Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me that’s not the issue. The issue for me is the narrative that Q was “ok” and that we are somehow better off without him. We are going to be a horribly unathletic perimeter team next year and maybe we win 30 games. But we are not a better team with the defections and the newcomers. Just a twisted narrative going on in here.
I see you’re having fun in trying to explain that lol. Unfortunately, save (maybe just mentality) some of these posts when we are getting torched cuz we are so unathletic on the wings

But it impacted his decision. Everyone did what was right for them.
I honestly don't believe it did. If anything, the lack of another strong rebounder in the front court may have led Quincy to believe he was less likely to be able to play the perimeter game he believes he needs to showcase to get himself to the next level. If he was concerned by playing time, then he has no business aspiring to play professional ball.

And I don't believe transferring to another college program is in his best interest at all. Staying at Syracuse, getting all-ACC recognition and building on a strong two year trajectory would arguably be the best path to a combine invite. Once you get that, everything else becomes almost irrelevant. You have a chance to perform and showcase your skills in a controlled setting.

I honestly don't believe it did. If anything, the lack of another strong rebounder in the front court may have led Quincy to believe he was less likely to be able to play the perimeter game he believes he needs to showcase to get himself to the next level. If he was concerned by playing time, then he has no business aspiring to play professional ball.

And I don't believe transferring to another college program is in his best interest at all. Staying at Syracuse, getting all-ACC recognition and building on a strong two year trajectory would arguably be the best path to a combine invite. Once you get that, everything else becomes almost irrelevant. You have a chance to perform and showcase your skills in a controlled setting.
But isn’t your second sentence exactly that the transfers impacted decision? It’s not all about PT.

lets stop kicking the can.

Its not unreasonable to suggest having two Boeheims and two hometown buddies of his kids on the team, combined with the playing time complaints this year specifically at guard, might have affected the thought process (right or wrong) of Q staying.

I understand it’s uncomfortable for some to admit, but it’s clearly out there in the mouths of opposing coaches recruiting against us.

Its not unreasonable to suggest having two Boeheims and two hometown buddies of his kids on the team, combined with the playing time complaints this year specifically at guard, might have affected the thought process (right or wrong) of Q staying.

I understand it’s uncomfortable for some to admit, but it’s clearly out there in the mouths of opposing coaches recruiting against us.

it’s also not unreasonable to suggest he told JB he was going to test the nba route and JB needed/wanted a quick decision so as not to get hung out to dry completely. It’s also not unreasonable to think JB told him his minutes at the 3 would not be consistent even if his total minutes were. Why did it take Q a month to decide on the portal after he announced he was going to test the nba waters?

it’s also not unreasonable to suggest he told JB he was going to test the nba route and JB needed/wanted a quick decision so as not to get hung out to dry completely. It’s also not unreasonable to think JB told him his minutes at the 3 would not be consistent even if his total minutes were. Why did it take Q a month to decide on the portal after he announced he was going to test the nba waters?

ok...that’s great. It has nothing to do with what I said. I’m speaking specifically of the thought process after Q decided he would not play at Syracuse next year, either in the pros or in college.

do you agree opposing coaches are using the fact that Jim currently has 2 sons and 2 of his sons friends on this team against us in recruiting?

ok...that’s great. It has nothing to do with what I said. I’m speaking specifically of the thought process after Q decided he would not play at Syracuse next year, either in the pros or in college.

do you agree opposing coaches are using the fact that Jim currently has 2 sons and 2 of his sons friends on this team against us in recruiting?
won't the 2 sons be gone before any high school recruit would be here?

you’re talking about Q’s thought process.

you’re talking about Q’s thought process.

my post was very straight forward. I believe (Note: I never suggested I agreed with it) that other teams coaches are using the current roster against us and I don’t believe it’s unreasonable to suggest that it had a hand in Quincy’s decision to go pro or go to another school.

if you want to grind that house organ and suggest Jimmy wasn’t going to be on the team if Q stayed, go for it. Everyone knew he was going to be on this team this year, so you can assume the players did too.

the other comments you made are fantastic and I never said they werent possible, if you can point out where I said otherwise, fantastic. Ultimately, It has nothing to do my point that some are refusing to acknowledge

For me that’s not the issue. The issue for me is the narrative that Q was “ok” and that we are somehow better off without him. We are going to be a horribly unathletic perimeter team next year and maybe we win 30 games. But we are not a better team with the defections and the newcomers. Just a twisted narrative going on in here.
I disagree that we won't be a better team. I'm excited for the team and don't think I'm twisted.

First, the center position is undisputably much better. Sid/Jesse/Frank >>>>Marek/Jesse

The starting guards will both be a year older, more mature, and experienced. True, we lost Kadary but Symir will be there for a backup.

And for forward we'll have Cole/Benny/JimJr vs QG/AG/Bras. They're different. Lose rebounding, gain three point shooting. Lose athleticism, gain height. (QG >Benny, Cole>AG, JimJr>Bras).

I believe the center position is so much better that the overall outlook for the team is higher. Reasonable people can have different thoughts on this.

I disagree that we won't be a better team. I'm excited for the team and don't think I'm twisted.

First, the center position is undisputably much better. Sid/Jesse/Frank >>>>Marek/Jesse

The starting guards will both be a year older, more mature, and experienced. True, we lost Kadary but Symir will be there for a backup.

And for forward we'll have Cole/Benny/JimJr vs QG/AG/Bras. They're different. Lose rebounding, gain three point shooting. Lose athleticism, gain height. (QG >Benny, Cole>AG, JimJr>Bras).

I believe the center position is so much better that the overall outlook for the team is higher. Reasonable people can have different thoughts on this.
Sure you could win a national championship too. But that doesn’t mean that what walked out the door isn’t right now better than what walked in. It also doesn’t mean the narrative of Q being “ok” is not silly. Q and Kadary were the 2 best players on the team at various points. We have extreme guard ball handing deficiencies now and once teams overplay Buddy I worry there is not a guy on the court that can break down a defender (absent Benny). Additionally you lost your best rebounder and inside scorer.

look we did what we had to do in the transfer portal era. I get it. But it doesn’t change the narratives that at least two of the losses were massive

my post was very straight forward. I believe (Note: I never suggested I agreed with it) that other teams coaches are using the current roster against us and I don’t believe it’s unreasonable to suggest that it had a hand in Quincy’s decision to go pro or go to another school.

if you want to grind that house organ and suggest Jimmy wasn’t going to be on the team if Q stayed, go for it. Everyone knew he was going to be on this team this year, so you can assume the players did too.

the other comments you made are fantastic and I never said they werent possible, if you can point out where I said otherwise, fantastic. Ultimately, It has nothing to do my point that some are refusing to acknowledge

I don’t know who would or wouldn’t have been on the team if Q stayed and had never announced. I can assure you one thing Jimmy was not a sure thing all along.

So JB would jeopardize having a player he proclaimes as a potentiall A-A on his roster because he wanted his sons and their buddies? Kick that can all you want. that's delusional thinking.

So JB would jeopardize having a player he proclaimes as a potentiall A-A on his roster because he wanted his sons and their buddies? Kick that can all you want. that's delusional thinking.
please read my post again and quote respond where I used JB, Jim, Coach, or Boeheim (referring to Coach Jim Boeheim, not his sons) anywhere in my post. thanks.

I don’t know who would or wouldn’t have been on the team if Q stayed and had never announced. I can assure you one thing Jimmy was not a sure thing all along.

Fair enough, we’ll agree to disagree

please read my post again and quote respond where I used JB, Jim, Coach, or Boeheim (referring to Coach Jim Boeheim, not his sons) anywhere in my post. thanks
Its not unreasonable to suggest having two Boeheims and two hometown buddies of his kids on the team,

Assume by "His kids" you meant JB, not Quincy. But I apologize. Your point is apparently rival coaches have used that against us in encouraging Quincy to transfer, not that it is an ulterior motive of Coach. Of course they could only do that AFTER Q enterred the portal. Otherwise it would be tampering and the NCAA frowns on that!

Last edited:

i see things as you do. not sure how much of that is orange colored glasses (that I seem to always wear when trying to objectively project the squads chances for a coming season)

I get why people are bemoaning the loss of kadary (especially) and Q...I mean, they were both very good performers for the team. but they weren't perfect, either.

an individual player can be a "better player" than another player...but not be as good a fit given a certain fit. for instance, Kyrie made the Celtics a lot worse imo...he just didnt fit with those guys and his attitude was poor. now, I am not saying that q or kadary werent good team players.

I get that people realize that they are 2 big losses and the replacements dont seem as objectively as good, individually.

But overall, when you break it down like you have, the guards should be better or as good...with a year of seasoning and symir is a wildcard. but conisdering kadary played spot duty (i wanted him starting)...the guards could probably be more prodctive than last year.

i like the center spot a lot more than last year.

and i think the overall forward group is much better too.

i dont think Q is a put my team on my back and win a title type of player...hes a decent role player on a title team but thats it, imo...

i just feel like the team has better mix of styles this year than last...despite losing some players I didnt want to.

I think people are underselling Quincy and overselling Swider a bit.

It's fine. It's the off-season we got to find something to talk about.

For me, it's The Golden Girls, but to each their own.

One thing that does make me nervous with Swider though... the idea that the staff considers Swider to be an "elite" shooter. I don't know how I feel about that. I hope they're right. I know this staff has also talked up shooters that kinda weren't that awesome by the percentages.

Also, we know this means the dude could brick like 8 in a row, it's not changing the minutes.
I think Cole is a really good shooter, but so is Alan Griffin. Griff’s sophomore 3-point percentages at Illinois were just a bit better than Cole’s junior year numbers at Nova. My fear is that Cole is a one-dimensional offensive player. I seriously hope I’m wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom