Class of 2020 - QB Tyler Van Dyke (CT) Portal from Miami to Wisconsin | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Tyler Van Dyke (CT) Portal from Miami to Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a big TVD fan but coaches are smart and don't put all of their eggs in one basket. Haven't been in love with a lot of the 2020 kids I've watched but I think there's some big fish we have a good shot at in 2021.

If we don't get a legitimate 2020 kid then '21 is absurdly vital to our future. We have nothing to show for the '18 QB class, went B/C list in '19 and now lost our top option in '20. If Summers doesn't turn into something than we are going to be living like we did from 2016-2018 where we are 1 injury away from disaster.

I've yet to be let down by Babers era recruiting. They need to find one - and they will.

cuse45 Also, if it makes you feel any better, the staff will be considering Van Dyke an option until he actually signs on the dotted line. We got Nunn back to us last year from Miami just last cycle. Things can change. Priorities can change for the teams and kids involved. Worrying too much about kids decision right now isn't worth it.

I hear you. I've been following recruiting for a long time (I just rarely post). Don't think we have any real threat of bring him back to the good side. It is unfortunate to me, as I thought he was one of the best qb recruits we have had a real shot with in a long time.

I trust Dino and his eye for quarterback.

I've yet to be let down by Babers era recruiting. They need to find one - and they will.

QB recruiting seems to be the only thing that has been a little iffy. Have 1 major hit on TD and nothing behind him. Which is fine if he is healthy because we should have him for the next 3 years but any multi-week injury to him in the next 2/3 years would be catastrophic.

They are younger and more stocked than us so far as scholarship QB's (2 Redshirt Soph. and RS Frosh.) and just added another Redshirt Soph. Tate Martell (former 5-star recruit) via transfer so their depth chart was more crowded than ours currently. Can't see how it was a selling point based upon the numbers although coaches can spin things any way they want to get a commitment.
You can bet they will over recruit and someone will transfer.

QB recruiting seems to be the only thing that has been a little iffy. Have 1 major hit on TD and nothing behind him. Which is fine if he is healthy because we should have him for the next 3 years but any multi-week injury to him in the next 2/3 years would be catastrophic.
Amie was a good pickup at the time. Just didn't pan out.

We don't know yet what Summers will be.

DeVito was the really important one to get, and we got him.

Also, he's going to rewrite our record book, so that's exciting.

Amie was a good pickup at the time. Just didn't pan out.

We don't know yet what Summers will be.

DeVito was the really important one to get, and we got him.

Also, he's going to rewrite our record book, so that's exciting.

Agreed. Babers has been here for four recruiting cycles, and landed a QB with P5 offers in each class.
  • Culpepper [commitable offers from OSU / Clemson -- granted, a holdover from Shafer's staff]
  • Devito
  • Amie
  • Summers
Amie flunked out. We hope that Devito is everything that we dream he can be. Summers is TBD.

But unproven doesn't mean that QB recruiting has been iffy. If / when Babers and staff continue to bring in QB recruits of this caliber, in another year or two things won't seem so unsettled. Devito will be firmly entrenched, we'll know what Summers can do, and we'll have more prospects in the pipeline.

The bigger issue was that there was a three year gap between Eric Dungey and Devito devoid of quality QBs, creating the current vacuum.

I’ll also add that the while I do not know the circumstances of Dungey’s prospects as a pro, it is not a good look when an inferior QB like McSorley gets drafted and ED does not. I am sure their are reasons but that meathead father/son duo from Ped State are not as good as ED was. It’s not close.

His injury history has hurt him on that front unfortunately.

Agreed. Babers has been here for four recruiting cycles, and landed a QB with P5 offers in each class.
  • Culpepper [commitable offers from OSU / Clemson -- granted, a holdover from Shafer's staff]
  • Devito
  • Amie
  • Summers
Amie flunked out. We hope that Devito is everything that we dream he can be. Summers is TBD.

But unproven doesn't mean that QB recruiting has been iffy. If / when Babers and staff continue to bring in QB recruits of this caliber, in another year or two things won't seem so unsettled. Devito will be firmly entrenched, we'll know what Summers can do, and we'll have more prospects in the pipeline.

The bigger issue was that there was a three year gap between Eric Dungey and Devito devoid of quality QBs, creating the current vacuum.

Yup. It's his eye for QB talent that hasn't let us down yet. It's a small sample pool, sure - but given his time at Bowling Green, time with Garoppolo, Eric's progression, TD and their comfortable attitude with Welch at #2 - I'd say we're in good hands.

Yeah I'm not worried about QB with this staff at all. I think the bigger loss here is the buzz with a 4 star QB recruit this early in the cycle and the impact it could potentially have on on other skill position recruits as far as momentum. But whether we end up with a 2 star or 4 star I'm pretty confident the staff has the ability to bring in a QB recruit that will affect the depth chart and not Matt Hale 2.0.

Yeah I'm not worried about QB with this staff at all. I think the bigger loss here is the buzz with a 4 star QB recruit this early in the cycle and the impact it could potentially have on on other skill position recruits as far as momentum. But whether we end up with a 2 star or 4 star I'm pretty confident the staff has the ability to bring in a QB recruit that will affect the depth chart and not Matt Hale 2.0.
You never know how kids will pan out. How would y'all like to be Florida right now. Their four star Freshman QB, Jalon Jones, who enrolled early is now transferring. Nothing is ever certain...even after they sign their LOI.

Let's look at it from this perspective and make it a little more manageable:

Let's ask ourselves when the last time a 4 star QB recruit chose another school over Syracuse?

That answer would be "always." (Not including Devito here because I don't believe he was consensus 4 star)

Syracuse will get through this, and I bet we get a pretty nice recruit to substitute for Van Dyke

You never know how kids will pan out. How would y'all like to be Florida right now. Their four star Freshman QB, Jalon Jones, who enrolled early is now transferring. Nothing is ever certain...even after they sign their LOI.
We have had stuff like that happen to us so many times I care not to recall. When I read a headline like that it reminds me of this programs history and how they’ve occurred at the most inopportune times. Same with the basketball program (ie players getting suspended 10 minutes before the NCAAs)

If Devito has a big year I think it could open us up to all of the big time Freshman qbs that bail after a year at their schools. Most years a bunch of 4* guys hit the transfer market. With Devito heading into his RS-JR season and nothing behind him, it could be a fairly desirable spot for the kids that end up 3rd on the depth chart at one of the powerhouses that bring in Elite 11 kids every cycle.

Disappointed. He seemed like a great chance to get. But I trust HCDB to navigate the shifting currents of recruiting. Some very talented kid is going to great a great opportunity, to play for a great HC, in a QB-friendly offense at Syracuse. And better to lose out on him now than in December.

Last edited:
If Devito has a big year I think it could open us up to all of the big time Freshman qbs that bail after a year at their schools. Most years a bunch of 4* guys hit the transfer market. With Devito heading into his RS-JR season and nothing behind him, it could be a fairly desirable spot for the kids that end up 3rd on the depth chart at one of the powerhouses that bring in Elite 11 kids every cycle.
That's an interesting thought.

I agree on the transfer market but not nothing behind DeVito. We have yet to see Summers.

I agree on the transfer market but not nothing behind DeVito. We have yet to see Summers.
I agree, I want to see what we have. We may have something just as good as what is out there.

He is a big loss period. Lets not pull a Rutgers. Still at the end of the day Dino won't have any problem landing a good QB. Between HS Juco transfer and Grad we are going to be fine. Eric didn't throw a good ball and we won 10 games. Granted he won games with his legs still Dinos got this. Good luck to the red head in Miami. Time to move on.

BREAKING: Miami has its quarterback. Tyler Van Dyke commits to Manny Diaz, Dan Enos and #TNM after a secret trip down to Coral Gable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom