Question for those in the know | Syracusefan.com

Question for those in the know

kcsu

Living Legend
I touched on this in my post about Dino that the admin really likes him and i believe will extend him if he goes bowling next year.

My opinion is that Dino will move to another job, a lateral move not an upward move if offered. My primary concern with him is that he is not invested in the community, is a west coast guy at heart and probably wants to move west if possible. I don't blame him for this I just don't know if he is the person to invest in long term after his contract is up.

So, for those in the know and those like me who are purely speculating, what do you think. Will Dino accept an extension to stay at Syracuse if he has a comparable offer from another school. Not a better offer, rather a comparable one.

Where are Dino’s daughters living? I think that will be a big contributing factor to any future decision for him. I know one is in NC working for Greg Olsen at Youth Inc.

I touched on this in my post about Dino that the admin really likes him and i believe will extend him if he goes bowling next year.

My opinion is that Dino will move to another job, a lateral move not an upward move if offered. My primary concern with him is that he is not invested in the community, is a west coast guy at heart and probably wants to move west if possible. I don't blame him for this I just don't know if he is the person to invest in long term after his contract is up.

So, for those in the know and those like me who are purely speculating, what do you think. Will Dino accept an extension to stay at Syracuse if he has a comparable offer from another school. Not a better offer, rather a comparable one.
What makes you think he is not invested in the community?

Since Dino's already a Head Coach at a P5 school, what's a comparable / better offer?

If he was offered the HC job at UCLA, is that comparable or better?

If he was offered a coordinator position in the NFL, is that comparable or better?

When you're a P5 head coach the only "comparable offer" is other P5 head coach positions, and based on Dino's age and performance he's not gonna be offered one of those. If he wants to move west it would have to be for a G5 or assistant P5 position. The only way he doesn't accept an extension is if he wants to retire or he's fine with losing out on a few more millions to be closer to home.

Where are Dino’s daughters living? I think that will be a big contributing factor to any future decision for him. I know one is in NC working for Greg Olsen at Youth Inc.
very good point. I think his kids took advantage of the free education afforded to them by Syracuse but i dont know if any of them stayed in the area.

What makes you think he is not invested in the community?
I don't see him involved into many things and I don't think i have ever heard of his wife attending any events. For instance, does he attend Jim and Julies event? Has he joined a club? Not sure what charitable activities he is involved in locally. Do you have any information on his community involvement?

Since Dino's already a Head Coach at a P5 school, what's a comparable / better offer?

If he was offered the HC job at UCLA, is that comparable or better?

If he was offered a coordinator position in the NFL, is that comparable or better?
Well, if i was him and wanted to move west i would say the UCLA would be his choice hands down. I'm talking about a job in the ACC or possibly a job at a school like Cal.

Reference investment in the community. Note this FWIW anecdote:
About a year ago Dino took the time to speak at my friend’s Italian-American Club. He spent a lot of time there and was in no hurry to leave. Afterwards he sat with the guys and socialized a bit. He didn’t have to take this non-compensated evening out of his life in the middle of winter when he could be home watching one of his favorite movies. He volunteered for this grass roots gig. He’s a good Joe, a good egg and a good Dino.

I think you have misread things here,

When Dino had that great season in 2018, he had opportunities to leave Syracuse. He chose to take the extension that was offered and stay.

If he didn’t feel ‘invested in the community’, that would have been the time to leave.

He will be 5 years older in 2023, 62 or 63. Close to the end of his career.

He knows how long it takes to build a program. He, unlike a lot of football head coaches, wants to do things the right way. He isn’t going to take a scholarship away because a player gets hurt, he is going to be honest with his players and where they stand, etc.

Many, I think most schools out there today want to win so badly, they are happy to overlook shortcuts from their football coaching staff, actions that might be morally wrong but help the bottom line.

I think Dino’s values and the values of this university are closely aligned. I know people in power at SU value how he handles himself and the program and want this to continue.

I think Dino is painfully aware of how long he had to serve as an assistant coach before he was even given a chance to be a coordinator, and how many years he had to work before he finally got a chance to be a HC, and how long he had to go to get that job. He remembers the schools that had faith in him and were willing to give him a chance. And I think he realizes the school has been unusually patient and supportive to him during his time at Syracuse.

For all of these reasons, I do not see Dino leaving Syracuse on his own volition, at least not unless he reaches the end of the road and opts to retire. I think, regardless of where his children end up, he is staying here until he gets fired or he retires.

Just my opinion. I guess we will see in 4 or 5 years if this is true or not.

When Dino had that great season in 2018, he had opportunities to leave Syracuse. He chose to take the extension that was offered and stay.

If he didn’t feel ‘invested in the community’, that would have been the time to leave.

He knows how long it takes to build a program. He, unlike a lot of football head coaches, wants to do things the right way. He isn’t going to take a scholarship away because a player gets hurt, he is going to be honest with his players and where they stand, etc.

Many, I think most schools out there today want to win so badly, they are happy to overlook shortcuts from their football coaching staff, actions that might be morally wrong but help the bottom line.

I think Dino’s values and the values of this university are closely aligned. I know people in power at SU value how he handles himself and the program and want this to continue.

I think Dino is painfully aware of how long he had to serve as an assistant coach before he was even given a chance to be a coordinator, and how many years he had to work before he finally got a chance to be a HC, and how long he had to go to get that job. He remembers the schools that had faith in him and were willing to give him a chance. And I think he realizes the school has been unusually patient and supportive to him during his time at Syracuse.

For all of these reasons, I do not see Dino leaving Syracuse on his own volition, at least not unless he reaches the end of the road and opts to retire. I think, regardless of where his children end up, he is staying here until he gets fired or he retires.

Thanks Tom as i posted in my other thread my friend who is very connected as a donor to the program also says that he is held in very high regard.

A great retirement plan for Dino would be to do a studio TV gig. He’s in the right place to do that if he retires in a few years.

Loyalty goes both ways and I do believe Dino gets that. He wouldn’t have had this leash elsewhere.
Yes. I think Syracuse and Dino both have old school values, including loyalty. It is a good match. It isn’t a coincidence the basketball coach has been in place for close to 50 years either…

Yes. I think Syracuse and Dino both have old school values, including loyalty. It is a good match. It isn’t a coincidence the basketball coach has been in place for close to 50 years either…
Im all for it. It’s frankly the only way we can differentiate a northern university in central New York.

I like you as a poster, but don't get your obsession with this.

I don't see him involved into many things and I don't think i have ever heard of his wife attending any events. For instance, does he attend Jim and Julies event? Has he joined a club? Not sure what charitable activities he is involved in locally. Do you have any information on his community involvement?
To be clear you don't know though and instead of taking a position that they could be, you choose to pursue a more negative position they aren't. That is not surprising though as you have often raised questionable positions on Babers that had undertones of negativity and worse bordered close to derogatory such as the time you kept commenting he was not intelligent enough or capable to do certain things as HC. KCSU you routinely slant certain ways on the topic of Dino. A person starts to really wonder when it happens repeatedly. It's a bad look.

To be clear you don't know though and instead of taking a position that they could be, you choose to pursue a more negative position they aren't. That is not surprising though as you have often raised questionable positions on Babers that had undertones of negativity and worse bordered close to derogatory such as the time you kept commenting he was not intelligent enough or capable to do certain things as HC. KCSU you routinely slant certain ways on the topic of Dino. A person starts to really wonder when it happens repeatedly. It's a bad look.
if you want to see something consistently critical or negative you need to see my portfolio on JAB. This is tame and reasonably balanced in comparison.

if you want to see something consistently critical or negative you need to see my portfolio on JAB. This is tame and reasonably balanced in comparison.
From my comment I am speaking to his larger body of commentary as much as his comments in this thread. Nor am I the first person on this board to call him out on this. Heck I am not the first person in this thread. (Shrugs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom