Class of 2017 QB Tommy DeVito (NJ) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Discussion in 'Football Recruiting Forum' started by CuseLegacy, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUfaninAZ

SUfaninAZ Starter

And that's all we ask.

Banion, rackman18, SUFaninNJ and 6 others like this.
  2. bcubs9497

bcubs9497 All Conference

You WANT your kid to redshirt. I WANTED Steven to redshirt. Extra time to get acclimated and prepare for the rigors of ACC football (our conference is a ball breaker). Also, means that he can get a year of grad school in.

Shark58, CIL, Ish88888 and 28 others like this.
  3. care taker

care taker 2nd String

again I see all the points . I'm impatient by nature lol

4. TexanMark

TexanMark Tailgating Guru

We all are...I want TD to come in and compete like he expects to be the starter. If it happens this year then I hope it is because he beat out ED fair and square.

BL: As fans we crave wins over individual stats or who starts. As a parent you have a different expectation. I understand that totally. Hopefully as a parent Syracuse will be a great experience for you watching your son turn from boy to man. We need all the fans we can grow.

BTW, I'm sending you a private message about our away road trips. It is a great way to meet some of the guys and gals who post here.

5. cuse309

cuse309 Starter

to clarify...I don't think there is ANY way TD passes ED for the #1 spot. I was just bringing up the schedule in response to someone saying he doesn't play Texas, Florida type talent.

JrodCuse likes this.
  6. Cuse House

Cuse House All Conference

I expect TD to redshirt and for ED to be our starter the next two seasons. TD steps in as a redshirt sophomore with talent around him far above what we've seen at Cuse in awhile, thanks to Dino and his offense. TD proceeds to lead us to our first 10 win season in a long time.

Orangepace, JrodCuse and OrangeDW like this.
  7. Dave

Dave Walk On

Tommy Gun.

Orangepace, JrodCuse and TheCusian like this.
  8. OrangeXtreme

OrangeXtreme The Mayor of Dewitt Staff Member

9. texascpa

texascpa Hall of Fame

You and me both. I am excited for what I expect from TD.

That said, what will your mindset, or TD's, be if he ends up redshirting? I know TD has already stated he doesn't expect to redshirt.

10. AAM62

AAM62 Starter

He wound up not redshirting, right?

11. care taker

care taker 2nd String

I'm honest to a fault if my son knows the system and out performs all the others qb's and doesn't get the job I will ask for an explanation of why , ( now you may say who are you to ? a coach but ) as I was told what he would have to do to earn that spot and he does it than I will need to hear why . this happened his soph year at DBP it was an outrage to all , assistant coaches left, player revolted it was ugly , it cost Tommy not being a 5 star and being at the likes of Notre Dame , I feel blessed as it all worked out and i firmly believe Cuse can help him the most in the real world. But I made it clear if he is better he will play or else ... lol All anyone ask in life is a fair chance and I told coach no disrespect but I was sold Bs at Bosco and I wanted to be clear on how serious I was . Believe me if anyone out performs him I will be the first to tip my cap .

Louie and Bouie likes this.
  12. Trueblue25

Trueblue25 Living Legend

Anyone here will say the same thing. Dino Babers expects his players to learn his system and play his way. The one, at the time being, who can execute his strategy at the highest level will see the most snaps.

13. orangefog

orangefog Voted "Best Looking Poster" 6 years in a row

I respect your feelings on this and understand them, but I really wish I could unread this. Your son seems to work his butt off and I am really excited to have him at Syracuse.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    JHarris44, clayman32, Banion and 7 others like this.
  14. SUforme

SUforme 2nd String

Yeah I'm not liking this exchange on the forum. Also how could anyone say he's outplayed Dungey if the coach does not in fact agree? Also really he says "or else"?

15. bcubs9497

bcubs9497 All Conference

Yep. He's been busting his ass off ever since. Roughly 16-18 hours, on average, each semester. Wished he would've got that redshirt.

Shark58, Ish88888 and PAcuse like this.
  16. SUfaninAZ

SUfaninAZ Starter

Me thinks someone is going to take his toys and go home.

Cusester likes this.
  17. Deano

Deano All American

Here's what I hope for this year. Dungey has an injury free filled season and kills it. Decides to forgo his senior year due to being told him he's going to be a decent pick in the draft. TD then has a great shot at starting QB as a redshirt freshman.

SUskibum and OttoinGrotto like this.
  18. 721Comstock

721Comstock All Conference

Agreed - probably should delete this post, and we'll all pretend it never happened.
    Not a good look, at all.

I'm sure Dino, Lewis, et. al. will give TD every chance to compete for the starting spot.
    They showed last year that the best players play, regardless of age or experience, period.

That said -
    the odds of TD coming in as a true Frosh, and, just in the summer sessions, outperforming all the other QB's on the roster; including 2 of which who have been the starter and backup for most of 2 seasons already, that have TWO full Spring sessions, TWO full summers, and each with a partial season of real, live game reps in the system (plus another years' experience in the old system)-
    have got to be pretty long odds.

If TD doesn't win the starting job, there will be zero shenanigans involved.
    It will be because one or more of the incumbents was better, as of now.

19. care taker

care taker 2nd String

I was asked how I would feel if he red shirted it was a true response. I simply warned the coach and maybe that comes out as strong but I was just being honest with him by asking him to be honest with me . Coaches will say anything to get a recruit and I wanted to be assured at that moment we were talking man to man . If your straight up and lay all the cards on the table right from the get go so there is no mis understanding. A big reason why we chose cuse was coach babers was a hand shake old school guy like myself . I promised him in April we would not waver as our word is out bond . Italians in particular are like that . The or else meant if you go back on your word when you look me in the eye and shake my hand is exactly that or else. Or else means we would be upset and if not given factual reasons as to what or why we would take action that's best for us . Lack of communication is what leads to problems being clear and up front is what makes relationships blossom . Coach wanted to believe we were committed but he has and all coaches have been burned in the past . But at every turn every offer we contacted him not to worry. I trust coach and he trust me . In a nut shell I asked what are the scenarios and how do you chose s starter and I expect him to be a man of his word . If Td is first or fifth it is what it is as long as it's fair . What is wrong with my statements ? In high school coach toal said the best player plays but then he went back and said I don't play sophomore Qb's at Don Bosco now had he said that when we interviewed we would have gone another route . So he lied to us and that's why having a clear understanding was most important to us . Its my job to protect my son and make sure we aren't being duped . Loyalty and hand shakes are rare but that's the way I roll , I teach my boy to roll and I trust coach . cuse fans are in a good spot at Qb no matter what happens so enjoy it. Nobody's opinion matters except coach babers . My son met ray rice today he is going to coach at Bosco , he was new head coach Mike Teel's rb. Sad he messed up and now the best he can do is coach rbs at HS. But that's good for bosco .

Shark58, bevosu, TexanMark and 9 others like this.
  20. rrlbees

rrlbees 2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner Staff Member

I think this thread, which was a recruiting thread, has run its course.

Tommy is an Orangeman now and I am sure will compete hard for the QB job, as he should. Coach Babers will play the guy who gives us the best chance to win, as he should.

It's all good and we don't want to see this thread turn into a war of words or take an unintended turn.

We're all Orange.

21. CuseLegacy

CuseLegacy Twitter Wizard Staff Member

22. CuseLegacy

CuseLegacy Twitter Wizard Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.