Quick observations | Syracusefan.com

Quick observations

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
That was certainly fast. If you're not excited about the possibilities this offense presents, then your eyes aren't open.

X's & O's aside, I sense a little tension on the board in regards to what they anticipated and what they saw. Couple things to keep in mind:

1) You only saw a piece of this offense, if you think more was on display than a lot of base packages then I'd almost assuredly disagree.

2) Things take time to gel. Lineplay and decision making undoubtedly will improve. The Inside Zone run game could be put on some missed assignments from the OL, RB & QB.

3) You use whatever section of the field the defense gives you. Defense dictates where this offense goes.

This is how I felt after watching the game on our long bus ride home last night...

image.gif

The fact our coach was visibly annoyed with our offense putting up 500+ yards and we have a backup QB losing his mind because he couldn't run one more play in a blowout tells me all I need to know right now.

I'm pumped for the direction we're heading.

The fact our coach was visibly annoyed with our offense putting up 500+ yards and we have a backup QB losing his mind because he couldn't run one more play in a blowout tells me all I need to know right now.

I'm pumped for the direction we're heading.
LOL, I noticed that also, Zach was pissed.

Btw, little Sean Riley is going to be fun to watch. Quickest kid I've seen in Orange in a long time.

Nice OP... and some much needed perspective.

I think a lot of posters [self included] have pointed to a lot of different things that made them dissatisfied with our offensive performance yesterday. Then you step back and realize that Dungey completed 85% of his passes, and we amassed 550 yards despite taking our foot off the gas at the end, and you realize that we did that in a vanilla game that was our first outing under a new system.

Yes, it was an FCS team, but what will this offense be capable of when things start to click? We couldn't have made a better hire, IMO.

How much of the poor oline play is due to the pace? I feel like the one barely got a chance to set before the ball was snapped. It must make it tough to get push on run blocks when you are still recovering from the last play. I get that they are conditioned but game conditions are probably tougher than practice conditions.

I think a lot of posters [self included] have pointed to a lot of different things that made them dissatisfied with our offensive performance yesterday. Then you step back and realize that Dungey completed 85% of his passes, and we amassed 550 yards despite taking our foot off the gas at the end, and you realize that we did that in a vanilla game that was our first outing under a new system.

Yes, it was an FCS team, but what will this offense be capable of when things start to click? We couldn't have made a better hire, IMO.

Agree 100%. pure vanilla after we got up a bit, I think we have a shot next week. Hopefully we can get another 10k fans in there. The defense isn't going to be great and I think the offense will just keep evolving but if people think Babers is going to get caught up running when it's not there or vice versa it's just not in his DNA..

I bet we see a couple games with big running numbers and a couple with very little..

How much of the poor oline play is due to the pace? I feel like the one barely got a chance to set before the ball was snapped. It must make it tough to get push on run blocks when you are still recovering from the last play. I get that they are conditioned but game conditions are probably tougher than practice conditions.

It's not or should not be...

Don't most uptempo teams have larger splits on the line? It seemed like we had a pretty traditional setup on the o-line last night.

I liked what i saw,out side the no push on both side of the line . Hell it very well could be a GEL thing.

they did great for a team running a new offense, one without a playbook at that...:cool:

going for it on 4th on our 30 or whatever, while that wont be an everygame thing...I take that as a shot across the bow to teams. just a little something to think about.

I was surprised to see Dungey under center as much as he was.

Much more to Babers' offense than I realized

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Zach looked very good throwing the ball. That seam route throw to Riley was perfect.

Best throw of the night

longislandcuse said:
The fact our coach was visibly annoyed with our offense putting up 500+ yards and we have a backup QB losing his mind because he couldn't run one more play in a blowout tells me all I need to know right now. I'm pumped for the direction we're heading.

Mahoney's final play meltdown was nearly the highlight for me. It was soooooo anti-PasquaShafArrone.

We would have taken six knees the final two possessions with any of those guys.

Love that someday we're going to have to defend throwing a bomb up 54-3. Zach wanted to run the offense...competitive kid. Staff had no issues with it.

Mahoney's final play meltdown was nearly the highlight for me. It was soooooo anti-PasquaShafArrone.

Love that someday we're going to have to defend throwing a bomb up 54-3. Zach wanted to run the offense...competitive kid. Staff had no issues with it.

I think some of the people who are wringing their hands over the offensive performance we saw yesterday need to stop listening to their .45 of "My PasquaShafMarrone-a" and realize that the page has turned with respect to modern collegiate football offenses.

The execution will improve. And the execution wasn't really that bad last night for a first game.

For perspective, how many times have we struggled in these kind of games against lower division opponents? Was anyone worried last night?

It is amazing how different the product looks when we have a competent staff at the helm.

that was funny, cool...and odd for me.

at that point I was lost in a haze of alcohol, soft middle age...and couldn't figure out what was happening. I tried to rewind on e3, but its either impossible or I Fd it up.

anyway, I knew I missed something, but wasn't sure just what the F it was.

'was he cheapshot-ed?' was someone else cheapshot-ed?? did he lose a bet?? what was it??

glad it was just an 'in game Bavaro'**

**requisite Giants post in a Syracuse football thread. the Giants were winning, but not in a kneel down situation...and after Simms called a play, he sees Bavaro shaking head all pissed. Simms goes, 'I couldn't figure out what was wrong, he never asks for the ball to be thrown to him and this situation didn't warrant it, so before breaking the huddle I asked him what was wrong?' Bavaro goes, 'I wanted to hit #_ 1 more time'.

the play call had him lined up on the other side of the field.

Mahoney wanted more crack at them...love it.

I was impressed with how organized/orchestrated the on-field coaching staff was. They were solid, probably because most of them have been together for awhile, but still impressed me.
Amen. Amen. Amen.

PhatOrange said:
Best throw of the night

Disagree. Dungey to Atta Tawuuuuu for the first TD was a beauty

Funny I was laughing thinking how opponents are going to hate us with us throwing the ball with less than 5 minutes to go and up more than 3 and a half touchdowns. Very anti - JB also. Babers is obviously more intent on instilling a competitive, killer instinct team identity than caring about opponents' psyche. It kept more fannies in the seats till the end too.

Hahaha... I had Cuse -24 and after the midfield fumble and excellent D stop, i was yelling (as my feed kept freezing) "kneel! kneel! kneel!"

LOL, I noticed that also, Zach was pissed.

Btw, little Sean Riley is going to be fun to watch. Quickest kid I've seen in Orange in a long time.
I feel bad for Sean Riley. Every box score in America is showing Cordell Hudson as having all his catches.

690West said:
I feel bad for Sean Riley. Every box score in America is showing Cordell Hudson as having all his catches.

AET changed his #7 on gameday. So when I would get updates from The Score, it would tell me T Green with a 43 yard TD catch.

Speaking of how fast things where going my wife kept looking up at replays and then would hear me cheer.
Her "what happened"
Me "WE ARE GOING FAST, STOP WATCHING THE DAMN REPLAYS!!!"
this happened only once, she learns quick lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors