Class of 2020 - D'Eriq King Transferring from Houston | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 D'Eriq King Transferring from Houston

Obviously King isn't coming to Syracuse but this would be one of the only situations where I'd probably be willing to create a mess. He's THAT good. Ramifications are that Tommy would likely bolt and then you're going portal shopping again next year since the cupboard is completely bare. This isn't happening but makes for good message board fodder to think about.

Sorry Chugg if I wasn't clear, I was talking about HS players.

Those teams need one year gaps while they recruit or develop 4 star or 5 Star QBs.
Syracuse doesn’t need a one year band-aid. We need depth at the position for the future.

Not hard to understand the point.
I will take any player to upgrade any and all positions on the team. We need wins.

Those teams need one year gaps while they recruit or develop 4 star or 5 Star QBs.
Syracuse doesn’t need a one year band-aid. We need depth at the position for the future.

Not hard to understand the point.

If we got a guy who can play for one year at LSU I am absolutely fine showing Devito the bench for the year and letting him play here. I wouldnt hesitate for a second.

Tbe
The question is more like...how the heck was Park even aware of this kid or the transfer portal.
I think your mind would be blown at the amount of overall research and knowledge he has prepared and needs to do his job well. Guy knows his stuff.

Tbe

I think your mind would be blown at the amount of overall research and knowledge he has prepared and needs to do his job well. Guy knows his stuff.
What I was saying is that I don't think most people, besides this group, would pay any attention to the transfer portal or recruiting unless it is directly involved in their job. He has never tweeted out about kids in the portal before. Odd random tweet from him.

What I was saying is that I don't think most people, besides this group, would pay any attention to the transfer portal or recruiting unless it is directly involved in their job. He has never tweeted out about kids in the portal before. Odd random tweet from him.

Agreed. At the very least he saw the headline on espn.com but he still would’ve had to connect some dots. It was an odd random for sure.

FWIW. I'm not sure why Park would tweet this unless he thought there was some interest.

Matt Park should absolutely NOT be commenting on recruiting, unless it is a signed kid that has been officially announced by SU.

Quite frankly, I’m stunned he’d do it. And that it hasn’t been deleted already. Guy is the mouthpiece of the Athletic Department - in what world is speculating on transfer recruits OK?

Matt Park should absolutely NOT be commenting on recruiting, unless it is a signed kid that has been officially announced by SU.

Quite frankly, I’m stunned he’d do it. And that it hasn’t been deleted already. Guy is the mouthpiece of the Athletic Department - in what world is speculating on transfer recruits OK?
All he did was retweet that someone was in the transfer portal. Public knowledge. He didn't say anything about SU interest.

All he did was retweet that someone was in the transfer portal. Public knowledge. He didn't say anything about SU interest.

The emojis are just as good as comment. And even without an emoji, his retweet is a comment, too.

The emojis are just as good as comment. And even without an emoji, his retweet is a comment, too.
G_20200114_2317341.gif

Completely agree. Senseless but interesting nonetheless.

it’s nowhere near a violation if that’s what you’re getting at.

Didn't imply that it was. Just a really bad look for him on an individual level, in my opinion. And here's why.

He has to work with coaches on a daily basis. Whether that's coaches shows, pre-game interviews, on-air spots for Cuse.com, etc., he's the mouthpiece and an employee of the University -- for better and worse. If he was a full-on member of the media like Mike Waters or Stephen Bailey -- that's one thing. It's their job to speculate about recruiting. It is most certainly not his job.

If he's speculating about a recruit on Twitter, he better damn well have the encouragement of the coaching staff to do so. And know that our coaching staff is engaged and has a really good shot at landing the recruit (i.e. close to 100% chance).

Knowing our coaching staff and how close to the vest they are, I would guess he does not have that encouragement. Which could lead to access issues and such down the road.

Reading the tea leaves, I also don't think we have a high probability of landing this player. Which makes me feel even more strongly about Park putting it out there publicly.

Last edited:
Okayyy. Not sure why you think this is an issue. He pointed out something that is now public. There was no "speculation".

As a Syracuse University employee, he pointed out a non-Syracuse University student-athlete is transferring.

At best, it is completely bizarre. At worst, it is an action that is not endorsed by the coaching staff which could impact his relationship with them.

Do you think the football coaching staff really wants someone who works with them/for them speculating about recruits?

As a Syracuse University employee, he pointed out a non-Syracuse University student-athlete is transferring.

At best, it is completely bizarre. At worst, it is an action that is not endorsed by the coaching staff which could impact his relationship with them.

Do you think the football coaching staff really wants someone who works with them/for them speculating about recruits?
Couldn't disagree with you more.

What these kids do is news whether you like it or not and reporting on that news isn't any different than reporting anything else.

Coaches are held to NCAA rules, everyone else is not. Period.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

What these kids do is news whether you like it or not and reporting on that news isn't any different than reporting anything else.

Coaches are held to NCAA rules, everyone else is not. Period.

Do you work with an NCAA football team? Or an NCAA athletic department?

What's OK for those outside of the umbrella are usually not OK for those underneath it.

All employees are held to NCAA rules, bud. Read a rulebook. And quite frankly, this is not a rulebook issue. It's a matter of common sense.

since I always listen to the mighty CL, I will bring it back to QBs:

doubt King is coming here, Martin may not even be on staff at this point for all we know and if he is, don't think it will matter.

would be surprised if we can get Hornsby to visit, but boy would I love it

I want McLemore and a JUCO/undergrad transfer. where are they? I want them NOW!!

Maybe king can win and we pick up TVD on the rebound next year. would be a R.So after devito leaves

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom