Question regarding NYC transit on gamedays | Syracusefan.com

Question regarding NYC transit on gamedays

Eric15

Living Legend
My friends and I were planning on staying at a hotel in Midtown the weekend of the SU/Penn State game. Is it a pretty straightforward 15-20 minute train ride from Penn Station to MetLife Stadium?

Can someone please advise - thanks in advance.

There was no train last year- Only buses out of Port Authority. Hopefully, they'll realize how awful of an idea that was and have a train this time around.

If there is a train, it will be out of Penn Station. That's 34th St, about 8 blocks (1 train stop) below Times Square.

If there is not a train, there's a bus connection out of Port Authority on 42nd and 8th, which is just west of Time Square.

There was no train last year- Only buses out of Port Authority. Hopefully, they'll realize how awful of an idea that was and have a train this time around.

If there is a train, it will be out of Penn Station. That's 34th St, about 8 blocks (1 train stop) below Times Square.

If there is not a train, there's a bus connection out of Port Authority on 42nd and 8th, which is just west of Time Square.

Sorry, I meant to say "Penn Station", not "Times Square." Thank you for the info.

Thanks for the update...I thought they ran trains last year. Hopefully they will this year. I fully expect attendance to be north of 60k. BTW, our section of tickets is getting kinda close to sellout. If you have been delaying...time to buy is now. You can get somewhere around Rows 6-8 in 241 and rows 3 or 4 in 340. A single tix might get a slightly better row.

Where is there a train stop at Giants Stadium?
On the east side of the stadium. NJ transit I believe but I defer to those who call it home on Sundays in the Fall.

My brother and I took the train the next day to the Bills v. Jets game last year. Penn Station to Secaucus Junction, then switch to the Meadowsland train. The stop was right outside the stadium on the east side facing Rte 120.

Not sure if they run the train for non-Jets/Giants games.

On the east side of the stadium. NJ transit I believe but I defer to those who call it home on Sundays in the Fall.

NJ Transit Rail Service
The new rail system connects the northeast corridor to the Frank R. Lautenberg train station in Secaucus, N.J., which allows fans from the region to quickly and efficiently reach MetLife Stadium. The rail station at the Sports Complex is located next to MetLife Stadium and the travel time between the Secaucus Junction train station and the Sports Complex station is approximately 10 minutes. The round-trip fare from Secaucus to the Sports Complex is $4.50. Rail service commences three (3) hours prior to kickoff and ends two (2) hours after the game. For more information, please visit NJTransit.com.

http://www.metlifestadium.com/directions.php

Traveling to MetLife Stadium: Rail service to MetLife Stadium operates for all Giants and Jets games, as well as selected major events. Please note that some stadium events are served by shuttle buses from Secaucus Junction. Check schedule for details.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=MeadowlandsTo

Looks like the rail only runs for Giants and JV games only.

So coming from Dixie, switch trains in Newark to Seacacus, then train (or shuttle bus) to Giants Stadium?

NJ Transit Rail Service
The new rail system connects the northeast corridor to the Frank R. Lautenberg train station in Secaucus, N.J., which allows fans from the region to quickly and efficiently reach MetLife Stadium. The rail station at the Sports Complex is located next to MetLife Stadium and the travel time between the Secaucus Junction train station and the Sports Complex station is approximately 10 minutes. The round-trip fare from Secaucus to the Sports Complex is $4.50. Rail service commences three (3) hours prior to kickoff and ends two (2) hours after the game. For more information, please visit NJTransit.com.

http://www.metlifestadium.com/directions.php

Traveling to MetLife Stadium: Rail service to MetLife Stadium operates for all Giants and Jets games, as well as selected major events. Please note that some stadium events are served by shuttle buses from Secaucus Junction. Check schedule for details.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=MeadowlandsTo

Looks like the rail only runs for Giants and JV games only.

This is after a 10 minute train ride through the Lincoln Tunnel - Secaucus is the first stop. Just make sure you take a train that stops at Secaucus, because they don't all stop there.

So coming from Dixie, switch trains in Newark to Seacacus, then train (or shuttle bus) to Giants Stadium?
you cant get there from here...

with no train to Giants Stadium, you will have to train to NY Penn, then either walk, cab or subway and walk to the Port Authority to get on the bus. which i dont believe they start running untill 2, maybe 3, hours before kickoff. sounds like fun, yippee!!

id take a cab, but given your history on cabs to Syracuse football games, you likely end up in traffic on the way to lincoln field. :confused:

but your Uncle Kaiser is a kind man, and since not only did i win the nassib draft bet, but i crushed it on the round, i will choose as my winnings a rickshaw ride from newark to Giants Stadium...and then gladly hand it over to you and the family. ;)

with no train to Giants Stadium, you will have to train to NY Penn, then either walk, cab or subway and walk to the Port Authority to get on the bus. which i dont believe they start running untill 2, maybe 3, hours before kickoff. sounds like fun, yippee!!

id take a cab, but given your history on cabs to Syracuse football games, you likely end up in traffic on the way to lincoln field. :confused:

but your Uncle Kaiser is a kind man, and since not only did i win the nassib draft bet, but i crushed it on the round, i will choose as my winnings a rickshaw ride from newark to Giants Stadium...and then gladly hand it over to you and the family. ;)
itt

Crossing the river then cross back? No bueno dude. I can rationalize going to the home of WWOR 9 then shuttlebussing, but that's a bit much. Not a fan of driving it.

itt

Crossing the river then cross back? No bueno dude. I can rationalize going to the home of WWOR 9 then shuttlebussing, but that's a bit much. Not a fan of driving it.
agree, doesnt make sense.

i took the train for U2, so its not just for the Giants & jokes.

seriously, id take a cab. get off at newark and cab it up, probably $20, if that.

i figured if you were coming, youd be spending the weekend in Queens, i guess thats not the case......

:noidea:

agree, doesnt make sense.

i took the train for U2, so its not just for the Giants & jokes.

seriously, id take a cab. get off at newark and cab it up, probably $20, if that.

i figured if you were coming, youd be spending the weekend in Queens, i guess thats not the case......

:noidea:

Nah, that's a good weekend to be here, plus school starts, last pool weekend,etc..and I95 is evil. Got tix offered with pals in a suite, so thinking about it with the boy.

Many Amtrak trains stop in Newark Penn Station. You can switch to NJ Transit there to Secaucus, then to MetLife Stadium.

I recall seeing taxis at the Secaucus Junction stop (on the west side of the station) although it's not that much further cabbing from Newark.

Just hard-nose it and stay in Joisey.

Me: Good morning, can you please advise if there will be train service from Manhattan for the Syracuse/PSU game on 8/31 similar to NFL games?

Lady: Yes, I'm almost positive there will be.

Me: Um, I mean, I need to be 100% sure since it will affect the entire trip. Can you please let me know for sure?

<30 second pause>

Lady: No, there won't be train service that day.

What a joke, I never liked that place. No direct train but some crappy, crappy Xanadu.

Me: Good morning, can you please advise if there will be train service from Manhattan for the Syracuse/PSU game on 8/31 similar to NFL games?

Me: Um, I mean, I need to be 100% sure since it will affect the entire trip. Can you please let me know for sure?

<30 second pause>

Huge mistake by the NJ Transit...I expect 60,000 fans with many coming from Manhattan smh

Huge mistake by the NJ Transit...I expect 60,000 fans with many coming from Manhattan smh
if one is a ped st fan who knows What theyre doing, they are not on a public train or bus.

you have either found a ride in a car to get you there, or you are on a shuttle bus organized out of a bar.

its likely a very small percentage of people who use the bus/train.

if one is a ped st fan who knows What theyre doing, they are not on a public train or bus.

you have either found a ride in a car to get you there, or you are on a shuttle bus organized out of a bar.

its likely a very small percentage of people who use the bus/train.

NY is train city, as is the region. Yet this major gathering point of people doesn't have one readily accessable. I know it's sorta Jersey but still.

I also note that the Randolph and Wood Bridge stations (on different NJ Transit rail lines) are roughly 3.5 miles each from the stadium.

<30 second pause>

Follow this link. The NJTransit website allows you to buy round trip tickets on-line for this event.

https://tickets.njtransit.com/ot/ot_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=OTRegTo