question of Doug as Saints OC | Syracusefan.com

question of Doug as Saints OC

kcsu

Living Legend
I know he had the co OC title but i dont think Doug ever actually called the plays for the Saints. If true it helps explain his struggles this year.

Sean Payton calls the plays for the Saints. Doug never called them

I don't think that has much to do with anything, the problem is the scheme, not the play calling... I think people over do the play calling as well as Doug not calling them in new o. I am sure he was highly involved

people really need to rewatch a game and just see how many plays were bad calls against what the D was running and how many were just bad plays by the players..

I know he had the co OC title but i dont think Doug ever actually called the plays for the Saints. If true it helps explain his struggles this year.

He doesn't call plays for the Syracuse Orangemen either.

So, our problem is playcalling?

what you say might be true, if Hackett wasn't the one calling the plays.

It's pretty tough to fault the play-calling when the QB mis-threw several deep balls that could have/should have been TDs.

What does that have to do with anything at this point?

It doesn't explain squat.

So, our problem is playcalling?

No it's scheme, what's the scheme, who knows. No wait, it's the recruiting. Scratch that it's the QB missing the wide open WR's that can't get open. On second thought it's the runty favor to the old coach center, Right Tackle, Left Guard tailbacks fault.

No it's scheme, what's the scheme, who knows. No wait, it's the recruiting. Scratch that it's the QB missing the wide open WR's that can't get open. On second thought it's the runty favor to the old coach center, Right Tackle, Left Guard tailbacks fault.

That's doesn't really help your argument that all is OK and going to plan.

Though I agree that whatever Marrone did in N'awlins is irrelevant at this point.

That's doesn't really help your argument that all is OK and going to plan.

Though I agree that whatever Marrone did in N'awlins is irrelevant at this point.

Point out one time I've argued "that all is Ok"?

That's fair. Then why do you get so friggin' crazy when people discuss why the O isn't doing well? I honestly don't get it.

That's fair. Then why do you get so friggin' crazy when people discuss why the O isn't doing well? I honestly don't get it.
In fairness to Go, he has reeled it in a bit from last season.

Unless you are Alabama no program is all okay.

But the Orange is making progress - talent has been upgraded - the team is winning games against decent competition and is hopefully going bowling for a second straight year with a win at UConn.

The program has come a long way and has a long way to go.

I was very disappointed with the results at Louisville, but I am mindful that it's not easy to upgrade the talent on an 85 man roster all at once.

It's certainly not the playcalling and it rarely is in any circumstance.

Orange PA im not sure i agree with you on this. Sure Ryan was horrible at LV . Having said that you have to admit the play calling has left a little to be desired this year. Other than WV and USC i dont think we have done a very good job at all. W

It's all about degree and expectation, and (once again) where they started from, and what's missing.

The first two years they struggled just getting first downs and scoring points, and it was still an across the board improvement from the prior years. This year the offense has been better still.

Here are some measures of improvement in basic competence:

Year 3rd Down Rank Pts PG Rank Pass Rank
2011 43% 49 27 64 139.04 48
2010 38% 74 22 93 123.94 78
2009 32% 110 21 99 129.18 56
2008 28% 115 18 108 94.95 113

Fixation on yards to the exclusion of everything else misses the point, the offense is better, in a lot of ways much better. And there is a lot of improvement needed still.

Doesn't mean that this is a finished product or all you are ever going to see is ridiculous.

Orange PA im not sure i agree with you on this. Sure Ryan was horrible at LV . Having said that you have to admit the play calling has left a little to be desired this year. Other than WV and USC i dont think we have done a very good job at all. W

Do you have any analysis to go along with your thought? I'll say this one more time about playcalling- all you know about playcalling is whether or not it worked.

You love making declarations with no examples to back them up. We're still waiting.

Nirv, have you ever played a sport any sport in your life? Not that i need to justify anything to you but for the record i was recruited to play two sports in college, football and basketball. I went to school on a full bball ride . Back in the day i was known as a shooting guard. Today a 2. In HS i played QB and CB. As to our play calling this year there are so many examples i could give you but i will just throw a few out to satisfy your request. Some of our calls in the Redzone have been very questionable. The pass to Foster would be my best example. Using Smith on a critical fourth down run would be another. Not going for two in the LV game. I could provide you many examples of individual calls that are questionable at best. Individual calls however are not our biggest issue. My main concern is what seems to be a lack of feel for the play calling. Great OC's have the ability to create a rythm for the O. We saw this in the WV game. Doug and or Hack just dont seem to have a true feel for the flow of a game. Too often we are in a flow and than we call a " What" was that play. I would put the Foster slant in that catagory. The other issue i have with our play calling is an inability to make in game changes quickly. Wake is a very good example of that. Granted first game so the guys get a pass but it seems to me that when we need to make adjustments we are at best very slow to respond. Shafer on the other hand is excellant at this. Now a question for you. What is your opinion of our play calling this year? I would like to understand why you are so comfoirtable with it.

I have yet to find a team (at any level) whose fans are happy with the play-calling from week to week.

I'm just saying...:noidea:

Nirv, have you ever played a sport any sport in your life? Not that i need to justify anything to you but for the record i was recruited to play two sports in college, football and basketball. I went to school on a full bball ride . Back in the day i was known as a shooting guard. Today a 2. In HS i played QB and CB. As to our play calling this year there are so many examples i could give you but i will just throw a few out to satisfy your request. Some of our calls in the Redzone have been very questionable. The pass to Foster would be my best example. Using Smith on a critical fourth down run would be another. Not going for two in the LV game. I could provide you many examples of individual calls that are questionable at best. Individual calls however are not our biggest issue. My main concern is what seems to be a lack of feel for the play calling. Great OC's have the ability to create a rythm for the O. We saw this in the WV game. Doug and or Hack just dont seem to have a true feel for the flow of a game. Too often we are in a flow and than we call a " What" was that play. I would put the Foster slant in that catagory. The other issue i have with our play calling is an inability to make in game changes quickly. Wake is a very good example of that. Granted first game so the guys get a pass but it seems to me that when we need to make adjustments we are at best very slow to respond. Shafer on the other hand is excellant at this. Now a question for you. What is your opinion of our play calling this year? I would like to understand why you are so comfoirtable with it.

Of course I've played sports. But what does that have to do with this thread? If anything your athletic accomplishments should result in adding more to the forum than "Marrone is a dolt." You didn't even realize that Marrone doesn't call plays. Thanks for expanding, though.

I was livid after the Rutgers game, but again, Hackett is the play-caller, not Marrone. Other than that, it's been okay. Not great, but not terrible either. The players ultimately have to execute.

As for Marrone, he's getting better at gameday decisions. Progress is really all you can ask for. His first year he was not good at all. This is year three, and again other than the Rutgers game I don't see how one can refer to him as "not the brightest bulb." What exactly has he done to warrant fans implying that he's dumb? Because he didn't go for two with 3 minutes left of a 27-9 game? Oh no!

As for offensive flow, you didn't see a flow in the WVU blowout?

Re: 'inability to make in game changes quickly' - How quickly do you expect a college coach to make changes so that amateur athletes understand the changes being made? Before halftime? After the first or second series? SU won the Wake game because of the adjustments Marrone made, so I can't believe you would use that as an example, but ok.

I think it was a good plan to test Louisville deep. Nassib just didn't get the ball to open receivers.

Although we were outplayed in that game, it's interesting that if the refs call the push-off on the first score. Doug doesn't call that timeout, (and he couldn't have know what would happen, so it's not his fault), and Nassib hit West in the end zone, we win and aren't even talking about the play-calling.

As for Marrone, he's getting better at gameday decisions. Progress is really all you can ask for. His first year he was not good at all. This is year three, and again other than the Rutgers game I don't see how one can refer to him as "not the brightest bulb." What exactly has he done to warrant fans implying that he's dumb? Because he didn't go for two with 3 minutes left of a 27-9 game? Oh no!

His time management to end just about every half this year has been awful. Not Toledo HC bad, but not far from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom