QB Position for Next Season....(not a Devito Thread) | Syracusefan.com

QB Position for Next Season....(not a Devito Thread)

corpjet

Board Prophet
Siting behind the bench for the Bowl Game Friday night, I saw something interesting/bothersome.

ED, TD and Welch would sit next to each other while the defense was on the field and talk about the last series but Chance Amie was no where near this discussion. He often stood by himself and honestly didn't see him talk to a whole lot of people.

If he was/is our true back up for next year and as some believe have a chance to challenge TD for the starting job why isn't he involved in the QB discussion between series. It almost seemed like he was an outcast?

Anyone else see this or have any thoughts?

Siting behind the bench for the Bowl Game Friday night, I saw something interesting/bothersome.

ED, TD and Welch would sit next to each other while the defense was on the field and talk about the last series but Chance Amie was no where near this discussion. He often stood by himself and honestly didn't see him talk to a whole lot of people.

If he was/is our true back up for next year and as some believe have a chance to challenge TD for the starting job why isn't he involved in the QB discussion between series. It almost seemed like he was an outcast?

It was the same last year with Tommy DeVito. Whenever there were quarterback meetings on the sideline, it was ED, Zach Mahoney and Rex Culpepper with DeVito and Welch off by themselves not involved in the conversations. I think it has mostly to do with those who have would have an opportunity to play if necessary. Aime was a red shirt who worked Scout Team. Don't read too much into it.

That's why I wondered if Amie made it to Orlando-Only saw the other QB's sitting together

It was the same last year with Tommy DeVito. Whenever there were quarterback meetings on the sideline, it was ED, Zach Mahoney and Rex Culpepper with DeVito and Welch off by themselves not involved in the conversations. I think it has mostly to do with those who have would have an opportunity to play if necessary. Aime was a red shirt who worked Scout Team. Don't read too much into it.
No it wasn’t.

DeVito was right there all year in 17 too.

Amie, likely had already made his mind up by the CWB.

No it wasn’t.

DeVito was right there all year in 17 too.

Amie, likely had already made his mind up by the CWB.
I sit in section 101 Row F. I am literally thirty feet from where the quarterbacks sit on the bench both in 2017 and 2018. Tommy DeVito might have been standing there in 2017, but he was not a participant in conversations between Coach Babers or Coach Lewis (now at Kent St.) Those conversations involved ED, Zach Mahoney and Rex Culpepper. In fact, DeVito did not even dress for the BC game last year.

I sit in section 101 Row F. I am literally thirty feet from where the quarterbacks sit on the bench both in 2017 and 2018. Tommy DeVito might have been standing there in 2017, but he was not a participant in conversations between Coach Babers or Coach Lewis (now at Kent St.) Those conversations involved ED, Zach Mahoney and Rex Culpepper. In fact, DeVito did not even dress for the BC game last year.
I would not doubt that at certain times he was not there, but I can tell you as an interested party watching on tv looking for shlit like that, that he was visabke next to Dungey quite often last year. Enough where it appeared that he was #3 and we all were wondering if he’s get in an ‘ruin’ His shirt.

Which leads me to, the new redshirt rule is awesome.

The OP was a prescient warning. The kid made up his mind to disengage and flee the challenge. Good luck in JUCO. Maybe Holgorsen will look at you for 2020.

I also remember a post from right after CWB that said “Devin Butler, an undressed player, a guy who had a “1” at the front of his jersey and one other walked off the field before the trophy ceremony”. I think we know which player with the “1” in front that was now.

Obviously, you were very perceptive and on to something with the news a few weeks later. Great pickup and thing is, that dynamic may have set in earlier than the bowl phase. Its sad bc CA had a shot to make a splash here, but who knows when he tuned out and started looking elsewhere bc thats probably right about the time he started to tune out and quit being a teammate and wanting to learn as much as possible.

I honestly thought that the 2 QBS for the 2019 season would be TD #! and Chance Amie #2. But now that Chance Amie is transferring out gives Clayton Welch the #2 spot. I want to wish Chance Amie all the luck in the world at his new school. I think he came to an early decision that he wasn't going to be playing much at QB over the next three years and that's why he transferred.

I don’t think we have had a single season this decade where we played just one QB. Whether it’s Welch, or Culpepper gets moved back, or a late frosh signee, someone else has to step up.

I don’t think we have had a single season this decade where we played just one QB. Whether it’s Welch, or Culpepper gets moved back, or a late frosh signee, someone else has to step up.
We will get a 2019 Qb , for scout team and depth the 2020 will be the future imo and TD

I honestly thought that the 2 QBS for the 2019 season would be TD #! and Chance Amie #2. But now that Chance Amie is transferring out gives Clayton Welch the #2 spot. I want to wish Chance Amie all the luck in the world at his new school. I think he came to an early decision that he wasn't going to be playing much at QB over the next three years and that's why he transferred.

Is Welch still a PWO? Or was he ever?

True enough, but other than Nassib, who was always available, the others were dual threats. I think TD will be another Nassib.

To prolong TD's health will be instead of taking off and running to dump off to Moe or Adams or a TE if they are pass blocking. The less hits the better, play this like Drew Brees.

Curious on the move for Culpepper to TE because it was later in the year and was it after or before the staff knew Chance was going to be a no go? Culpepper seems to be the ultimate team player and wants to be on the field thus the move, along when he was a blocker for the kickoff teams. I know the staff will find another QB to fill the 3rd slot and keeping Culpepper at TE and emergency 4th is an asset to have experience wise at QB4.

To prolong TD's health will be instead of taking off and running to dump off to Moe or Adams or a TE if they are pass blocking. The less hits the better, play this like Drew Brees.

Curious on the move for Culpepper to TE because it was later in the year and was it after or before the staff knew Chance was going to be a no go? Culpepper seems to be the ultimate team player and wants to be on the field thus the move, along when he was a blocker for the kickoff teams. I know the staff will find another QB to fill the 3rd slot and keeping Culpepper at TE and emergency 4th is an asset to have experience wise at QB4.
Agree Rex is a very valuable asset at this point and time

True enough, but other than Nassib, who was always available, the others were dual threats. I think TD will be another Nassib.
Hope so, but Nassib was exceptional - never missed a snap though he was a starter for 3 years. Nassib ran some, took his share of hits from pass rushers. When you consider all QBs in the college games (not only the dual threats) there are lots of injuries.
We don’t know in Devito’s case, but he has had 2 years to get ready.

And maybe not that surprising or coincidental, but Nassib is also the only NFL QB we've had since McNabb, (even if he only held the backup roll).

David Hale was asked to think way off the radar for 2019 Heisman...

Hale was on First Team at the beginning of the season stating Devito was the best backup in the ACC. Not sure if he considered Lawrence a backup or not, but that's what he said. Looks like he still holds him high in regard.

Hale was on First Team at the beginning of the season stating Devito was the best backup in the ACC. Not sure if he considered Lawrence a backup or not, but that's what he said. Looks like he still holds him high in regard.

we do need to remember that Hale is an SU guy, but he happens to be right in regards to Tommy. That's if he considered Lawrence a starter, which I assume he did.