Quick Tidbit on Laray Smith | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quick Tidbit on Laray Smith

We aren't using the "44 card" on a kid that is a lesser recruit on our board than Gus Edwards.

Cali's potential 44's over the last 4 years
2009: PTG
2010: AAM
2011: Morris
2012: Smith

Still waiting on one of those recruits to have a season worthy of 44. The number needs to stay retired.

Morris and Smith haven't even hit campus yet. It's kind of rough to give someone crap about they turned out, don't you think?

Morris and Smith haven't even hit campus yet. It's kind of rough to give someone crap about they turned out, don't you think?
Same with Moore and Gulley, they ahve plenty of career a head of them.

We aren't using the "44 card" on a kid that is a lesser recruit on our board than Gus Edwards.

Still waiting on one of those recruits to have a season worthy of 44. The number needs to stay retired.
Wasn't 2008 the year of Mike Jones as well? I'm not sure about AAM on that list. To get cali's vote for 44 you have to run a 4.4.

JO was a regular poster who was very knowledgeable about the NJ/NYC high school football scene (I always assumed he was a HS coach or ex-coach). He was a big proponent of track times, which personally, I never thought translated well to running the football.
For sure, remember a kid called Terrell Davis out of GA, was too slow and not very dynamic as a RB according to most experts, didn't even start at GA. NFL Scouts from the combine had him outside the draft, well rest is history. We could use a pick up like that, problem is, one never knows who. Its about game spead more than anything in my opinion, those kids that can turn it on with the ball in their hands.

Did he choose Morris this past year? I don't remember him saying much about Morris.
I liked Morris a great deal but I don't think he was 44 worthy during his recruiting. I thought that Lynch might have been. AAM never. Give me "some" credit please.:crazy:

I like Laray way over Edwards . Speed being the bigger advantage for Laray. I'm glad you're keeping track of my last misses on the 44. Of all those ,I think Mr.Smith might be the most deserving. I don't recall ever thinking that AAM was a 44 caliber prospect. In fact I thought he was nother version of DC3 who was a good back but not great for Syracuse. Very little speed which is hurting him with the colts.:(

DC3 was a GREAT back, one of the best in many years. While he wasn't a blazer, he was strong, smart and rarely fumbled. He practically carried the team on his back in 2010.

Y
DC3 was a GREAT back, one of the best in many years. While he wasn't a blazer, he was strong, smart and rarely fumbled. He practically carried the team on his back in 2010.
eah but that doesn't make him one of our "greatest by a long shot. Getting caught from behind was also one of his trade mark qualities. I give him consistency and determined and a great guy for the team when he got hurt and built himself up to beast levels physically. No he didn't fumble, I'll give you that as well but not great,no way. Our greats went into the NFL and continued to be great. DC3 might not even make the cut this year.

Y
eah but that doesn't make him one of our "greatest by a long shot. Getting caught from behind was also one of his trade mark qualities. I give him consistency and determined and a great guy for the team when he got hurt and built himself up to beast levels physically. No he didn't fumble, I'll give you that as well but not great,no way. Our greats went into the NFL and continued to be great. DC3 might not even make the cut this year.

Making the NFL has nothing to do with 44. DCIII, by his Senior Year, was deserved of the No. 44, especially compared to what we've had the last 10 years.

Edwards if he comes with Ebeneezer, preferably both Edwards and Larray as it would be a nice 1/2 punch that we need with different skill sets

This wasn't a rip on those players. I think everyone on that list will turn out to be productive for us. I don't think any of them will be 44 worthy or ever was 44 worthy.

And Cali, I forgot about Akeel Lynch, he was definitely on there for you. Same with Kamara and David Oku.

Excuse me, but you inexplicably left Jamere Knox off of your list here, bnoro :D

John Garcia just tweeted that he ran a 10.4 100m at a meet on Saturday. That is a sick time...if it is legit, it would be the 14th fastest time in HS track this year. It would also be good enough to have won the 2011 Big East Outdoor Championship (USF WR Hopkins won with a time of 10.44).

Looks like he will be up here for camp.

I spoke with him yesterday. Some cool tidbits about Syracuse and his relationship with coaches: http://www.nationoforange.com/content/laray-smith-talks-recruitment-syracuse-interest-498/
thanks BleedsOrange - there's a lot to like in that interview from the Syracuse perspective - whether it's feeling comfortable at the school, his chosen major, wanting the coaches to care about his academics, and even the fact that he plans to commit by the end of the summer - UConn is going to put up a good fight, but I like SU's chances here (fingers crossed about Oregon situation and even if they do offer his comfort with the distance and the other kids out there).

That was a great article, thank you for posting. Laray seems to have his head on straight and understands what he wants from his school. I have a hard time seeing without my orange colored glasses, but it sure seems that Syracuse is a great fit for him. Particularly due to his desire to study communications and his desired comfort level with the school, which he has clearly established with a number of the players and coaches at Syracuse, even prior to visiting. I would love to have him along with the other players from New York City, because I think they could really play with a chip on their shoulder and make a statement about New York football, more specifically NYC football.

This wasn't a rip on those players. I think everyone on that list will turn out to be productive for us. I don't think any of them will be 44 worthy or ever was 44 worthy.

What are you basing this statement on? HS film? Combines? Who wore 44 over the last 40 years that was worthy? What is your definition of "worthy" of 44? Heisman or HOF?

What are you basing this statement on? HS film? Combines? Who wore 44 over the last 40 years that was worthy? What is your definition of "worthy" of 44? Heisman or HOF?
Actually I don't think ANY HS player is worthy of #44 as a freshman. I think they need to come in, play extremely well, exibit excellence as a student athlete and then be in position to be offered the number.

The crap about it being used as a recruiting tool is stupid. 99% of prospects have no idea the significance of #44, let alone the few elite prospects that we ever get. Let them come in, prove themselves WORTHY, learn about the history and then be offered it.

Actually I don't think ANY HS player is worthy of #44 as a freshman. I think they need to come in, play extremely well, exibit excellence as a student athlete and then be in position to be offered the number.

The crap about it being used as a recruiting tool is stupid. 99% of prospects have no idea the significance of #44, let alone the few elite prospects that we ever get. Let them come in, prove themselves WORTHY, learn about the history and then be offered it.

I agree with you. I think it should be given to an upperclassman who has shown leadership, physical ability and a strong work ethic that makes him stand out above the rest of the team. It should be open to offensive and defensive players (if they are eligible to wear #44). It can still be used in recruiting, along the lines of saying to a player, "I can see you wearing #44 as a junior..."

exactly what Marronesplan said. There is no worthy 44. the number needs to stay retired.

exactly what Marronesplan said. There is no worthy 44. the number needs to stay retired.
Not retired, but the senior captains should have the option to wear the jersey in honor of those that have come before them.