Question for the UConn fans | Syracusefan.com

Question for the UConn fans

Knicks411

Living Legend
I didn't want to post on the boneyard, but I know there are Uconn fans who post here.

I was reading over there that some of you feel you are being punished twice for the APR thing, since they lost the scholarships a few years back.

Is it really being punished twice though? They had one year with a really poor score; but that year is counting to count in a rolling 4 year period for 4 years. So it contributed to the bad score that gave them the lost scholarships, but it's also contributing to the poor score that is meaning they are out of the tournament.

So setting aside the fairness of the APR, and the wisdom of a score from 4 or 5 years ago or whatever putting them out of the tournament, what am I missing here? (I probably am missing something, to be fair).

They're grasping at straws over there, thinking of any possible way they can avoid this ban.

5% chance it gets overturned, if that.

What, or which players, caused the bad score and for which year?

What, or which players, caused the bad score and for which year?
Darius Smith, Jamal Trice, Ben Eaves, Jamaal Combs-McDaniel, Doug Wiggins and Jonathan Mandledove (off the top of my head, might be more) all transferred. Thabeet left early for the draft.

AO is tranferring but sounds like he'll finish out the semester so they should be ok there...

What you see there could be us in 12 months...I'm not a fan of the APR
I think a change in the APR is coming honestly. UConn will still be screwed for next year; but the message is heard loud and clear across the country. I think they wanted to make an example out of somebody, and it happened to be the Huskies. I think they'll adjust it for early entries.
Call me crazy but i think dion leaves in good standing
You're crazy

So we just assume everyone who leaves early for us will leave in bad standing? Ill take dions word, i guess thats crazy

Darius Smith, Jamal Trice, Ben Eaves, Jamaal Combs-McDaniel, Doug Wiggins and Jonathan Mandledove (off the top of my head, might be more) all transferred. Thabeet left early for the draft.

AO is tranferring but sounds like he'll finish out the semester so they should be ok there...
I've literally never heard of any of those guys except McDaniel and Thabeet obviously. Was every player in poor academic standing?

Also - I know SU fans shouldn't talk because we're apparently on this ice also, but could just Fab ruin this for us? Haven't the following players graduated in the pst 2-3 seasons?

Rick
AO
Scoop
Kris
Devo
Andy

I'd imagine BT, Dirty, Rak, Cooney, MCW, Fair, and Baye are all in good academic standing, no? How can 1-2 (Fab and whispers of Dion) screw a team of 13 schollies plus walkons?

I've literally never heard of any of those guys except McDaniel and Thabeet obviously. Was every player in poor academic standing?

Also - I know SU fans shouldn't talk because we're apparently on this ice also, but could just Fab ruin this for us? Haven't the following players graduated in the pst 2-3 seasons?

Rick
AO
Scoop
Kris
Devo
Andy

I'd imagine BT, Dirty, Rak, Cooney, MCW, Fair, and Baye are all in good academic standing, no? How can 1-2 (Fab and whispers of Dion) screw a team of 13 schollies plus walkons?
UConn runs A LOT of players in and out. Calhoun geninuely runs it like an NBA team. If he's not impressed with you after 1 or 2 years, he'll call you into his office and basically be like "You won't play much here; you should go somewhere else if you want more playing time"; essentially a politically correct way of saying "I don't want you here anymore but I don't want to make it seem like I forced you out. Like you said, you've never heard of those guys, so that's why it doesn't get much media attention, but UConn has an insane number of players leaving. Also 2 other guys I forgot, Rob Garrison and Scotty Haralson

OK so why are Syracuse fans freaking out?

We have MAYBE two guys who leave in poor standing. UCONN literally has an army of guys who JC forced out because they didn't fill his needs and represented an inconvenience to him to keep around (douchebag). ITs no wonder that UCONN is the only school who seems to be legitimately faced with a postseason ban.

Concgrats to the NCAA for finding a way to give duke more opportunity with big stiffs that the NBA won't draft.

Just what everyone wants to hear about guys going to the final four who won't make the NBA.

We have MAYBE two guys who leave in poor standing. UCONN literally has an army of guys who JC forced out because they didn't fill his needs and represented an inconvenience to him to keep around (douchebag). ITs no wonder that UCONN is the only school who seems to be legitimately faced with a postseason ban.

Not me, I trust the majority of the players on our team to be holding their end of the bargain in the class room

Its other ppl who think Just because of the Fab situation they put a guy like Dion in that as well

Wait, did you just take something jdubs30 said as reality? I mean, good lord.

First, Calhoun doesn't do much different from any other coach. He gives the kids a pretty honest assessment of where they stand. If they don't like it, they transfer. If they want to try and work it out they stay (Craig Austrie/Donnell Beverly being examples). If they want to be a bum and stay on scholarship, they stay on scholarship (Mandeldove, who not only was on scholarship for at least 4 of the 5 years he was on campus, but was kicked off the team to focus on studies but remained on scholarship while posting grades that screwed the APR and not graduating, very nice guy though = seriously).

Second, JDubs you are just listing every kid that left UConn early in the past few years. The majority of those kids would have been on progress had they not transferred. There is a higher standard (GPA speaking) to stay eligible at any school than to be eligible for the waiver point when transferring. Jamal Trice was in good standing academically but went to a Junior College which isn't allowed in the waiver. Ben Eaves was in good standing as was Scotty Haralson I am 99% sure on Scotty at least. Jonathan Mandledove never transferred (as mentioned). I don't know the grades for the other kids but not all of them were bad academically.

Third, to the OP. I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment. I am more of the opinion that the NCAA should have given teams more time to adjust to the new criteria rather than it being a double-penalty. A tournament ban was always part of the APR but was for being under for multiple years. The adjustment to a one year, with almost zero lag time is my issue.

Wait, did you just take something jdubs30 said as reality? I mean, good lord.

I'm not here enough to know what everyone's online streetcred level is.

Didn't Calhoun steal some point guard from St Johns a few years back.
I think he wasn't as good as advertised and got the boot too. Can't imagine he was in good standing when he left.
I think one year he had a class of 8 players- there is just know way it's going to work out for everyone with a class that size.
Eventually the way he runs his program was going to come back to bite him.
He's a great coach who has had tremendous success but the word "unsavory" has been tossed around by those in the know for well over 25 years. This goes back much further than these past few years.

Wiggins' issues were not basketball related. Kid was unfortunately a kid who got into a lot of trouble. Pot and alcohol were the main issues. He was booted from UConn for the former and then booted from UMass for the later.

The kid was about 7, 3, 3 in 19 minutes on relatively decent percentages of 41%, 36%, 95%.

EDIT: Calhoun "stole" Wiggins as much as DePaul "stole" Melvin last year and SJU "stole" Harkless this past year. Harkless is actually a very similar case. Wiggins verballed to SJU early, but was from Hartford and dreamed of going to UConn. Harkless verballed to UConn early but was from NYC area and wanted to stay closer to home.

None of them were signed recruits and none had contact initiated by the school they signed with, they just reneged on their verbals. It happens a ton.

Wiggins' issues were not basketball related. Kid was unfortunately a kid who got into a lot of trouble. Pot and alcohol were the main issues. He was booted from UConn for the former and then booted from UMass for the later.

The kid was about 7, 3, 3 in 19 minutes on relatively decent percentages of 41%, 36%, 95%.

EDIT: Calhoun "stole" Wiggins as much as DePaul "stole" Melvin last year and SJU "stole" Harkless this past year. Harkless is actually a very similar case. Wiggins verballed to SJU early, but was from Hartford and dreamed of going to UConn. Harkless verballed to UConn early but was from NYC area and wanted to stay closer to home.

None of them were signed recruits and none had contact initiated by the school they signed with, they just reneged on their verbals. It happens a ton.
Wiggins was #1 for UConn, then f*cked up, period.

You guys can question who I talk to or whatever; I don't have a source with Syracuse, but I know people at UConn, everything I said here tonight was accurate, no doubt. All the aforementioned players have serious issues at UConn and are not academically legit.

The APR issue is 100% because of people like Wiggins, Trice, Smith, etc. AO is obviously leaving, but he's not going to Duke or UNC.

EDIT: The UConn "stole" Harkless from St. John's is hilarious. He was in their backpocket; they freaked about possible violations (and Roscoe Smith, someone with less baggage came along) and pulled their offer, then he committed to St.John's. The reason he was never in Storrs was 100% on UConn.

I personally know Craig Austrie and beat him for a state title, he was obviously clean.

I personally know Craig Austrie and beat him for a state title, he was obviously clean.

Austrie's from my hometown, his coach is my neighbor back in Stamford. Where'd you play jdubs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom