Quick Post-SU-UL thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick Post-SU-UL thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Going to start with something/someone positive-Stefon Thompson had himself a game. Was very impressive and it was nice to see him back, as we haven't heard much from him since the 1st game
  • Thought the Run Defense was very good, especially considering how young we are there and how good Louisville has been running the ball all year. That bodes very well for the future there
  • The DB's continued to play well-Really hope we can get one more year of Melifonwu-He's a stud
  • Tucker continues to impress-Truthfully, our run blocking has been decent these last few games
  • Queeley continues to be the anti-Taj Harris. Not flashy, but steady and catches what he should catch.
That's all I can think of for positive
  • For all those ready to declare Morgan the messiah after last week, thought he took a step back. Was high on a few passes that could have gone for nice gains. I'm not discounting possible future potential, but he definitely struggled yesterday
  • Was extremely frustrated they brought in Culpepper after the Morgan injury. There is no point in him playing at this point, especially as the game was out of hand and we were already on our way to 1-8. The only positive thing we can get out of this season at this point is get as many young guys reps as possible for the future. No reason to wait to put in Dillon at the end of the game to hand off 3 times. Will be very upset if Culpepper gets the snaps next game. If we're going to be horrible on Offense, let's at least be horrible with the Freshmen who could potentially help in the future.
  • OL continues to struggle pass blocking-Looks like a combination of just getting beat (mostly Servais) and many mental errors where our guys are blocking air while defenders are coming through. What's even more frustrating is Louisville has a bad Defense, particularly on the DL. We continue to make bad defenses look good.
  • No creativity on Offense. I know our OL isn't top notch, but I don't think it's a good excuse for zero imagination on offense. On the contrary, if we had a fantastic QB and a great OL, we wouldn't need the creativity as much. Anyone can score points with a very good QB and OL, what makes a staff is maximizing the talent you have and scheme guys open (like Marrone used to do). As someone posted elsewhere, there is nothing to lose. It seems the few times this year we've had some creative calls, it's been after the game is out of hand. I see none of that. It seems like Dino is just trying to get through the season as fast as possible.
  • Disappointed in Taj-Missing that ball that led to an INT was a killer. He seemed to give up on other plays. Let's see what the other receivers can do-There's nothing to lose at this point
  • I don't know how we continue to ignore Benson game after game. He's shown a lot over the last 2 years when he gets the ball in space and might be our best matchup.
  • The penalties game after game is maddening-Pre-snap penalties, 15-yard penalties. You can put us down for a few every game.
  • I believe the transfer portal is going to make or break the program for the next couple of years. Need to bring in more competition at QB and OL at the minimum. We also need to hold onto our own players. It can be boom or bust. Will learn a lot about Dino in the offseason. He seems checked out right now.

I think when you look at Morgan you take it with a grain of salt. Friday Primetime game. First time fans are in the stands while he plays and it probably rattled him. Add in the pick due to Taj and servais letting him get splattered on the turf and it makes it a bad day.

That UL game was a clone of the 2005 Homecoming Senior Day chitshow against South Florida.

• Going to start with something/someone positive-Stefon Thompson had himself a game. Was very impressive and it was nice to see him back, as we haven't heard much from him since the 1st game
  • Thought the Run Defense was very good, especially considering how young we are there and how good Louisville has been running the ball all year. That bodes very well for the future there
  • The DB's continued to play well-Really hope we can get one more year of Melifonwu-He's a stud
  • Tucker continues to impress-Truthfully, our run blocking has been decent these last few games
  • Queeley continues to be the anti-Taj Harris. Not flashy, but steady and catches what he should catch.
That's all I can think of for positive
  • For all those ready to declare Morgan the messiah after last week, thought he took a step back. Was high on a few passes that could have gone for nice gains. I'm not discounting possible future potential, but he definitely struggled yesterday
  • Was extremely frustrated they brought in Culpepper after the Morgan injury. There is no point in him playing at this point, especially as the game was out of hand and we were already on our way to 1-8. The only positive thing we can get out of this season at this point is get as many young guys reps as possible for the future. No reason to wait to put in Dillon at the end of the game to hand off 3 times. Will be very upset if Culpepper gets the snaps next game. If we're going to be horrible on Offense, let's at least be horrible with the Freshmen who could potentially help in the future.
  • OL continues to struggle pass blocking-Looks like a combination of just getting beat (mostly Servais) and many mental errors where our guys are blocking air while defenders are coming through. What's even more frustrating is Louisville has a bad Defense, particularly on the DL. We continue to make bad defenses look good.
  • No creativity on Offense. I know our OL isn't top notch, but I don't think it's a good excuse for zero imagination on offense. On the contrary, if we had a fantastic QB and a great OL, we wouldn't need the creativity as much. Anyone can score points with a very good QB and OL, what makes a staff is maximizing the talent you have and scheme guys open (like Marrone used to do). As someone posted elsewhere, there is nothing to lose. It seems the few times this year we've had some creative calls, it's been after the game is out of hand. I see none of that. It seems like Dino is just trying to get through the season as fast as possible.
  • Disappointed in Taj-Missing that ball that led to an INT was a killer. He seemed to give up on other plays. Let's see what the other receivers can do-There's nothing to lose at this point
  • I don't know how we continue to ignore Benson game after game. He's shown a lot over the last 2 years when he gets the ball in space and might be our best matchup.
  • The penalties game after game is maddening-Pre-snap penalties, 15-yard penalties. You can put us down for a few every game.
  • I believe the transfer portal is going to make or break the program for the next couple of years. Need to bring in more competition at QB and OL at the minimum. We also need to hold onto our own players. It can be boom or bust. Will learn a lot about Dino in the offseason. He seems checked out right now.

First thing for me is getting the frosh reps at QB. Love Rex, but he needs to step aside at this point so we can see what we have and get as many snaps in for those guys as possible.

Second, I have to wonder if we were a competitive team with true depth, if Taj would still be on this team.

Third, the penalties are incredibly frustrating. That's coaching. We have never and will never have the position by position talent to be a highly penalized team and still be consistently successful.

Finally, if you only win 1 or 2 or even 3 games in a season, it should be understood that no one's position on the depth chart is safe. Needs to be a little healthy paranoia heading into next year.

My issue with Morgan is he plays with zero fire or emotion. He‘s zombie-like on the field.

I know people are down on Rex. But hypothetically, if he’s our second best option AND IF he has the opportunity to play next year, why not keep him in the mix?

Maybe Dillon is the secret we’re hiding because we don’t want a decommit.

I’ve got nothing else, but hope.

I’ll probably say this a lot, but outside of guard and RB, I have no confidence anywhere else on the offense and transfers are welcome.

I know we all like Queeley and Benson but I’m still not sure how much they can bring us out of this. Queeley seems solid, but not spectacular. And if Benson is the weapon that everyone thinks, then Gilbert should get the Rob Spence 2009 treatment at this point. Just sit over there, collect your check and don’t break anything. The adults will run the offense from here.

I know people are down on Rex. But hypothetically, if he’s our second best option AND IF he has the opportunity to play next year, why not keep him in the mix?
Are you watching? He is a TE That has a 42% completion rate. I’d rather run wildcat for a season.

Are you watching? He is a TE That has a 42% completion rate. I’d rather run wildcat for a season.
And yet he’s #2 on the depth chart.

First thing for me is getting the frosh reps at QB. Love Rex, but he needs to step aside at this point so we can see what we have and get as many snaps in for those guys as possible.
I'm so tired of this talking point. Morgan started how many games and almost ended up in the hospital? Our OL is in shambles and these young guys don't know the offense. That is a recipe for disaster. Was Greg Paulus playing for anything? Nope or wait yes he was. He was playing so that Nassib had time to grow and not get killed under C as a true frosh in a new offense. This isn't NCAA14. You want to develop a QB? Don't play him in this crapshow offense. Give him a clipboard, let him watch tape, the reps will come.

"Play the true frosh who don't know the offense that weren't our first choices! Yeah!" - SMFH

I'm so tired of this talking point. Morgan started how many games and almost ended up in the hospital? Our OL is in shambles and these young guys don't know the offense. That is a recipe for disaster. Was Greg Paulus playing for anything? Nope or wait yes he was. He was playing so that Nassib had time to grow and not get killed under C as a true frosh in a new offense. This isn't NCAA14. You want to develop a QB? Don't play him in this crapshow offense. Give him a clipboard, let him watch tape, the reps will come.

"Play the true frosh who don't know the offense that weren't our first choices! Yeah!" - SMFH
They don't get it.

At this point in the season, if the QB doesn't know enough of the offense to play, there's a problem, even with the pandemic.

At this point in the season, if the QB doesn't know enough of the offense to play, there's a problem, even with the pandemic.
You haven't been paying attention. With full seasons, springs, summer camps, etc, it takes someone about 2 1/2 years to learn the offense and make it hum, Dino's words, not mine.

There was no spring camp. There is no physical playbook. You expect these guys to just abracadabra that crap into their brains? Behind a dysfunctional OL? I think you need a stronger cup of joe.

I will also add that neither of the true frosh had meaningful reps in practice until TD got hurt. Also Dino's words, not mine.

You haven't been paying attention. With full seasons, springs, summer camps, etc, it takes someone about 2 1/2 years to learn the offense and make it hum, Dino's words, not mine.

There was no spring camp. There is no physical playbook. You expect these guys to just abracadabra that crap into their brains? Behind a dysfunctional OL? I think you need a stronger cup of joe.

I will also add that neither of the true frosh had meaningful reps in practice until TD got hurt. Also Dino's words, not mine.
If it really takes 2 1/2 years to learn the offense, that's a major problem. They're only here for 4-5 years and with the new transfer rules, many could be here for shorter.

If it really takes 2 1/2 years to learn the offense, that's a major problem. They're only here for 4-5 years and with the new transfer rules, many could be here for shorter.
Oh I agree, we have a major problem. Idk what that is, I'm not paid to know what that is, and I wasn't hired to fix it. Maybe it's the new OC, maybe it's the crappy OL coach, maybe it's the recruiting, maybe it's the adjustments, maybe it's a toxic locker room. But I def agree we have a major problem.

So play them next year when we get Alabama's OL to transfer in for us if we lose TD and lose Rex?

At what point is it safe for guys to play? Paulus wasn't transferring here UNLESS he was going to start. He wasn't doing it for charity for Nassib.

When do you think our OL will be magically better? Oh wait, I know, "next year".
Man, you know what, I am so tired of that "talking point".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom