Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just part of this boards insanity. You know, at one time, this place was a place of fun. Some of us remember the Great Alaska shootout chat room. A blast at the wee hours. Now, it's a place for constant whining and complaining. Don't we get enough of that at work or at home or on the news. And it's the same stuff, day after day by the same people. A lot of really good people have left these boards and I think a lot more will leave. And before any nitwit says, hey, can't we talk about the real problems with the program. Of course. But there were games where we won and there were crickets after the game. Buddy was fabulous the last 10 games. And one moronic fan said yeah, but what about the Houston game? We are getting to the point of just shutting the whole thing down. Remember the newspaper board? How terrible that was/is? Well, here we are.
Great post, thank you for bringing this up, it def needed to be said. I’d gather to say a lot of posters who might not post much but come here often feel this way. It seems like a small group of posters just bash or complain no matter what day after day. Hopefully we can remedy this going forward because this is an incredible place to talk Cuse hoops, the best on the internet IMO.

Good luck to quincy. He wants to shoot the 3. Likely realizes it’s his chance to make money at next level and jimmy won’t green light him to take it all the time. Wants him down low. Fine. Let him chase his dream.

Last edited:
Besides the point about our roster falling apart and my other opinions. I do understand both sides of the freedom part. Jim is trying to win games. So he doesn’t want guys who aren’t great shooters to shoot threes because it’s inefficient. But unfortunately, the player needs to grow that part of his game because that is what the NBA is all about. If your coach prevents you from playing the wing and shooting a lot of 3’s on top of playing zone and little man. It is hard to show how you fit in the NBA. I’m not saying that you can’t show glimpses, obviously we have had really high draft picks here.

Bottom line is jim is in the business of getting wins and unfortunately the players business is to get to the league and get payed. And sometimes those two things don’t mesh.

Great post, thank you for bringing this up, it def needed to be said. I’d gather to say a lot of posters who might not post much but come here often feel this way. It seems like a small group of posters just bash or complain no matter what day after day. Hopefully we can remedy this going forward because this is an incredible place to talk Cuse hoops, the best on the internet IMO.
It’s normal in sports. When teams are struggling like we have been (barley getting into tourney, not being ranked) fans will complain. Winning, which includes being highly ranked and getting high seeds in NCAA tourney and also having NBA draft picks cures all. Unfortunately for Syracuse the bar it’s set high based on past success. Welcome to big time college basketball, its not about developing kids or helping them get a degree anymore.

Here he shot the 3, drove (clumsily a lot) to the hole, rebounded, played inside. Not sure what else is there outside of maybe man up defense.
I disagree about the clumsily part. Substantially better at finishing than someone like Oshae in his time here. He isn’t an above the rim player and played often against bigger people who also had some great athleticism. As such, he sometimes struggled to finish inside, often trying to force contact instead of maneuvering to a higher % spot. The baskets he made against lesser opponents were harder to come by (makes sense, obviously). I thought he actually was very good at driving and finishing with his left hand. That was a great development for him. One of the last words I would use to describe him (and you didn’t, just a more general point) is selfish. Not a chance from what I saw. He battled and was a critical player for us. Period. Add in his closing statement, and I don’t think for a second there was any bad blood. It was clearly a thought out, respectful note, and I wish him the best. I will miss him.

As we speak the rabbits around central new york are living in abject fear and terror. They can no longer count on their main protector, as missing bunnies is no longer a guarantee with Gurriel's exit.

Besides the point about our roster falling apart and my other opinions. I do understand both sides of the freedom part. Jim is trying to win games. So he doesn’t want guys who aren’t great shooters to shoot threes because it’s inefficient. But unfortunately, the player needs to grow that part of his game because that is what the NBA is all about. If your coach prevents you from playing the wing and shooting a lot of 3’s on top of playing zone and little man. It is hard to show how you fit in the NBA. I’m not saying that you can’t show glimpses, obviously we have had really high draft picks here.

Bottom line is jim is in the business of getting wins and unfortunately the players business is to get to the league and get payed. And sometimes those two things don’t mesh.
Probably frustrating when he shoots 31% from 3 and is chastised for it but then another guy has been at 32 and 33% through 2 years and is fine to jack up 10 in a game with little ever said about it.

I disagree about the clumsily part. Substantially better at finishing than someone like Oshae in his time here. He isn’t an above the rim player and played often against bigger people who also had some great athleticism. As such, he sometimes struggled to finish inside, often trying to force contact instead of maneuvering to a higher % spot. The baskets he made against lesser opponents were harder to come by (makes sense, obviously). I thought he actually was very good at driving and finishing with his left hand. That was a great development for him. One of the last words I would use to describe him (and you didn’t, just a more general point) is selfish. Not a chance from what I saw. He battled and was a critical player for us. Period. Add in his closing statement, and I don’t think for a second there was any bad blood. It was clearly a thought out, respectful note, and I wish him the best. I will miss him.

I like him, didn't find a lot of his drives to the hole fluid when he went more paint than baseline. As far as his game goes he seems to be a classic tweener, don't see how going somewhere else will unleash something that didn't happen here.

I like him, didn't find a lot of his drives to the hole fluid when he went more paint than baseline. As far as his game goes he seems to be a classic tweener, don't see how going somewhere else will unleash something that didn't happen here.
Agree. He can size/athleticism is way through college ball but I don't see a single NBA trait that is even average besides physicality which isn't too valuable when you're 2-3 inches shorter than needed to maximize that trait.

Probably frustrating when he shoots 31% from 3 and is chastised for it but then another guy has been at 32 and 33% through 2 years and is fine to jack up 10 in a game with little ever said about it.

I don’t remember Q being “chastised” for taking 3’s. I don’t think it’s as much not being able to take 3’s, it’s the opportunity too because he was playing the 4 and not the 3. He took 2.6 3’s per game this year (Joe took 5.3). Not bad for a 4 but if he was playing the 3 he’d get more opportunities.

This is basic math. 33.0% from beyond the arc is one point per possession. That is the magic number so anyone shooting below 33.0% should be selective enough to raise their shooting percentage to 33.0%.

I know how people feel about Bobby Knight, but he addressed this situation. He said when good shooters miss, they don't miss by much. If someone is missing by a lot, why the F*** are they shooting?

Sorry for the profanity but, hey, it was a Bobby Knight quote.

This is basic math. 33.0% from beyond the arc is one point per possession. That is the magic number so anyone shooting below 33.0% should be selective enough to raise their shooting percentage to 33.0%.

I know how people feel about Bobby Knight, but he addressed this situation. He said when good shooters miss, they don't miss by much. If someone is missing by a lot, why the F*** are they shooting?

Sorry for the profanity but, hey, it was a Bobby Knight quote.
32.4 was less than 33 though. Another guard shot 33% and apparently wasn't supposed to shoot either. None of it really matters going forward I guess.

So the tournament is all you care about.
Okay fine.
That is your standard.
Atleast you are saying it.
Because the regular season matters as well and have been below .500 against P6 and ACC teams since 2014.
They don't hang banners for really good Februaries. Of course it's the tournament that matters.

I suspect Quincy was probably unhappy with JB saying he could be an All-American, then
promptly importing his other kid to split minutes with him. I don't really believe that Swider
is an improvement on Braswell either. QG could've been happy with a rotation of him,
Benny, and Braswell, but not sharing time with Benny and two others.

KF

And if you hang banners for sweet 16s it’s pathetic.
Just curious. Have you been to any college basketball arenas? Pretty standard practice.

I suspect Quincy was probably unhappy with JB saying he could be an All-American, then
promptly importing his other kid to split minutes with him. I don't really believe that Swider
is an improvement on Braswell either. QG could've been happy with a rotation of him,
Benny, and Braswell, but not sharing time with Benny and two others.

KF

Well, we didn't have a choice but to replace Bras with SOMEBODY.
HE left.

You can debate whether Cole is an upgrade, lateral, or downgrade all you like.
We needed a guy. We got a guy.
(I believe he's an upgrade, as a better proven shooter, beefier, and healthier.)

And, once Q said he was "exploring the NBA draft", it would have been coaching malpractice not to try to find a replacement for him.
Which we did.

JB can't hold open a spot in the hopes that maybe Q comes back, or to try to entice him to do so.

Because of that, Syracuse is no longer Q's best option to showcase his skills -
IF he even goes back to college anyway.
So he then also decided to enter the Portal, to cover his bases.

I suspect neither party has any hard feelings.
They're all adults, and this is business, not personal.

Attachments

• F8847EC1-B781-47FD-9420-52EDADF3074C.jpeg
    F8847EC1-B781-47FD-9420-52EDADF3074C.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 105
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics