Quick Postgame thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick Postgame thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Liked seeing Benny play with some confidence, especially the long-range shot. Hope JB gives him a little space. He was, of course, the 1st guy pulled
  • Quadir looks like he's going to be the emotional leader of the team. Lots of enthusiasm and encouraging others
  • Mintz really turned it on in the 2nd half once he hit a few shots and got some confidence. We were very lucky to get him late in the cycle
  • Was surprised how quiet Girard was until late in the game, but good to see him not forcing too much
  • Taylor looks solid
  • Think Hima played better than JB expected. Will be interesting to see who gets the backup center minutes b/w him, Carey, and Brown. Carey didn't show much, but it's only game#1
  • Nice to see the real Jesse in the 2nd half. Needs to stay out of foul trouble
  • The beginning of the year should be fascinating. Never has the rotation been so open

It didn't suck and it looked like it was going to.

- Jesse Edwards looks much bigger through the shoulders and plays with confidence.
- Joe Girard does look kinda chunky but he was surrounded by skinny freshmen.
Joe's going to do much better with Symir in there than Mintz. Symir is a pass-first guy and looks to set up passes.
- Mintz is directing his own highlight film. If he doesn't coordinate more with his teammates, things could turn sour for Judah.
- Benny Williams played with energy and increasing confidence.
- I love Copeland. he's a facilitator who sees what's going on around him and takes advantage of opportunities the other players don't know are there. I would love to see him paired with Mintz.
- I like Taylor. He's strong, can shoot, hustles and plays withing himself.
- I like Brown, who is a good defender and can operate around the basket
- I like Hima who is athletic with long arms. His jump shot is like Charles Barkley's golf swing, but it went in, for which he can be thankful.
- Chris Bunch can shoot better than Chris Bell.
- John Bol Ajak and Peter Carey sleep with the fishes.

• Liked seeing Benny play with some confidence, especially the long-range shot. Hope JB gives him a little space. He was, of course, the 1st guy pulled
  • Quadir looks like he's going to be the emotional leader of the team. Lots of enthusiasm and encouraging others
  • Mintz really turned it on in the 2nd half once he hit a few shots and got some confidence. We were very lucky to get him late in the cycle
  • Was surprised how quiet Girard was until late in the game, but good to see him not forcing too much
  • Taylor looks solid
  • Think Hima played better than JB expected. Will be interesting to see who gets the backup center minutes b/w him, Carey, and Brown. Carey didn't show much, but it's only game#1
  • The beginning of the year should be fascinating. Never has the rotation been so open
At about the 12 minute mark in the 2nd, a completely different team showed up. Mintz and Copeland are gonna be fun to watch. Not gonna lie, I was A little fearful watching that first half.

It didn't suck and it looked like it was going to.

- Jesse Edwards looks much bigger through the shoulders and plays with confidence.
- Joe Girard does look kinda chunky but he was surrounded by skinny freshmen.
Joe's going to do much better with Symir in there than Mintz. Symir is a pass-first guy and looks to set up passes.
- Mintz is directing his own highlight film. If he doesn't coordinate more with his teammates, things could turn sour for Judah.
- Benny Williams played with energy and increasing confidence.
- I love Copeland. he's a facilitator who sees what's going on around him and takes advantage of opportunities the other players don't know are there. I would love to see him paired with Mintz.
- I like Taylor. He's strong, can shoot, hustles and plays withing himself.
- I like Brown, who is a good defender and can operate around the basket
- I like Hima who is athletic with long arms. His jump shot is like Charles Barkley's golf swing, but it went in, for which he can be thankful.
- Chris Bunch can shoot better than Chris Bell.
- John Bol Ajak and Peter Carey sleep with the fishes.

Judah has to be aggressive on offense as does Benny. It took some time and wasn't always pretty but once they got going everything opened up. If Judah specifically isn't aggressive then Jesse gets doubled and Joe is stuck to like glue.

I hear you on Symir but it was when Symir got more aggressive that he made a difference last year. You can have passive lead guards. They have to push things and be willing to make mistakes trying to make plays. We don't need mistake free basketball we need aggressive offensive basketball paired with a more aggressive defense.

First half, I felt nauseated thinking it was going to be a rough year. Once Judah got right in the 2nd half, we looked really good when the rotation tightened up there for that stretch. Gonna need those stretches to become a lot longer, but man, that Judah kids the real deal no?

You guys can see the films. It appeared to me, when Mintz moved with the ball, the rest of the team went full spectator. There was no one for him to pass to. He's way better than I thought he'd be at this point.

Williams looks like a whole different player. He's got a shot. No one will cover him one on one.

Girard has been here four years and he still can't handle the ball. He's a catch and shoot who once in a while can beat his guy off the bounce.

When we went zone, IPU could have jumped on the bus.

That game cranked me up.

Also fyi.IUP last year Lost 94-79 at Illinois last year game was within 5 pts with 9 mins left to go.
Haha I was thinking at halftime that they’re better than Lehigh and would be better than Northeastern if Coen wasn’t the coach.

Good for the young guys to get hit in the mouth for the first time tonight instead of against Colgate or Northeastern.

So here was the best thing of the game tonight: Weedsport is sitting next to us this year! Woo hoooo! I introduced him to my daughter and my sports spouse, Gary, and showed him a couple of photos of my family room that my husband almost burned down last weekend. It was great knowing there is going to be a steady presence to my left this season. And good to reconnect with the little group that sits around us.

The game? Oh yes, the game. Well, it was, let’s just say it was, um, hmmmmmm. :rolleyes: I was pretty sure we were going to lose and adapted my psyche accordingly. Then we had a spark in the second half which eventually became a flame. (Then I thought of my family room and grew sad.) (No, I didn’t.) I enjoyed watching Benny the most. I had been concerned about him, but I don’t think I am any more. I believe he will be good. Jesse was too soft going to the basket in the first half but eventually began to dunk.

And now it’s time for true confessions. We had 5 players who all wore headbands and who had longish hair. From the third tier I couldn’t tell who was who. This is always a problem for me early in the season but tonight was particularly hard. I’ll get there.

I wish I could feel a little more optimistic about the season after this game but but at the moment I am practicing my loin girding. It’s a little like Pilates. :)

For years we had guards that went hard to the hole and were often victimized by undercutters and floppers.

Now that they’re FINALLY calling flops technical fouls….we’ve got a guard who throws ninja kicks and falls down on his jumpers.

• Taylor looks solid
I thought Carey showed tremendous mobility and a willingness to be involved. He exploded off of some pick and rolls. The results weren’t there but the potential is undeniable. Size footwork and effort are there so as to contribute.

Haha I was thinking at halftime that they’re better than Lehigh and would be better than Northeastern if Coen wasn’t the coach.

Good for the young guys to get hit in the mouth for the first time tonight instead of against Colgate or Northeastern.
I heard on the broadcast they had 5 former DI transfers on the roster and made the DII Final Four last year.

I thought Carey showed tremendous mobility and a willingness to be involved. He exploded off of some pick and rolls. The results weren’t there but the potential is undeniable. Size footwork and effort are there so as to contribute.

He didn't get a shot off.

So here was the best thing of the game tonight: Weedsport is sitting next to us this year! Woo hoooo! I introduced him to my daughter and my sports spouse, Gary, and showed him a couple of photos of my family room that my husband almost burned down last weekend. It was great knowing there is going to be a steady presence to my left this season. And good to reconnect with the little group that sits around us.

The game? Oh yes, the game. Well, it was, let’s just say it was, um, hmmmmmm. :rolleyes: I was pretty sure we were going to lose and adapted my psyche accordingly. Then we had a spark in the second half which eventually became a flame. (Then I thought of my family room and grew sad.) (No, I didn’t.) I enjoyed watching Benny the most. I had been concerned about him, but I don’t think I am any more. I believe he will be good. Jesse was too soft going to the basket in the first half but eventually began to dunk.

And now it’s time for true confessions. We had 5 players who all wore headbands and who had longish hair. From the third tier I couldn’t tell who was who. This is always a problem for me early in the season but tonight was particularly hard. I’ll get there.

I wish I could feel a little more optimistic about the season after this game but but at the moment I am practicing my loin girding. It’s a little like Pilates. :)
bball...you either are in another dimension or I have had too many wines. i think it was a classic Syracuse win. JB played all the player in the 1srt half and trimmed it down for the 2nd half. We had the classic Syr screww up at the end of the half...giving up the 3 pt shot at the clock. Definitely mid season form here!! This is a freshmen dominant team and JB got a good look at all. I was impressed in what we have at square one and we definitely have a huge area to build on. A couple of players did not have a great night but others may have had an extra special night. This was EXHIBITION Game #1. Everyone is not going to be AAA+ but neither is everyone going to be DDD-. This team has way many more pluses to build on than minuses. Lets see where we are a month or so from now. I am excited to see a very young Orange squad that can get much, much better. Thank you for listening. I am excited to see basketball season back ON TOP of a super football season so for. LGO

Copeland-Minsk-Taylor-Williams-Edwards

But we gotta be loyal to ol' Joe.

bball...you either are in another dimension or I have had too many wines. i think it was a classic Syracuse win. JB played all the player in the 1srt half and trimmed it down for the 2nd half. We had the classic Syr screww up at the end of the half...giving up the 3 pt shot at the clock. Definitely mid season form here!! This is a freshmen dominant team and JB got a good look at all. I was impressed in what we have at square one and we definitely have a huge area to build on. A couple of players did not have a great night but others may have had an extra special night. This was EXHIBITION Game #1. Everyone is not going to be AAA+ but neither is everyone going to be DDD-. This team has way many more pluses to build on than minuses. Lets see where we are a month or so from now. I am excited to see a very young Orange squad that can get much, much better. Thank you for listening. I am excited to see basketball season back ON TOP of a super football season so for. LGO
C’mon, man, you KNOW I’m in another dimension!

I agree - I think a couple of the kids who will be at the tail end of the PT chart have good upside. I just hope we can keep them here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom