Quick thoughts on Bingo and a look ahead to Albany | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts on Bingo and a look ahead to Albany

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
Was pretty bullish on the Cuse's chances against Bingo but man that was an epic @ss whooping. Just domination in all facets. As others have noted I would pump the brakes a little bit as the upcoming and really the entire schedule is absolutely daunting but its a hell of a start.

Clearly the play of Varello and Delisle was exceptional, will be nice to see SU use a 1-2 punch at the X hopefully and be able to go three deep if necessary. Bingo's guy is no pushover either so this made the performance that much more impressive. Thought the wings looked good as well, Schwasnick was great there as a frosh but took a bit of a step back last year but looked like his oldself again on Saturday. Bodes well for the future. Hope to see Dami out there on the wings along with Fernandez and or Murphy. Desko really seems to be making an effort to play the young guys this year as very few of the touted frosh sat yesterday. Lauder seems to be headed for a red-shirt. I was a little suprised that Fernandez, Murphy and Barlow apparently all saw time. Would think the staff would have red-shirted one or two of them with such a log game at LSM. Curious decision there.

Hard to get a read on Madonna and really the D as a whole with SU dominating possession so much. Only negative aspect was the man down d didn't look much better then last years version which really struggled at times. Thought Mellen and Bomberry both looked in mid season form and the SSDM looked aggressive and with their man/matchup without issue. Huge test next week obviously but the SSDM position finally seems to have some big/physical guys there. Like that Ford saw sometime there late in the game. He clearly has no path for PT on offense, use his size on D.

Loved what I saw offensively honestly, SU had a few goals where the Bingo D just got exposured as not being very good or some crazy boucnes (Solomons goal) but most of those were legit. Love that Desko rotated in Lipka on the second line, been asking for that for years now. Allows him to get another guy out there if one of the regular three is struggling or it isn't a great matchup. That third line of Carlin, McKinney, and Romano is a nice mix of upperclassmen and essentially a frosh in Romano who has barely played even though he is a r- sophmore. You wonder if Quinn or Buttermore or O'Sullivan can push for a spot on the third line before the season is out. Attack looked good, obvioulsy Bomberry with 5 goals is a dream scenario and Solomon was the good Solomon on Saturday. Loved what I saw from Voigt but not sure if he developed his game more or if he took advantage of an opponent that was clearly overmatched. Seebold saw sometime but seems unlikely to play a lot of minutes over the current top 4 at least at this point.

In closing the opening game went as well as you could have asked to be honest, with this schedule probably having the #1 SOS in the country there wont be many games like this so it was good to reward some of the guys further down the bench as there opportunities this year will likely be few and far between. Thought the man up unit clearly has a way to go as they did score but just didn't look crisp. Still think Desko needs to get a young guy in there to shake things up a bit. A guy like Dordevic or Lipka or even Quinn I think would really help open things up. Need some more facilitators besides only Lane up top.

Regarding the Albany game I feel a better about it today then I did before the season. Key is going to be not getting routed at the X and trying to see if we can battle Ierlan to .500 or at least close to that. Albany returns a lot from last year and is a very Senior heavy team so I think SU still has to be considered an underdog in this game. I think they do have some question marks at the midfield outside of McClancy who will surely draw Fusco/Helmer. Eccles can be dangerous as a time and room shooter but he isn't much of a dodger. Not sure who there third mid guy will be, might be Patterson as I believe they moved him to middie halfway through last year or it could be the older Burgmaster. There pretty high on Kyle Casey a Frosh from Yorktown but I am not sure hes ready to start especially in this type of game, he will probably be on the second line. Obviously Mellen will draw Fields and Bomberry will shadow Nanticoke. Not sure what strategy Dekso and the staff will come up with regarding slides and how they want to handle the D depending on who is initiating ie Fields vs Nanticoke. I can't see SU playing zone this game unless there getting killed at the X and on the scoreboard. I think SU maybe slow to slide on the Fields/Mellen matchup but quicker if Nanticoke is initiating. Assuming SU can at least battle at the X the game will probably come down to how well the Syracuse midfield plays. If you look at the last few years when Albany lost to SU and to teams like Maryland they really struggled to containing the midfields. Maryland especially hurt them last year at the midfield as Rotanz had a field day. I think Albany will come out as pumped as they have in a while as again they are a heavy senior team who has beaten SU once in the last decade + and lost some heartbreakers the last few years. Good news for SU is that Fields, Reh, Colarusso, Sims, McClancy, Kluk, and both the starting and back up LSM are all seniors.

Last edited:
Was pretty bullish on the Cuse's chances against Bingo but man that was an epic @ss whooping. Just domination in all facets. As others have noted I would pump the brakes a little bit as the upcoming and really the entire schedule is absolutely daunting but its a hell of a start.
Great write-up, Jeremy. That being said,

This team beats the 1990 team by at least 10. Probably more.

;)

Jeremy or others, Do you know if one of Patterson, Reh, Fields, Nanticoke are running at mid? The are all talented enough to start on attack, but you can have 4 attack men, who is the odd man out? And is he running 1st-line mid?

Jeremy or others, Do you know if one of Patterson, Reh, Fields, Nanticoke are running at mid? The are all talented enough to start on attack, but you can have 4 attack men, who is the odd man out? And is he running 1st-line mid?

I beleive Patterson is running at the midfield. Albany has 4 attackmen like SU - Fields, Reh, Nanticoke, and the frosh from last year whose name escapes me at the moment.

Edit - The other attackmen is Soph Mitch Laffin

This is the best rivalry game for the Orange in any sport.

I would have liked to see the offense run more sets, I felt like it was more of a pick up game style offense than a regular 6v6 set that you traditionally see. Or maybe, thats the style we'll see going forward. I think its going to take the next 3 games before we really see what kind of O this team has. Do the young kids know the sets and where to be? When you face better competition, understanding the O and where to be is gonna be a lot more critical.

Lookout for Albany freshman midfielder Peter Schwab from Penfield, NY

I would think you’ll see Quinn this weekend as he is from the Albany area, big motivation!

Lookout for Albany freshman midfielder Peter Schwab from Penfield, NY

I would think you’ll see Quinn this weekend as he is from the Albany area, big motivation!
Fields n Tehoka get most of the ink so Reh slides somewhat under radar with 40 goals last year

This is more than a top 10 matchup. This the battle for New York Lax supremacy and it is going yo be a dog fight. Just like when Florida football teams play each other, many of the guys on both of these teams know each and have went to camps together or played on all star teams and many were recruited by both schools. Orange need to keep the tempo rolling from the Bingo game to have a good chance to come away with a W.

Thanks, Jeremy, enjoy the recap.

Agree that the wings looked good and Varello is the real deal. Enjoyed his dominance and the fact that he had much more help than the Orange showed last year, at least in my opinion.

I like the young guys attitude of not stopping. The experienced players show they did not like the one goal victories and are refusing to accept it. Same with Desko and staff. I don't have heart issues but another year of Orange scraping by in all sports could shorten a life by several years.

I hope we run the open offense, it looks like we have the players to do so. Besides, the teams that have beat the Orange the last few years seemed to be running g a fast offense and transition game. Again, my opinion, but that is what I recall.

This is going to be a very difficult game to win as Albany has a vet team with top talent and huge motivation. Told by attendees that they dominated scrimmages against Colgate (score 12-4) and Princeton (score 13-1) when starters were in. Cuse opening performance vs Bingo was certainly encouraging but some shine is removed after seeing an average Colgate more or less do the same . Knowing Gate was not competitive against Albany troubles given similar Bingo victories. Understand that different team matchups result in different outcomes. Be interesting to see what the pundits predict but expect Albany to be favored and game likely be a high scoring contest.

This is going to be a very difficult game to win as Albany has a vet team with top talent and huge motivation. Told by attendees that they dominated scrimmages against Colgate (score 12-4) and Princeton (score 13-1) when starters were in. Cuse opening performance vs Bingo was certainly encouraging but some shine is removed after seeing an average Colgate more or less do the same . Knowing Gate was not competitive against Albany troubles given similar Bingo victories. Understand that different team matchups result in different outcomes. Be interesting to see what the pundits predict but expect Albany to be favored and game likely be a high scoring contest.

I think this is spot on unfortunately, as I have mentioned a few times this probably the most talented team Marr has had at Albany. Very interested to see how things play out on Saturday.

I beleive Patterson is running at the midfield. Albany has 4 attackmen like SU - Fields, Reh, Nanticoke, and the frosh from last year whose name escapes me at the moment.

Edit - The other attackmen is Soph Mitch Laffin

Nanticoke seems too big to run at the midfield. Bomberry to cover if on attack? Who will Fusco and Cunningham pick up? Curious what you all the the potential matchups might be for the game. Mellen seems to likely to be on Fields. Mellen dominated him a few years ago. Maybe Rodgers will mix and match. It is very intriguing to see how we do on defense. As jeremy mentioned above not much to be gained from Binghampton because we controlled the ball so much and had such a monster lead.

I really know very little about Albany's defense. The unit seems to have been their Achilles heel in past seasons. As others have noted with the Thompsons they should have made a final four. They just gave up too many goals. I always thought that Blaze Riordan was a good goalie. However, it may have been his notoriety and flare for the dramatic that made him stick out. Not sure how technically sound he was in net. JD Colarusso is an honorable mention all american by Insider Lacrosse. I know nothing about him and do not recall him playing out of his mind against us in prior years. The scorring stats from the scrimmages seem to suggest that they have a stout defense. I don't know any of their defenders but honestly don't really know many defenders from any of the teams in D1. Do they have a take away defender that will give us fits?

Seems like the team that makes the most stops will win. I just don't get the sense that this game will be a blowout in for either side.

So pumped for the game. So many questions!

Nanticoke seems too big to run at the midfield. Bomberry to cover if on attack? Who will Fusco and Cunningham pick up? Curious what you all the the potential matchups might be for the game. Mellen seems to likely to be on Fields. Mellen dominated him a few years ago. Maybe Rodgers will mix and match. It is very intriguing to see how we do on defense. As jeremy mentioned above not much to be gained from Binghampton because we controlled the ball so much and had such a monster lead.

I really know very little about Albany's defense. The unit seems to have been their Achilles heel in past seasons. As others have noted with the Thompsons they should have made a final four. They just gave up too many goals. I always thought that Blaze Riordan was a good goalie. However, it may have been his notoriety and flare for the dramatic that made him stick out. Not sure how technically sound he was in net. JD Colarusso is an honorable mention all american by Insider Lacrosse. I know nothing about him and do not recall him playing out of his mind against us in prior years. The scorring stats from the scrimmages seem to suggest that they have a stout defense. I don't know any of their defenders but honestly don't really know many defenders from any of the teams in D1. Do they have a take away defender that will give us fits?

Seems like the team that makes the most stops will win. I just don't get the sense that this game will be a blowout in for either side.

So pumped for the game. So many questions!

This is what I posted above in my original post about the potential D matchups for Syracuse.

McClancy who will surely draw Fusco/Helmer. Eccles can be dangerous as a time and room shooter but he isn't much of a dodger. Not sure who there third mid guy will be, might be Patterson as I believe they moved him to middie halfway through last year or it could be the older Burgmaster. There pretty high on Kyle Casey a Frosh from Yorktown but I am not sure hes ready to start especially in this type of game, he will probably be on the second line. Obviously Mellen will draw Fields and Bomberry will shadow Nanticoke. Not sure what strategy Dekso and the staff will come up with regarding slides and how they want to handle the D depending on who is initiating ie Fields vs Nanticoke.

As for your questions Nanticoke will definitely play attack, Albany likes to run its middies 2 ways, and theres zero chance of him doing that. Fusco will almost surely draw McClancey who is Albany's top middie after some graduation losses from last season. Eccles is a good shooter but doesn't really dodge much. I am not sure who the third middie will be but I assume SU will still pole McClancy. Albany starting attack will likely be Fields, Nanticoke and Reh. Cunningham/Dipetro/Kennedy will draw Reh while Mellen and Bomberry get Fields and Nanticoke respectively. Bomberry is very familiar with Nanticoke so that should help at least a little bit, still if Ierlan is winning 75% of the draws its not really going to matter what we do. We will really need Madonna to have a strong game, SU's lack of an elite goalkeeper since Galloway continues to be a problem unfortunately.

As for Albany's D, its good but not great. They have a couple of good senior defenders in Sims and Reh (LSM) and another Senior in Kluck who are all starters. Sims is by far the best of the group and will probably cover Rehfuss if I had to guess. Reh is OK as an LSM but he has been toasted by high end middies (see last years Maryland game) so he can be beat but is a Sr and a decent player. Third close defender is Erik Dluhy. He was an AE all second teamer but is only listed at 5'7 and thats probably generous. Albany has a boatload of other long poles but those are the main 3. Will be intersting to see if they put Kluck on Solomon or get real adventurous and try and double pole the midfield and put a shorty on Bomberry. Again I would characterize Albany's close D as good definitely the strength versus there SSDM. It's at SSDM where Albany really struggles. The last few years SU and Maryland and to a lesser extent Yale have really had success at the midfield against the Danes. Guys like Dearth, Dordevic, Curry, Simmons, Lane etc need to take advantage as I assume they will pole Trimboli but Marr could throw a curveball. I wouldn't be surprised if Desko rotated that second line liberally with other players to try and find a matchup he likes. I expect to see a lot of Lipka. Colarusso is an above average goalie but I certainly wouldn't say he's elite. He played out of his mind last year against SU in the first half but came back down to earth a bit in the second half. He had some really good games for Albany last year but he was also torched by UNC and Maryland late in the year. If SU has enough possessions they can put some pressure on him I think, all about varying shot angles and locations.

I wonder if they have a "Fire Marr" thread? ;):cool::p:rolleyes:

LMAO. Very interested to see him play on Saturday but the hype on him is reaching Lyle Thompson Sr year levels, people need to pump the brakes a bit.

That discussion is coming sooner then they realize.
I personally don’t think Marr will ever leave Albany. He has a built a powerhouse and probably has the ability to get anyone in he would like to have on field. Plus he makes $175k from state with pension. Why leave?

I personally don’t think Marr will ever leave Albany. He has a built a powerhouse and probably has the ability to get anyone in he would like to have on field. Plus he makes $175k from state with pension. Why leave?

Multiple reasons actually - Hes an alumni, his salary would probably be north of $750K, and he would have the ability to win a national championship if he could recruit as well at JHU as he is at Albany despite some significant hurdles. As much as he's done at ALbany and he's done a lot they still haven't reached the final hour and hes 1-15 or whatever it is versus Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom