Class of 2021 - QB Riley Leonard (AL) Portal from Duke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Riley Leonard (AL) Portal from Duke

Thinks I like about him:
  • He's got excellent touch
  • He is fearless-Not scared of contact
  • He has what I like to call "a little magic"-i.e. an ability to make plays when things break down. You can call it escapability. This is very important for me and something I always look for in a SU QB recruit
  • Very good athlete, maybe seen more in his basketball videos. Is a dual-threat, which makes our Running game more dangerous.
  • Excellent student-Really believe smarts is the most underrated characteristic when it comes to QB. You have to know the Offense cold and make a ton of quick, smart decisions.
  • Room for growth-The same thing that's helped keep his recruitment down a bit gives him a ton of potential for growth. He has only played QB in HS for 1 season and he already has a good feel for the game. Think he can get a lot better.
  • Not gonna lie, like that other good judges of QB talent besides Babers, such as Cutliffe and Frost offered him. Guys can say they don't care about offers, but it verifies to me what i'm saying on tape when other good evaluators also see it.
So I went back and watched Dungey's HS tapes to get a comparison of the two for kicks and giggles. It's amazing to see Dungey in HS and see how his career turned out. I mean, you can see the fearlessness in HS. He was scrambling, diving, hurdling and throwing his body around in HS. But once he decided to run in HS, he tucked and committed to gaining ground with his legs. Which really was what he did at Syracuse. He wasn't a dart thrower in HS and really wasn't one here.

Fast forward to Leonard's HS tape. The one HUGE difference I see, is that Leonard does a much better job at keeping plays alive and still looking downfield in HS. He also has more wiggle in his scramble, but not as much truck.

Now, who knows if he has the intangibles that made Dungey great (sense of game, leadership / affect on other players, etc) - which really is what set Eric apart. He was not a great thrower...he was a great chain mover.

I think Leonard is a better raw passer and pocket QB...and he seemingly has enough mobility to keep plays alive and deliver throws. Hope he comes here...I like him a lot.

So I went back and watched Dungey's HS tapes to get a comparison of the two for kicks and giggles. It's amazing to see Dungey in HS and see how his career turned out. I mean, you can see the fearlessness in HS. He was scrambling, diving, hurdling and throwing his body around in HS. But once he decided to run in HS, he tucked and committed to gaining ground with his legs. Which really was what he did at Syracuse. He wasn't a dart thrower in HS and really wasn't one here.

Fast forward to Leonard's HS tape. The one HUGE difference I see, is that Leonard does a much better job at keeping plays alive and still looking downfield in HS. He also has more wiggle in his scramble, but not as much truck.

Now, who knows if he has the intangibles that made Dungey great (sense of game, leadership / affect on other players, etc) - which really is what set Eric apart. He was not a great thrower...he was a great chain mover.

I think Leonard is a better raw passer and pocket QB...and he seemingly has enough mobility to keep plays alive and deliver throws. Hope he comes here...I like him a lot.

Agreed -- this would be a home run "get," and landing a quality QB prospect this early would really set the rest of this class up nicely.

Nice looking player. Less concerned about Nebraska here as Duke. Here is to hoping the tandem of Babers and Gilbert can deliver. Babers understandably didn’t pull in another top QB after Devito with him being “his guy” but enough time has lapsed. He needs to bring in another top flight guy though I do think the young man we reeled in late from Texas is a guy we shouldn’t sleep on. Let’s go HCDFB and Gilbert, hit the phones for this talent.
674511AF-E4F9-4337-8F68-98D7B51FD379.gif

He has the wiggle in small spaces like someone used to BBall. He looks like a skinny AR in how he keeps looking down field but creates on the run when he needs to

Well said. I agree

I usually just watch these threads with amusement and not a ton of stress or anticipation. I LOVE watching the huddl films and such. But something about this kid just sticks with me. I find myself actually vested in the outcome of this, and will actually be unhappy if we lose him.

This one is starting to get me excited. I hate that. I don’t need this type of joy in my life right now. We’ve been down this road many times before. It’s so hard to keep putting a broken heart back together.

I’ve been stuck inside too long.

From what I gather (from other poster opinions) if he sticks to his time table and decides next week, we have a really good chance. If he doesn't and things drag out, it becomes easier for a blue blood to get in on this kid?

Any chance his commit date next week is Monday? We would be in a really great spot if we can real this guy in early in the class.

Hopeful as others are here, but mindful that Cutcliffe, with his Manning connections/his success with Daniel Jones as a recent first round pick, looms large.

Hopeful as others are here, but mindful that Cutcliffe, with his Manning connections/his success with Daniel Jones as a recent first round pick, looms large.
Thanks

This one is starting to get me excited. I hate that. I don’t need this type of joy in my life right now. We’ve been down this road many times before. It’s so hard to keep putting a broken heart back together.

I’ve been stuck inside too long.

I think I might be able to schedule you an appointment with the board Psychiatrist. Social Distanced of course.

Well, the cat's out of the bag. Syracuse.com has it plastered on the football page that we are after this guy.

I seriously doubt other schools are subscribed to the local beat report of Syracuse (or any other schools town) for football recruiting news. there have to be 1,000 better sources for immediate information (that’s also very wide spread, meaning not just SU information) than syracuse.com.

If there isn’t, then I guess I need to pay for their content

So with all this time on my hands, I read, re-read, and then re-read again the following quote from young Mr. Leonard:
"You want to go to a school that you can play, Leonard said. “They seem like they’ve got a lot of good guys in there right now, but at the same time I hope I can go in there and hopefully earn my spot.”

Seems like, in referring to Syracuse, he just may have already made up his mind to go North. How far is it to Dandridge, TN to pick up 81 North by the way?

I seriously doubt other schools are subscribed to the local beat report of Syracuse (or any other schools town) for football recruiting news. there have to be 1,000 better sources for immediate information (that’s also very wide spread, meaning not just SU information) than syracuse.com.

If there isn’t, then I guess I need to pay for their content

My thought is this:
These programs have so many people on staff to do the job of football that responsibilities get so spread out and many have a lot of time on their hands. I'm sure many programs are leaving no stone unturned, especially when it comes to taking a look through the local news media sources of opposing programs. Maybe even if they have to pay to get it. But maybe I am completely wrong

A lot of people have complained about the Syracuse.com coverage in the past. I never really understood it. I always appreciated the content they put out, but sometimes I wonder if it tips the program's hand too much ...not that I want reduced coverage at all. Just talking out loud.

Anyway, Duke and Nebraska already knew about this kid, so no big deal really. I look forward to seeing if he chooses Orange

I'm concerned about Duke because the kid's high school coach raved about Cutcliffe.

I'm concerned about Duke because the kid's high school coach raved about Cutcliffe.

Cutcliffe has a heck of a reputation when it comes to QB's. It would not be a shock to see any QB want to play for him.

Hopefully he chooses to play for Dino in an insanely exciting offense instead!

Seems like, in referring to Syracuse, he just may have already made up his mind to go North. How far is it to Dandridge, TN to pick up 81 North by the way?

It's right where 81 starts in TN so maybe a few minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom