Quint: Here's what to watch as the 2017 lacrosse season begins | Syracusefan.com

Quint: Here's what to watch as the 2017 lacrosse season begins

Our boy Quint, never one to back away from a Syracuse slight...

Syracuse Midfielders Sergio Salcido and Nick Mariano are terrific, and the defense should be stout. But who's going to play attack for Syracuse? Slowly this dominant program has dropped out of the upper tier and now is ranked anywhere from No. 5 to No. 12 preseason. The Orange have appeared in championship weekend just once since 2009, a far cry from their streak of 22 straight from 1983 to 2004.

Our boy Quint, never one to back away from a Syracuse slight...

Syracuse Midfielders Sergio Salcido and Nick Mariano are terrific, and the defense should be stout. But who's going to play attack for Syracuse? Slowly this dominant program has dropped out of the upper tier and now is ranked anywhere from No. 5 to No. 12 preseason. The Orange have appeared in championship weekend just once since 2009, a far cry from their streak of 22 straight from 1983 to 2004.

Sucks to hear that but hard to say he's wrong or that the statement is way over the top. One final four appearance since 2009 is simply not gonna get it done for a program the stature of Syracuse especially when you consider SU was knocked out as the 2 seed twice in that stretch at home. I would argue that SU has remained in the Upper tier (see two straight ACC titles and an ACC title game appearance) but has failed to make the Deep tourney runs we are all accustomed to.

Sucks to hear that but hard to say he's wrong or that the statement is way over the top. One final four appearance since 2009 is simply not gonna get it done for a program the stature of Syracuse especially when you consider SU was knocked out as the 2 seed twice in that stretch at home. I would argue that SU has remained in the Upper tier (see two straight ACC titles and an ACC title game appearance) but has failed to make the Deep tourney runs we are all accustomed to.

Weren't we in the championship game in 2012 against Duke? Might be the wrong year but we were there.

Weren't we in the championship game in 2012 against Duke? Might be the wrong year but we were there.
What really is awful about that year (2013) is if we had Ben Williams that would have been a national title team. Could not win a faceoff at all in the second half and it was the difference. I remember saying if we had a dominant guy we would have won at least one title since 2009. We can't waste a talent like Williams this season!

Quint could just as easily make that comment about Hopkins. One final four since 2008... no titles since 2007 :) He never goes there with his analysis!

Last edited:
He’s right that our last NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WAS 2009. But we were the runner up in 2013. So it’s been 3 seasons since our last final four. Come on. We still win ACC titles and we’re still the team nobody wants to play and we can still beat every single team in the country.

To say Syracuse has dropped out of the top tier is disingenuous. Does he say the same about Hopkins? Hopkins has only been to 1 FF since 2008. And it’s been a decade since they’ve won a title.

Staying in recent history since rosters contain relevant players.

2013 – Syracuse, Denver, Cornell, Duke (Duke) over syracuse

2014 – Duke, Denver, Notre Dame, Maryland (Duke)

2015 – ND, Denver, Maryland, Hopkins (Denver)

2016 – Maryland, Brown, UNC, Loyola (UNC)

What really is awful about that year (2013) is if we had Ben Williams that would have been a national title team. Could not win a faceoff at all in the second half and it was the difference. I remember saying if we had a dominate guy we would have won at least one title since 2009. We can't waste a talent like Williams this season!

Quint could just as easily make that comment about Hopkins. One final four since 2008... no titles since 2007 :) He never goes there with his analysis!

He has dinged Hopkins from time to time but hes been more restrained with them the last few years.

He’s right that our last NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WAS 2009. But we were the runner up in 2013. So it’s been 3 seasons since our last final four. Come on. We still win ACC titles and we’re still the team nobody wants to play and we can still beat every single team in the country.

To say Syracuse has dropped out of the top tier is disingenuous. Does he say the same about Hopkins? Hopkins has only been to 1 FF since 2008. And it’s been a decade since they’ve won a title.

This board is amazing! We all agree :)

The issue for SU is that it has underachieved the last few years in the tourney and its overall recruiting has been a bit shaky relative to what it was. The 2011 team was a final four team that got caught up in the Maryland stall ball disgrace, 2014 was the unforgiveable upset to Bryant with a pretty loaded team and 2015 was the defensive disaster to Hopkins in the quarters with a once a decade offensive juggernaut team.

Our D and Attack recruits have been shaky the last few years and we have had to supplement with transfers to keep us above water ie Barber, Staats, Mariano, the kid from Brown etc. The D looks very promising with a bunch of young talented players over the past two seasons with this years class especially looking good with Dipetro and Kennedy impressing in the fall (Kennedy hurt and redshirting I believe). Our recruiting the next 3 years really looks like the SU of old with the 2018 class especially loaded. Should the D continue to improve that could be a very dangerous team with Cook, Kim Twins, Matt Magnan, Owen Hill, Fiorini, and Auburn amongst others not to mention Austin Staats (hopefully).

The issue for SU is that it has underachieved the last few years in the tourney and its overall recruiting has been a bit shaky relative to what it was. The 2011 team was a final four team that got caught up in the Maryland stall ball disgrace, 2014 was the unforgiveable upset to Bryant with a pretty loaded team and 2015 was the defensive disaster to Hopkins in the quarters with a once a decade offensive juggernaut team.

Our D and Attack recruits have been shaky the last few years and we have had to supplement with transfers to keep us above water ie Barber, Staats, Mariano, the kid from Brown etc. The D looks very promising with a bunch of young talented players over the past two seasons with this years class especially looking good with Dipetro and Kennedy impressing in the fall (Kennedy hurt and redshirting I believe). Our recruiting the next 3 years really looks like the SU of old with the 2018 class especially loaded. Should the D continue to improve that could be a very dangerous team with Cook, Kim Twins, Matt Magnan, Owen Hill, Fiorini, and Auburn amongst others not to mention Austin Staats (hopefully).

Not to mention if they seeded the tournament correctly we would have got Maryland in the Final Four instead of the quarterfinals last season. That time was a final four team at the very least. Still not one of our best...and won the ACC tournament. We are still an elite program no matter what that blowhard has to say.

Still we are about excellence and championships (not just final fours). Hopefully the latest recruiting will get us back to the glory days! Agree with your points on transfers, etc. Mellen is a solid Defensive recruit. Think our Defensive long stick midfielders are excellent.

Totally biased Orange guy but Quint gets me sometimes. There is a difference between facts and opinions becoming facts which tends to happen with all of these talking heads.

Fired up on a FRiday! Bring on Sienna! GO ORANGE

Not to mention if they seeded the tournament correctly we would have got Maryland in the Final Four instead of the quarterfinals last season. That time was a final four team at the very least. Still not one of our best...and won the ACC tournament. We are still an elite program no matter what that blowhard has to say.

Still we are about excellence and championships (not just final fours). Hopefully the latest recruiting will get us back to the glory days! Agree with your points on transfers, etc. Mellen is a solid Defensive recruit. Think our Defensive long stick midfielders are excellent.

Totally biased Orange guy but Quint gets me sometimes. There is a difference between facts and opinions becoming facts which tends to happen with all of these talking heads.

Fired up on a FRiday! Bring on Sienna! GO ORANGE

Last years team could have been a final four squad but it had some serious flaws. No QB attackmen, no real midfield depth, hot and cold defense and a veteran but inexperienced net minder who really struggled against Maryland. As you noted if the matchups had been different that team could have made a deep run but Maryland was an awful matchup for that team, I wasn't surprised we struggled.

2011 stall ball game loss to Maryland 6-5
2012 was a loss to Duke 12-9 / 1st round
2013 Championship Game
2014 was the crazy upset to Bryant 10-9 / 1st round
2015 was a 1 goal loss to Hopkins 16-15 /quarterfinal
2016 was a 13-7 loss to #1 seeded Maryland / 1st round (we got screwed on the seed Marquette a 6?)

2011 stall ball game loss to Maryland 6-5
2012 was a loss to Duke 12-9 / 1st round
2013 Championship Game
2014 was the crazy upset to Bryant 10-9 / 1st round
2015 was a 1 goal loss to Hopkins 16-15 /quarterfinal
2016 was a 13-7 loss to #1 seeded Maryland / 1st round (we got screwed on the seed Marquette a 6?)

The 2014 and 2015 teams will be the ones that haunt me. Both of those teams were final four teams and that 2015 squad should have won a title or at least made the title game.

If we aren't an upper tier program, who is in the tier above us? Hopkins? Nope. Maryland, who hasn't won a title since the 1970's? Denver? they've been good lately. ND? Still haven't won a title. Duke? Nice run, but went south last year and don't look all that good this year.

There is no dominate team in college lacrosse, to be honest I think Cuse has as good of a shot as anybody this year. Maryland will be good again, but they lost their goalie and face-off guy I believe. This is their last chance.

If we aren't an upper tier program, who is in the tier above us? Hopkins? Nope. Maryland, who hasn't won a title since the 1970's? Denver? they've been good lately. ND? Still haven't won a title. Duke? Nice run, but went south last year and don't look all that good this year.
I think what Quint means is, that Syracuse once sat in a tier alone at the top of the lacrosse world. We have now dropped to be among the best teams, but not alone at the top.

I think what Quint means is, that Syracuse once sat in a tier alone at the top of the lacrosse world. We have now dropped to be among the best teams, but not alone at the top.

I don't think that's what he is saying. He is saying there is an upper tier of teams in which we do not belong.

"Slowly this dominant program has dropped out of the upper tier and now is ranked anywhere from No. 5 to No. 12 preseason."

I don't think that's what he is saying. He is saying there is an upper tier of teams in which we do not belong.

"Slowly this dominant program has dropped out of the upper tier and now is ranked anywhere from No. 5 to No. 12 preseason."
You can't listen to what he says, you have to look at what is in his heart.

We all know that lacrosse is a whole different world from when SU, Princeton, UVA or hopkins won it every year. Plus Quint's been wrong before, ask Jovan Miller.

2013, the infamous cant win a faceoff game. Had we had Ben Williams probably would have won it all.
We didn't even need a Ben Williams performance. Had we been 50%, hell, even 40% at X that day we likely win. People forget that we led 5-0 after the 1Q, Duke had no answer for us on offense & could barely get a shot of their own. We got up 6-1 & then Fowler won 13 straight FO's. We barely touched the ball for about 25 minutes of game time & the lead was just insurmountable come the 4Q. There's no doubt in my mind that outside of the FO X, we were the better team.

Sorry to recount that dreadful day. I just still haven't fully gotten over it & never will. Rice, Donahue, Megill, Mullins, etc. deserved a title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom