Quincy Guerrier physically ready to play college hoops | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier physically ready to play college hoops

How do you phonetically say Guerrier?

How do you phonetically say Guerrier?

Guer-ri-ere

Think of the pronunciation of two French words you probably do know.

La Guerre (War) for the "Guer" part
Derriere (Buttocks) for the "rier" part as in der·ri·ère

It'll be nice to have a physical player on our front line again. When is the last time we had a kid come in with that kind of build?

Guer-ri-ere

Think of the pronunciation of two French words you probably do know.

La Guerre (War) for the "Guer" part
Derriere (Buttocks) for the "rier" part as in der·ri·ère

Nope. There is a reason there is an e at the end of derriere and it makes it a totally different sound.

Its much more subtle "r" sound at the end, when there is no e.

Nope. There is a reason there is an e at the end of derriere and it makes it a totally different sound.

So basically, we still have no idea. So you're saying its GARY-AY?

I just talked with a friend in Paris who is fluent in French.

Turns out I was wrong, but so is the "Ger-ree-ay" approach.

Seems like the Perrier people have populariized the "Per -ee -ay" pronunciation even though the average Frenchman would find that as annoying as Per-ee-er". Perrier realized it was a word Americans just wouldn't be able to pronounce properly.

According to this guy, no American is going to be able to pronunce Guerrier properly including not being able to add the slight trill to the "r".

I think I'll stick to calling him Quincy (but not they way they pronounce it in Massachusetts).

Seems like the Perrier people have populariized the "Per -ee -ay" pronunciation even though the average Frenchman would find that as annoying as Per-ee-er". Perrier realized it was a word Americans just wouldn't be able to pronounce properly.

According to this guy, no American is going to be able to pronunce Guerrier properly including not being able to add the slight trill to the "r".

Not sure a person who speaks French French is qualified to tell us how a Quebec French speaking person might pronounce their name.

like the quote about not focusing on nba but winning a championship at syracuse. he understands going pro is a process and focusing on nba can be counterproductive to that goal.

I mean Vermont is pretty much Quebec so educate us!

I'm sure I could find some locals who could, but I'm a flatlander, transplanted from the Troy area via a short stint in Boston after the Cuse.

But Cowtown has some relations who could shed some light on this.

I don't know about Quincy's last name, but the French spoken in Quebec and France are quite different/diverging. Quebecers have some significant difficulty communicating when visiting Paris and/or France. And then there's the "French" spoken down in Louisiana: Creole and Cajun. Different languages.

Point is, and I don't mean to be prikly, but I am not certain your friend in Paris is the best source for the pronunciation of Quincy's surname.

Last edited:
Townie’s contact...

Attachments

• 4041F342-4919-45B9-B370-2DB3000CA137.jpeg
    4041F342-4919-45B9-B370-2DB3000CA137.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 15
I don't know about Quincy's last name, but the French spoken in Quebec and France are quite different/diverging. Quebecers have some significant difficulty communicating when visiting Paris and/or France. And then there's the "French" spoken down in Louisiana: Creole and Cajun. Different languages.

Point is, and I don't mean to be prikly, but I am not certain your friend in Paris is the best source for the pronunciation of Quincy's surname.
Yeah, he should ask him if he speaks German. No? You’re welcome, you smug bastard.

I'm aware that Cajuns haven't had any French language lessons since sometime in the 1600's and that any word that has been invented recently ends up being English (La Television, La computer.) But a lot of the basics are very similar. But even in France there are local dialects starting with Alscaciens, the variant spoken by many in Alsace.

So the only possible correct input we can get on the proper pronunciation of Guerrier is from Quebeque-er?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom