QB situation going forward | Syracusefan.com

QB situation going forward

florange44

Scout Team
Clearly we need a more threatening passing game to have a viable offense. Maybe Shrader has a shoulder injury and that’s why he looks so bad? If so, that would give hope for future improvement, probably not this year though. The only immediate help I see is implementing more roll outs, Shrader seems to throw better while running. Why haven’t they done this already?

For next year, I find it unlikely that a good QB will transfer in with a starter solidly in place. Unless Babers flat out makes a promise to start him. Not likely.

The best hope might be maturation of Lamson. Maybe he’s a Capable thrower and can mix in some next year with Shrader? What do we hear about Lamson in practice? Is he legit?

Looking for a ray of hope here.

Florange44

We don't use him correctly. Then again when we have plays he can make the WRs/TEs don't make the play. I think they are the bigger issue.

Shrader struggles getting anything on the ball throwing it outside the hashes. Accuracy there as well. Doesn't matter if it is at the LOS or deep. There have been a few times where that almost resulted in an INT. He throws the ball decent in the middle of the field. Yet our deep passes tend to be more along the sideline. We need more of Alford running that VA Tech pattern. Or Pena vs Clemson. Where were the passes to Jackson yesterday? How does your best WR have 1 catch for zero yards?

He throws the ball well on the run. Look at the throw to Benson. So why do we keep him in the pocket when we struggle to keep a pocket? It also makes it easier for him to get a big run (see FSU game). Yet we have gone away from it since then.

Teams are selling out to stop the run. Wouldn't logic dictate to expose the Safeties by calling some play action passes? It is criminal that we do not call any.

We had two weeks to come up with a plan for attacking Louisville and it seemed like we had no plan. It is inexcusable that we did not use that time to tweak the passing O to fit Shrader's strengths.

Clearly we need a more threatening passing game to have a viable offense. Maybe Shrader has a shoulder injury and that’s why he looks so bad? If so, that would give hope for future improvement, probably not this year though. The only immediate help I see is implementing more roll outs, Shrader seems to throw better while running. Why haven’t they done this already?

For next year, I find it unlikely that a good QB will transfer in with a starter solidly in place. Unless Babers flat out makes a promise to start him. Not likely.

The best hope might be maturation of Lamson. Maybe he’s a Capable thrower and can mix in some next year with Shrader? What do we hear about Lamson in practice? Is he legit?

Florange44
The issue is not GS, it's Dino and Gilbert running that awful game plan. GS can throw the ball! No TE throws, few throws to the middle of the field, plus to much show boating and trash talking on both sides of the ball. For the love God, after making a play stop indicating an incomplete pass (ie: Chestnut)

The issue is not GS, it's Dino and Gilbert running that awful game plan. GS can throw the ball! No TE throws, few throws to the middle of the field, plus to much show boating and trash talking on both sides of the ball. For the love God, after making a play stop indicating an incomplete pass (ie: Chestnut)
Benson dropped 2 passes yesterday including a long gainer. That kind of kills a chunk of your argument.

We don't use him correctly. Then again when we have plays he can make the WRs/TEs don't make the play. I think they are the bigger issue.

Shrader struggles getting anything on the ball throwing it outside the hashes. Accuracy there as well. Doesn't matter if it is at the LOS or deep. There have been a few times where that almost resulted in an INT. He throws the ball decent in the middle of the field. Yet our deep passes tend to be more along the sideline. We need more of Alford running that VA Tech pattern. Or Pena vs Clemson. Where were the passes to Jackson yesterday? How does your best WR have 1 catch for zero yards?

He throws the ball well on the run. Look at the throw to Benson. So why do we keep him in the pocket when we struggle to keep a pocket? It also makes it easier for him to get a big run (see FSU game). Yet we have gone away from it since then.

Teams are selling out to stop the run. Wouldn't logic dictate to expose the Safeties by calling some play action passes? It is criminal that we do not call any.

We had two weeks to come up with a plan for attacking Louisville and it seemed like we had no plan. It is inexcusable that we did not use that time to tweak the passing O to fit Shrader's strengths.

Gilbert has to go. He’s awful and has been all season.

I find it more of a travesty that down 35 in the fourth quarter that we couldn’t give any of our backup QBs any run. I would have loved to see Lamson get a series. He can still redshirt. If Shrader is the best option, rest him and save some hits on the body for the last two games.

Florange44

How do you not put in Morgan for a few series in the fourth quarter when the game is completely out of reach. not only are you protecting Shrader‘s health but man if all these kids hit the portal now where are you.

He’s limited as a passer, which limits the offense. But as has been established, he does all the other stuff.

When you can’t establish the run and you can’t throw the results look like yesterdays.

I can’t recall what game I was watching yesterday or maybe it was Gameday but the announcer said the football factories don’t necessarily have the best coaches. They just have the Jimmys and Joes to make the coaches look good. They surmised that it’s more about recruiting than coaching.

He’s limited as a passer, which limits the offense. But as has been established, he does all the other stuff.

When you can’t establish the run and you can’t throw the results look like yesterdays.

except there are passing plays in football that can be run to his strengths, the roll out or a bootleg for example. There are plays that can mitigate some of his weaknesses and we don’t do any of them.

Quick question, When Courtney Jackson goes in motion has he ever taken one of those on a jet sweep? I’m not sure he has….it’s so stupid to run that motion a 1000x when he’s not getting the ball. That one particular thing it’s just a pet peeve of mine

Last edited:
I can’t recall what game I was watching yesterday or maybe it was Gameday but the announcer said the football factories don’t necessarily have the best coaches. They just have the Jimmys and Joes to make the coaches look good. They surmised that it’s more about recruiting than coaching.
Not so much in SUs case. Dino is a below average head coach. He is one of the main problems with this team.

Prior to yesterday I bought into the idea that Shrader's legs may just be enough of an offset to Tucker's legs to survive essentially no passing game.

I was wrong.

We need a QB that poses a threat to throw for us to have a properly functioning offense. Period. Love Shrader's legs, but this passing game is a liability.

Gotcha, so because of that it is ok for the coaches to call a bland game plan?
No game plan works when DCs know our WRs can't get open and our oline gets dominated. This loss was not due to strategy. It was due to their guys beating up our guys. The WR thing has been a problem all year and won't change in the last two games. Do you honestly think Dino doesn't want to throw downfield? Did you watch this team the first 3 years he was here?

I except there are passing plays in football that can be run to his strengths, the roll out or a bootleg for example. There are plays that can mitigate some of this and we don’t do any of them.

Quick question, When Courtney Jackson goes in motion has he ever taken one of those on a jet sweep? I’m not sure he has….it’s so stupid to run that motion a 1000x when he’s not getting the ball. That one particular thing it’s just a pet peeve of mine
I think we've given it to him and Pena now and then. They show 5 carries between them on the season. I think that may sometimes be a read thing too where Shrader decides whether to give it or keep it.

People held up shafer keeping Dungey in late in a blowout and getting hurt as a reason to fire him. He kept both GS and tucker into the final whistle. Imagine what could have happened if tucker had gotten hurt. Why not let backups play when you are down 40 with 5 minutes to go

No game plan works when DCs know our WRs can't get open and our oline gets dominated. This loss was not due to strategy. It was due to their guys beating up our guys. The WR thing has been a problem all year and won't change in the last two games. Do you honestly think Dino doesn't want to throw downfield? Did you watch this team the first 3 years he was here?
Of course he does just like ALL coaches but he is responsible for the players he brings in. It is all on Dino.

This!!!

I wish Courtney would tell Gilbert they aren’t even looking at him. This kind of stuff is so basic that it makes me think gilly is in over his head.

Agreed. Listen to Shraders post game press conference. He basically says the game plan and play calling didnt give them a chance.
Yet again the offensive coordinator hire will be what sinks yet another one of our coaches

Putting aside the insanity of leaving Shrader and Tucker in long after the outcome was decided, I kept wondering about our supposedly "deep" QB room.

Do we not have a guy that is a compromise between Shrader and Devito? A guy who has better legs than Devito, maybe not as good as those of Shrader, but a better arm? It might have been nice to try that guy (if he exists) for a series or two. If not in a blowout, then when?

I love Shrader when it succeeds within the limitations that we have but it also presents a ceiling on what we can ultimately do. I sadly expect some QB movement in the off-season because we have too many guys for too little eventual playing time.

Of course he does just like ALL coaches but he is responsible for the players he brings in. It is all on Dino.
No doubt he's responible for bringing in players, but that's not what you were saying. You said it was a bland game plan. You're changing your argument. If you want to say he's failed at bringing in WRs that allow the offense to be what it's supposed to, I'm with you. That's completely different than saying they intentionally used a bland game plan.

Florange44
I am not sure why we do not role the qb out more. Maybe it’s my perception but it seems DB wants to keep the qb in the pocket. I remember JM last year looked really good rolling from the pocket and making plays. SU had a buy and than it seemed like he was told to stay in the pocket. He did not roll out and it seemed awkward for him. I really do not see GS rolling out unless he is flushed from the pocket. Like I said my perception and could be wrong.