Question regarding The Dark Knight Rises | Syracusefan.com

Question regarding The Dark Knight Rises

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
I finally saw this film last night. I have a question for people with more knowledge of the natural sciences than me. Wouldn't an atomic explosion miles out in the ocean still have devastating consequences to the people of Gotham and the world in general? Did I miss a piece of dialogue where they explained there would be no radiation emitted from an explosion?

There are a number of major plot issues with that movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he was 20 miles out, there would likely be a tidal wave of some degree, but the radiation would blow off to the east. I am not sure if an EMP would affect NYC from that distance.

With that said, I doubt he was traveling fast nough to get that far out.

The magic of movies.

Oops, I spelled "Knight" wrong. I would love to edit the thread title, but I can't. Mods, can you help?

I finally saw this film last night. I have a question for people with more knowledge of the natural sciences than me. Wouldn't an atomic explosion miles out in the ocean still have devastating consequences to the people of Gotham and the world in general? Did I miss a piece of dialogue where they explained there would be no radiation emitted from an explosion?

If he was 20 miles out, there would likely be a tidal wave of some degree, but the radiation would blow off to the east. I am not sure if an EMP would affect NYC from that distance.
Might it also impact the food supply with radioactive fish and other ocean life?

Um, no.

Just think about how many nukes had been detonated in tests conducted by the US/USSR during the cold war all while people were completely unaware; thousands of nukes have been detonated (2053 between the years 1945 and 1998).

This video kind of makes all those 24 seasons about the fear of "detonating a nuke on US soil" so ironic considering just how many our government already has.

With that said, I doubt he was traveling fast nough to get that far out.

The magic of movies.

Considering the experts believe a nuclear detonation at the right altitude over Kansas could fry the nation's entire power grid you would have to expect a mere 20 miles out to sea would at a very minimum fry most of the northern eastern seaboard.