, and the Eric Dungey Experience (TM) made me want that even more.

Unless we're looking to go fully read option, I think we should be looking elsewhere.

Maybe I could have expanded better. It's a huge concern to me when you recruit an "Athlete QB" because their 2nd read is to run rather than scan the field. The fact he's only thrown for 370 yards is a huge concern to me.

I've always wanted an explosive offense built around a pocket passer, or at least someone where scrambling is option #4, and the Eric Dungey Experience (TM) made me want that even more.

Unless we're looking to go fully read option, I think we should be looking elsewhere.
You wouldn't want 4 more years of Eric Dungey? I would.

LOL. He’s only thrown for 370 over 3 games, because he hasn’t needed to throw. If you watch the film you’ll notice he hands the ball off to #5 often, who takes it to the house often. That is 4-star recruit Devon Achane, who’s choosing between Texas A&M, Alabama and Florida State. Last season Hornsby completed 60 percent of his passes for 23 TD’s vs 2 INT’s, and rushed for about 1000 yds and 15 TD’s more. How many TD’s has “cement shoes” DeVito run for this year. Hornsby has also been hailed as a superb leader.

LOL. He’s only thrown for 370 over 3 games, because he hasn’t needed to throw. If you watch the film you’ll notice he hands the ball off to #5 often, who takes it to the house often. That is 4-star recruit Devon Achane, who’s choosing between Texas A&M, Alabama and Florida State. Last season Hornsby completed 60 percent of his passes for 23 TD’s vs 2 INT’s, and rushed for about 1000 yds and 15 TD’s more. How many TD’s has “cement shoes” DeVito run for this year. Hornsby has also been hailed as a superb leader.
Old cement shoes is playing against acc opponents and the defending national champion.

little different

"Cement Shoes" DeVito ran for a TD last season.

You wouldn't want 4 more years of Eric Dungey? I would.
Actually closer to three because you have to take into account the games he would miss because he was injured.

I live in Texas and follow Texas high school recruiting very closely. Hornsby is a guy who was highly rated early as an athletic QB, but his QB skills haven't been developing as anticipated and as a result his stock is falling like a rock. He was a silent to A&M before they dropped him. Mack Brown at UNC scooped him up and dropped him. The early attention went to his head and he supposedly has a high maintenance parent. Schools from Texas have backed way off. I want no part of him at Syracuse even though our QB recruiting has been suspect for several years now.

I live in Texas and follow Texas high school recruiting very closely. Hornsby is a guy who was highly rated early as an athletic QB, but his QB skills haven't been developing as anticipated and as a result his stock is falling like a rock. He was a silent to A&M before they dropped him. Mack Brown at UNC scooped him up and dropped him. The early attention went to his head and he supposedly has a high maintenance parent. Schools from Texas have backed way off. I want no part of him at Syracuse even though our QB recruiting has been suspect for several years now.
I mean...

If we bring in 2 QBs though.

QB is one position that you have to get right. This kid plays at the highest level of HS football. My concern as i have expressed is that Texas is so different from Syracuse that i just dont see too many kids picking us from the State if they have offers closer to home. If we can land this kid great but im sure its a long shot.

FWIW, Fort Bend Marshall is a 5A school in Texas, not 6A (which is the highest level). Your point stands though. Hornsby isn't picking Syracuse unless he is passed over by dozens of other schools, and if he is passed over by those schools, why does Syracuse want him?

I completely get it and he looks a bit raw but what an athlete. (of course good or bad we also have no chance to actually get involved with this kid.) The dream of a pocket gunslinger is a great dream but unless we have a competent OLine that can actually run&pass block then we need a QB who can also run. I haven't seen that from the OLine in all 4 years so far. The line at Bowling Green was better so what gives? This offense with read option is way more dangerous in my opinion.

We are also scrapping the bottom of the barrel at this point for 2020 QBs. It's sort of scary to me.

I completely get it and he looks a bit raw but what an athlete. (of course good or bad we also have no chance to actually get involved with this kid.) The dream of a pocket gunslinger is a great dream but unless we have a competent OLine that can actually run&pass block then we need a QB who can also run. I haven't seen that from the OLine in all 4 years so far. The line at Bowling Green was better so what gives? This offense with read option is way more dangerous in my opinion.

We are also scrapping the bottom of the barrel at this point for 2020 QBs. It's sort of scary to me.
We don't know what the OL would look like with a healthy Heckel in the middle.

Wouldn't call Gregory Spann scraping the bottom of the barrel. Also Nezat, the kid we have on the shortlist of options, visited LSU last weekend. The staff knows what they're doing.

We don't know what the OL would look like with a healthy Heckel in the middle.

Wouldn't call Gregory Spann scraping the bottom of the barrel. Also Nezat, the kid we have on the shortlist of options, visited LSU last weekend. The staff knows what they're doing.

Heckel played at Liberty. We were shaky. Maybe them playing together for 3 games and those weeks of practice would've helped but I have my reservations.

Spann is a running QB and no different of a player than Hornsby, and if you're comparing stats Spann is averaging 137 yards a game. They've played 4 games, he's thrown for 550 yards. (and note I could care less about high school stats. too many variables.) Doesn't seem to me like Syracuse is on the inside with Spann anyways.

Nezat? IDK maybe he becomes one of those kids who just throws for 10 million yards at Nevada and people are like wow where'd he come from. But right now he doesn't have a lot of P5 interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom