Question from a non-baseball fan | Syracusefan.com

Question from a non-baseball fan

Eric15

Living Legend
Was last night the greatest game in modern baseball history?

People will say it was because of recency bias, but the Twins 1-0 victory over the braves in extra innings, game 7, may have been more epic.

Most exciting? Maybe.

Was pretty sloppily played with errors, bad baserunning, and dumb plays.

2011 Game 6 Rangers-Cardinals was pretty crazy. Cardinals down 3 games to 2, down 7-4, get a run in the 8th, 2 in the 9th to tie, then give up 2 runs in the top of the ten, but rally to tie the game in the bottom of the inning and David Freese hits a walk off homer in the bottom of the tenth.

Game 7 of the 01 WS. Game 7 of the 03 ALCS.

It's impossible to rank these games, last night was one of the most epic you'll ever see.

Eh, if horrible managing is ignored. . . . Sure.

People will say it was because of recency bias, but the Twins 1-0 victory over the braves in extra innings, game 7, may have been more epic.

That is probably my favorite game 7 of all time, last night was the craziest for sure. The Yankees/Dbacks game 7 was pretty good also, Clemens vs Schilling, the best closer of all time giving the lead up.

That is probably my favorite game 7 of all time, last night was the craziest for sure. The Yankees/Dbacks game 7 was pretty good also, Clemens vs Schilling, the best closer of all time giving the lead up.

Randy Johnson coming in out of the bullpen after pitching the day before. Hell of a game

Can we also talk about how bad the ump behind the plate was at calling balls and strikes? He was miserable. Would have been a very different game if there was someone competent there.

Most exciting? Maybe.

Was pretty sloppily played with errors, bad baserunning, and dumb plays.

All of that and more. This game turned in many different directions. Plus I am not sure any other game 7 was impacted as much due to events from the six prior games.

I thought it was brutal the entire series.

It's kind of interesting that they rarely show the pitch tracker or whatever they call it. Clearly they didn't want to show how bad the umps were. First game I think the strike zone was 6 inches off the plate either side plus top and bottom. Last night the guy wasn't giving anything on the edges.

What I dislike most of all is when a pitcher misses his target when the catcher sets up off the plate, and catches a whole ton of plate anyway, and the ump calls it a ball because he sees the catcher reach for the ball. Yes, he missed his spot, but it's still a damned strike! Saw that a couple times last night.

It's kind of interesting that they rarely show the pitch tracker or whatever they call it. Clearly they didn't want to show how bad the umps were. First game I think the strike zone was 6 inches off the plate either side plus top and bottom. Last night the guy wasn't giving anything on the edges.

What I dislike most of all is when a pitcher misses his target when the catcher sets up off the plate, and catches a whole ton of plate anyway, and the ump calls it a ball because he sees the catcher reach for the ball. Yes, he missed his spot, but it's still a damned strike! Saw that a couple times last night.

Or the alternative where they hit the spot but it was a few inches off the plate but it's called a strike

Remember, if any part of the ball crosses any part of the front of the plate, including the black edge, its a strike.
That said, short of the power of the umpires' union and tradition, why an automated ball/strike system is not in place is beyond me.

Remember, if any part of the ball crosses any part of the front of the plate, including the black edge, its a strike.
That said, short of the power of the umpires' union and tradition, why an automated ball/strike system is not in place is beyond me.
I agree with you, but need to know if the zone is knees to armpits and if it can change pitch to pitch depending on the batter's stance. Rickey Henderson would have had a field day with a system like this.

Game 6, 2011 St Louis over Texas 10-9 was the best game ever, I thought, but different strokes ...

before my time but I've heard votes for the 1975 game 6 Reds vs. Red Sox Carlton Fisk game

1995 Mariners-Yankees when Randy Johnson came out of the pen, and Griffey scored the winning run on Edgar Martinez's hit was an incredibly exciting game.

I thought Dodgers-Nationals game 5 this year was an awesome game too, with Jansen going 2 1/3 and Kershaw coming in on one days rest to get the last two outs.

1995 Mariners-Yankees when Randy Johnson came out of the pen, and Griffey scored the winning run on Edgar Martinez's hit was an incredibly exciting game.

I thought Dodgers-Nationals game 5 this year was an awesome game too, with Jansen going 2 1/3 and Kershaw coming in on one days rest to get the last two outs.
If not for that game, they might have been the Tampa Bay Mariners.

I feel like I've seen better played Little League games, but the drama was undeniable. And it came at a great time for the game, with football slowly sinking in the ratings.

Mets v. Red Sox, game 6 with Bill Buckner's error was the most exciting game I've seen. 2001 game 7 was the most heartbreaking, because after 9/11, the Yankees were SUPPOSED to win that series, for America.

th

chambliss.jpg

3sPaKoh7.jpg

th

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online