Quincy | Syracusefan.com

Quincy

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
I’m in Eugene and tonight my son and I decided to go to the Oregon-Wisconsin NIT game. Good game, I was able to high five the Oregon Duck, etc etc. Very enthusiastic crowd considering these two programs are more used to being in thé NCAA’s

Guerrier lost his starting job earlier this year but the Ducks were down three players so he started at the 3 and got a lot of run. Finished with 14 and 8 but shot poorly and his lack of further development in overall skills since transferring from SU has been discussed many times before.

That isn’t what stood out to me however. Although it was a decent sized crowd, I had the best seats for a game that I have had since the infamous Magic Johnson MVP Carrier Classic game in Manley years ago. What stood out to me up close is how he played defense like he was in a street brawl, and I mean that as a compliment. Not dirty but rather very physical and with tons of effort. We had nobody at forward that played that physical this year, not Maliq, not Benny, and certainly not anybody at the 3. He was an animal underneath and overall on D.

He looks like he has grown maybe an inch since his SU days but he is still a 4 in the body of a 3 and unfortunately in his mind he is a 3 also. Sadly, he is mistaken. Our coaches saw it but he did not.

Came here looking for…
54972325-A97F-4A36-BC6C-6DC74D346256.jpeg

I think he’s an ideal add in the portal and next to Jesse we become a big team and are not going to be young or bad at rebounding.

I’m in Eugene and tonight my son and I decided to go to the Oregon-Wisconsin NIT game. Good game, I was able to high five the Oregon Duck, etc etc. Very enthusiastic crowd considering these two programs are more used to being in thé NCAA’s

Guerrier lost his starting job earlier this year but the Ducks were down three players so he started at the 3 and got a lot of run. Finished with 14 and 8 but shot poorly and his lack of further development in overall skills since transferring from SU has been discussed many times before.

That isn’t what stood out to me however. Although it was a decent sized crowd, I had the best seats for a game that I have had since the infamous Magic Johnson MVP Carrier Classic game in Manley years ago. What stood out to me up close is how he played defense like he was in a street brawl, and I mean that as a compliment. Not dirty but rather very physical and with tons of effort. We had nobody at forward that played that physical this year, not Maliq, not Benny, and certainly not anybody at the 3. He was an animal underneath and overall on D.

He looks like he has grown maybe an inch since his SU days but he is still a 4 in the body of a 3 and unfortunately in his mind he is a 3 also. Sadly, he is mistaken. Our coaches saw it but he did not.
I haven't seen any Oregon games this year as most are on late night but did watch yesterday. You could tell he played with a lot of effort on the defensive end and unfortunately doesn't have all the skills to be an effective perimeter player on offense. He's listed as 6'8 and 220 and would never be hoisting up so many threes in our offense. He had six attempts last night.

QG turns 24 in May. Not sure what he will gain by coming back another year but if he is eligible, he could still try to work on his shooting. He can be effective inside but wants more. I see both sides, but like you said, he wasn't even starting.

Does he still low five invisible people on the free throw line?

He could probably make as much money from NIL here as he could playing overseas or in the G league.

He's a great kid. I just wish he could improve his three-point shooting. It's what would get him paid at the next level. Without that, he won't make it. You've got to be able to hit the three as a small forward in the NBA today.

Good to hear his defense is nasty. I hope he can make a lot of money in Europe over the next decade. I don't blame him for leaving. Coach B basically told him he wasn't going to shoot threes. He knew in order to make it to the next level; he needed to show off that side of his game. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have that side of his game.

Hopefully, he's in the gym shooting 1,000 threes daily this summer with a shooting coach by his side.

Does he still low five invisible people on the free throw line?
I don’t recall that he did, although I think he only went to the line once.

he did miss a 3 at the buzzer that would have sent the game into OT. In his defense, it was a desperation heave.

A guy to my left was complaining about the refs and wondered aloud what conference they were from. He speculated that maybe they were from the ACC. I told him that the only way to be sure that they were from the ACC was if, regardless of whether the Badgers or Ducks were leading at the end, the refs awarded the game to Duke. In a pinch, they might award it to another Tobacco Road team, but Duke would definitely be their first choice. That would be the dead giveaway.

Last edited:
I watched the game just to see how Quincy played a couple of years later. As I posted in another thread, I was quickly reminded how he would miss bunnies. He missed at least two last night, one was after the defender fell to the floor. I never could then, nor now, understand how a player of his size playing that close to the basket can miss? I did note his 3 point shots were still a bit flat.

I've seen this idea thrown around. Is there any inkling Quincy wants to come back to SU?

Still perplexed by his decision to transfer to Oregon.

Still perplexed by his decision to transfer to Oregon.
They recruited him hard out of high school. After he declared for the draft and came back with what the NBA wanted to see him improve on, JB justifiably told him he would not be a 3 in our system. OU promised him a chance at the 3. Much like our promise to Villari that Dino would give him a chance at QB, OU gave Quincy a shot at small forward.

In neither of those two cases did it really work out. Villari seems to have been moved to TE. Although Guerrier seems to have finished his career as a 3 and started his OU career as a 3, he spent much of it being moved to the 4.

I heard Oregon was very upset with the lack of a crowd?
I have to say that it seemed much larger and very loud, but then again the upper deck was closed off. The Duck climbed a railing in front of me and then high fived me. Lee Corso would be jealous.

All the while I was thinking that Otto would need to hit the gym for a few years before he attempted to climb up over a railing in the Dome. Our training staff has to make that happen.

This whole Quincy talk had me wondering... how often does a player leave a school and then return? And when they do, how does it go? After a little searching, I was suprised to see it's happened a lot more often than I thought (and with some success for some guys). According to CBS Sports (some notable players)...

PLAYERFIRST/CURRENT SCHOOLTRANSFERRED TO
Jeriah HorneTulsaColorado
Tyler HarrisMemphisIowa State
Elijah OlaniyiStony BrookMiami
Kevin MarfoQuinnipiacTexas A&M
Payton WillisMinnesotaCharleston
Both GachUtahMinnesota
Brendan BarryDartmouthTemple
Jason CarterOhioXavier
Pedro CastroTexas-ArlingtonHouston Baptist
Jaylen FornesUNC WilmingtonNicholls State
Caleb GrillIowa StateUNLV
Randy Miller Jr.North Carolina CentralIndiana State
Dimencio VaughnRiderOle Miss

They recruited him hard out of high school. After he declared for the draft and came back with what the NBA wanted to see him improve on, JB justifiably told him he would not be a 3 in our system. OU promised him a chance at the 3. Much like our promise to Villari that Dino would give him a chance at QB, OU gave Quincy a shot at small forward.

In neither of those two cases did it really work out. Villari seems to have been moved to TE. Although Guerrier seems to have finished his career as a 3 and started his OU career as a 3, he spent much of it being moved to the 4.
He has the "Paul Harris affliction"- prototype body of a PF, w/ a small forward's height.
You can't fool Mother Nature!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom