Class of 2020 - QB Tyler Van Dyke (CT) Portal from Miami to Wisconsin | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Tyler Van Dyke (CT) Portal from Miami to Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve had a number of good and great qb’s and I expect we’ll attract the next great QB recruit no matter who it ends up being. For now, I’m looking forward to the Devito era. He’s going to be different than Dungey Mcnabb, Mcpherson, etc, but think he’ll be among the greats when he’s done. LGO!!
And we've had a number of very poor QBs too. I think our biggest failure as a program for us to slowly become one of the worst programs through the 2000s was our failure to recruit a quality QB after Mcnabb left. We had some good players on our team but our list of QBs from Nunes on over that time period were the reason we lost our momentum and lost so many.

I don’t know. Some of these young men might view the challenge and look to win out. I am not sure a QB changes his mind initially to what would be presumably a competitive opportunity. Not sure I want a QB who is not willing to compete either. If after competing he doesn’t get the nod, I get he might make a decision but barring the current kid in Miami winning the Heisman, I would be surprised that “competition “ scared him off.

So what if he flipped to SU and then we landed Veilleux in 2021?

If you're an elite QB you should have an elite QB mentality. I don't want a kid who is afraid of competition.
Odds are we wouldn't. A Bird in the hand is better than anything in the bush.
I just want a top QB signed, on campus, playing well, at SU, to replace Devito is 3-4 yrs.

So what if he flipped to SU and then we landed Veilleux in 2021?

If you're an elite QB you should have an elite QB mentality. I don't want a kid who is afraid of competition.
I don't think Veilleux is considered elite. Good, but not elite.

I don't think Veilleux is considered elite. Good, but not elite.

I agree with your assessment of Veilleux, but bnoro's point still stands - no QB worth his salt should fear being recruited-over. And even if that occurs, in todays climate, how hard is it just to transfer to school "x" where they might need a QB?

I agree with your assessment of Veilleux, but bnoro's point still stands - no QB worth his salt should fear being recruited-over. And even if that occurs, in todays climate, how hard is it just to transfer to school "x" where they might need a QB?
A smart family does the numbers not to get in a numbers game. The Devito were very smart in weighing everything. It doesn't mean he couldn't have won the job in other places-it's playing the odds right.

A smart family does the numbers not to get in a numbers game. The Devito were very smart in weighing everything. It doesn't mean he couldn't have won the job in other places-it's playing the odds right.

Nothing wrong with looking at a roster and seeing how you might fit. Worrying about who might commit in future classes shows a lack of conviction in one's own ability.

I agree with bnoro in the fact that an elite quarterback is never looking over his shoulder at who is coming in behind him or at his side with who might come in with him. The focus is on themselves and the talent they possess and the really good ones should actually welcome the competition. Tommy DeVito has that mentality and talent. When he was doing the Elite 11 stuff back in 2016, Sam Ehlinger (current University of Texas quarterback) didn't get picked in the Texas regional and then went to the Northeast regional and competed against DeVito and DeVito beat him out as the #1 in the region. It wasn't close. I give Tommy DeVito lots of credit for picking Syracuse University and then sticking to it when the "bigger" schools came calling. I believe the young man will put a lot of smiles on the faces of Syracuse University Football Fans this year and for as long as he plays at Syracuse. Go Orange!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree. Opportunity is important. Coaches have "their guy". Beating out an incumbent can be hard. Often, being just a little bit better is not enough. Coaches often think "better the devil you know"

The biggest worry I have with being in a continued holding pattern for DeVito’s replacement is the effect it has on other offensive recruits.

We’re not established enough yet to just have 4 star skill position players trust in the program.

Clemson is obviously on a level of their own, but they already have Trevor Lawrence’s successor lined up.

Doesn't mean they're smart. I'm looking at you Justin Fields, Hunter Johnson, and numerous other top, talented Qbs who had to transfer. Heck, Tom Brady almost got missed due to the hype of Drew Henson
I agree with bnoro in the fact that an elite quarterback is never looking over his shoulder at who is coming in behind him or at his side with who might come in with him. The focus is on themselves and the talent they possess and the really good ones should actually welcome the competition. Tommy DeVito has that mentality and talent. When he was doing the Elite 11 stuff back in 2016, Sam Ehlinger (current University of Texas quarterback) didn't get picked in the Texas regional and then went to the Northeast regional and competed against DeVito and DeVito beat him out as the #1 in the region. It wasn't close. I give Tommy DeVito lots of credit for picking Syracuse University and then sticking to it when the "bigger" schools came calling. I believe the young man will put a lot of smiles on the faces of Syracuse University Football Fans this year and for as long as he plays at Syracuse. Go Orange!!!!!

The biggest worry I have with being in a continued holding pattern for DeVito’s replacement is the effect it has on other offensive recruits.

We’re not established enough yet to just have 4 star skill position players trust in the program.

Clemson is obviously on a level of their own, but they already have Trevor Lawrence’s successor lined up.
I think we already have DeVito's replacement already in the program -- David Summers.

Maybe we have his replacement, maybe we don’t. Summers certainly has the potential. I am not worried about him having the yips in camp, they are probably asking him to make some adjustments. That said I fully expect we will get another couple QBs and it will be fully open competition by the time TD has departed.

I think we already have DeVito's replacement already in the program -- David Summers.
I hope not. I saw him throwing dirt balls. Maybe he has a dead arm cause his video was way better but they always are. Nervous here.

I hope not. I saw him throwing dirt balls. Maybe he has a dead arm cause his video was way better but they always are. Nervous here.
Ryan Nassib consistently did the same thing on throws to the flat and it drove me nuts. He was drafted by the Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.