Questions on my mind | Syracusefan.com

Questions on my mind

DonLightfoot

All Conference
1) - If players like Griffen and Guerrier do not sign with a pro team, do we need to keep a scholarship open for them to return? If so, we could have a large roster for next season which might be beyond the scholarship maximum. I can't see any of our new players, recruits or transfers, wanting to red shirt.

2) - Same question regarding the transfer portal players?

The reason for my wondering is looking at OrangeExtreme's potential roster which has 17 players on it. Of those we know 3 (Marek, Kadary & Woody) will not be returning and 2 (Griffen & Guerrier) are testing the draft. Then you have 2 (Braswell & Bol Ajak) still in the transfer portal. According to my math, if 4 do end up returning that puts us as 14. If none of the 4 come back we are then at 10. Kind of tough on the coaches to try and manage the roster as to if they need to keep going after players.

I was just bored today I guess so thought I would throw this out there.

We’re not required to keep the scholarships for them.
Griff in particular, as he’s stated he’s signing with an agent.

It would probably be bad form not to
(Especially in Quincy’s case, since he’s said he may return).

But Bras has already been replaced 2 times over. I can’t imagine a scenario where he comes back, especially now.

Bourama’s scholarship doesn’t count against the 13 cap, so him retuning causes zero problems in that regard.

Also - Redshirting does NOT “solve” for having too many scholarship players -
RS players still count against the 13 total.

I suspect many kids will be scrambling to find spots by May. With the extra COVID year, incoming freshmen and a stuffed portal there is likely to be more supply than demand at a lot of P5 schools to fill the 9-13 slots. I believe this is why nothing has been announced with Frank. He likely has someone in his corner wisely advising him to see how this thing plays out. I think we will still have a great shot to add some quality players. Kids are going to have to take spots that promise them nothing but a chance to compete for a role.

I suspect many kids will be scrambling to find spots by May. With the extra COVID year, incoming freshmen and a stuffed portal there is likely to be more supply than demand at a lot of P5 schools to fill the 9-13 slots. I believe this is why nothing has been announced with Frank. He likely has someone in his corner wisely advising him to see how this thing plays out. I think we will still have a great shot to add some quality players. Kids are going to have to take spots that promise them nothing but a chance to compete for a role.
I would absolutely love to grab someone in the 2021 class that’s willing to sit a year. The way JB plays his rotations it’s hard to imagine us taking anyone else and entering them into the rotation (except Q)

1) - If players like Griffen and Guerrier do not sign with a pro team, do we need to keep a scholarship open for them to return? If so, we could have a large roster for next season which might be beyond the scholarship maximum. I can't see any of our new players, recruits or transfers, wanting to red shirt.

2) - Same question regarding the transfer portal players?

The reason for my wondering is looking at OrangeExtreme's potential roster which has 17 players on it. Of those we know 3 (Marek, Kadary & Woody) will not be returning and 2 (Griffen & Guerrier) are testing the draft. Then you have 2 (Braswell & Bol Ajak) still in the transfer portal. According to my math, if 4 do end up returning that puts us as 14. If none of the 4 come back we are then at 10. Kind of tough on the coaches to try and manage the roster as to if they need to keep going after players.

I was just bored today I guess so thought I would throw this out there.
My understanding is that once a player enters the transfer portal, his previous school is NOT obliged to except him back. This is reasonable as since he left, schools may feel the need to replace him asap. If he wishes to return, what ever circumstances that lead them to leave would most certainly need to be addressed. ie: if they weren't happy with playing time before, things probably won't be better especially if the school accepted another player already. Looking to go pro and then returning really has to do with if they were replaced. Many feel Cole S & Jimmy B are meant to replace Q, or so he might think. So, bottom line, don't expect any of them to return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom