Question for the Golfers About Drumlins | Syracusefan.com

Question for the Golfers About Drumlins

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Hello, folks. How many of you golf at Drumlins? What is your impression of Drumlins versus other country clubs around town?

I have an advertising opportunity there and welcome your feedback as to how busy, quality of course and quality of clientele. Is this a good opportunity to reach people who are buying, selling or starting new businesses?

Thank you for any and all opinions.

Only thing I can tell you is that they have two courses:

East: private
West: Public

Hello, folks. How many of you golf at Drumlins? What is your impression of Drumlins versus other country clubs around town?

I have an advertising opportunity there and welcome your feedback as to how busy, quality of course and quality of clientele. Is this a good opportunity to reach people who are buying, selling or starting new businesses?

Thank you for any and all opinions.
Ive played both courses countless times going back to the mid to late 80's when I played junior golf and was there for basically every junior tournament every season.

Public Side (west) - course is ok. Some decent holes but for the most part pretty wide open, especially when you get up into the back side. First few holes are conditioned ok but then in the summer it gets pretty rock hard up top. Fairways burn out pretty easy up top and its a lot of back and forth golf. Definitely dont put the money into it that they put into the private side. Greens are pretty slow but roll ok. Clientele is mostly guys who just want to play and dont care about the conditions much, young college kids who can get out there and play all summer for little cost. You wont be finding any high end players or businessmen/women playing here.

Private side (east) - back in the day this place was pristine. Really took care of it and it was a pleasure to play. Its still decent but IMO its lost its luster a little. Greens can be quick and usually are good. They have done some work adding length to tees. Back side is a little quirky and gimmicky but for the most part its not a bad place to play. They still host some NYS qualifiers there as well as some district events. Clientele is more professionals, guys and gals who work in more white collar places, want that private club distinction and if need be can have access to the public side as well.

As far as the private side and how it compares to other private courses in the area, its low on the totem pole. Tuscarora, Bellevue, Cavalry, Onondaga, Skaneateles are all ahead of Drumlins.

Ive played both courses countless times going back to the mid to late 80's when I played junior golf and was there for basically every junior tournament every season.

Public Side (west) - course is ok. Some decent holes but for the most part pretty wide open, especially when you get up into the back side. First few holes are conditioned ok but then in the summer it gets pretty rock hard up top. Fairways burn out pretty easy up top and its a lot of back and forth golf. Definitely dont put the money into it that they put into the private side. Greens are pretty slow but roll ok. Clientele is mostly guys who just want to play and dont care about the conditions much, young college kids who can get out there and play all summer for little cost. You wont be finding any high end players or businessmen/women playing here.

Private side (east) - back in the day this place was pristine. Really took care of it and it was a pleasure to play. Its still decent but IMO its lost its luster a little. Greens can be quick and usually are good. They have done some work adding length to tees. Back side is a little quirky and gimmicky but for the most part its not a bad place to play. They still host some NYS qualifiers there as well as some district events. Clientele is more professionals, guys and gals who work in more white collar places, want that private club distinction and if need be can have access to the public side as well.

As far as the private side and how it compares to other private courses in the area, its low on the totem pole. Tuscarora, Bellevue, Cavalry, Onondaga, Skaneateles are all ahead of Drumlins.

Thank you!

I played high school golf there and have played both a lot since. East is pretty low on the private list in the area. Bellevue Onondaga Calvary and tusc are the biggest ones. Tusc has put alot of money into the course and facilities the past 5 years. I would look there and Bellevue for advertising.

I played high school golf there and have played both a lot since. East is pretty low on the private list in the area. Bellevue Onondaga Calvary and tusc are the biggest ones. Tusc has put alot of money into the course and facilities the past 5 years. I would look there and Bellevue for advertising.

Thank you! Very useful.

As a terrible golfer, I adore the public course because it's pretty accessible and makes playing pretty fun. And during the warmer months, I think it's beautiful. Be wary of the throngs of SU students lining up to play, though, students have a walk-up policy so it might take a bit to tee off with a huge group in front of you

As a terrible golfer, I adore the public course because it's pretty accessible and makes playing pretty fun. And during the warmer months, I think it's beautiful. Be wary of the throngs of SU students lining up to play, though, students have a walk-up policy so it might take a bit to tee off with a huge group in front of you

Have you ever bounced a ball off the roof of the tennis club and landed it on the 18th green?

Bonus points if you made the birdie putt.

Have you ever bounced a ball off the roof of the tennis club and landed it on the 18th green?

I've sat many a golf ball on that roof. I don't think I've actually ever successfully put one on the green. Fringes a plenty, but never on the carpet. My favorite hole is probably the third hole on the public side (11?) with the straightaway drive right at the green.

Yes I banked one off the roof and landed on the green. 3-Putt fir bogey

There used to be an old 18th hold adjacent to that 18th hole (which was always known as 9a) that was a longer par 3 that they rarely used. Its now part of the practice facility i believe

Last edited:

I played in a fraternity golf outing and Mike Hopkins played for, I think, SAM. He was waiting on the 18th as our group was one of the leaders. I hit one to like 2 inches for a tap in on that crazy last hole.

It was good to take down Mike. This must have been 97-98 time frame. He was graduate assistant?

About 100 times, also nailed the bottom of the flag stick from up there from up there and wound up making a double which sucked. Always remember the choice of hitting of an astro turf mat or dirt from up there. I worked at Drumlins as a kid and played both courses 1,000 times.

The first 7 holes of the public course are fine, then when you get to the top it's one of the most boring courses in the history of golf. I think the 6th hole public is the best hole of either of the two courses.

Last edited:
About 100 times, also nailed the bottom of the flag stick from up there from up there and wound up making a double which sucked. Always remember the choice of hitting of an astro turf mat or dirt from up there. I worked at Drumlins as a kid and played both courses 1,000 times.

The first 7 holes of the public course are fine, then when you get to the top it's one of the most boring courses in the history of golf. I think the 6th hole public is the best hole of either of the two courses.
its funny how people interpret holes. I think 6 is the worst golf hole on the property and that saying something because 11 and 13 on the private are beyond awful. The green could be the worst green in golf.