Quint: Lacrosse Must Welcome All | Syracusefan.com

Quint: Lacrosse Must Welcome All

IMG_0054.jpg

Now THAT is how you deliver a heart-felt statement. This just made me have so much more respect for the guy-- and I just put two and two together that Pierre Byrne is his son.

But on another note-- to all of the Syracuse coaches (both Head and Assistant) that have stayed silent on this issue during these times, just know that your silence is speaking volumes...

But on another note-- to all of the Syracuse coaches (both Head and Assistant) that have stayed silent on this issue during these times, just know that your silence is speaking volumes...

No, it doesn’t

Are you black?

What does that matter?

I don’t even know what the tennis coach’s name is. Or does this just apply to certain coaches? Has Coach Q said anything yet? I haven’t seen anything from him, so what does that speak volumes about? Nothing. Give me a break with this nonsense, there’s no timeline.

What does that matter?

I don’t even know what the tennis coach’s name is. Or does this just apply to certain coaches? Has Coach Q said anything yet? I haven’t seen anything from him, so what does that speak volumes about? Nothing. Give me a break with this nonsense, there’s no timeline.
Thats exactly what I thought. It matters, because you shouldn't be telling me or people from my community how to feel. Period.

Thats exactly what I thought. It matters, because you shouldn't be telling me or people from my community how to feel. Period.

yet here your are telling someone else (coaches) how to feel and when to release a statement. It’s not fast enough for you so it means something. Means what, they don’t care? There was really no reason at all for your comment. None. Speaking volumes is your opinion, not mine.

Last edited:
yet here your are telling someone else (coaches) how to feel and when to release a statement. It’s not fast enough for you so it means something. Means what, they don’t care? There was really no reason at all for your comment. None. Speaking volumes is your opinion, not mine.
The fact you used coach Q as an example is hilarious too. In case, you weren’t aware, he’s black. And the majority of his team is black. I think its already a given he is passionate about the BLM movement/educating his players/inclusivity.

But when you are a white coach and have a team predominately made up of white athletes, yes, I 100000% believe you should be writing statements. PhatOrange seems to think there’s no timetable, however, the longer these coaches wait to speak up the more it seems (to me) that they a) have nothing to say or b) don’t care enough to make any statement.

Didn’t mean to start a fight on here, but it’s a little frustrating when innocent people are getting severely hurt and dying on the streets from protesting and I see coaches/assistant coaches not even batting an eye/staying silent. One assistant coach in particular was too busy posting pics partying with their friends for the past two weeks.

The fact you used coach Q as an example is hilarious too. In case, you weren’t aware, he’s black. And the majority of his team is black. I think its already a given he is passionate about the BLM movement/educating his players/inclusivity.

But when you are a white coach and have a team predominately made up of white athletes, yes, I 100000% believe you should be writing statements. PhatOrange seems to think there’s no timetable, however, the longer these coaches wait to speak up the more it seems (to me) that they a) have nothing to say or b) don’t care enough to make any statement.

Didn’t mean to start a fight on here, but it’s a little frustrating when innocent people are getting severely hurt and dying on the streets from protesting and I see coaches/assistant coaches not even batting an eye/staying silent. One assistant coach in particular was too busy posting pics partying with their friends for the past two weeks.

What if they indeed don't have anything to say?

I definitely agree that a statement should be issued. Considering all of the national news going on and a college that states inclusivity in their handbook. By not acknowledging anything is frankly inappropriate.

Of course I know Q is black and Autry and Griffin..that's the point. I'm honestly surprised what some coach says really matters that much to you. I have immediate black family members and black best friends, drinking buddy friends, and NONE of them has said, geez I wish coach XYZ would issue a statement, it means so much to me. They are frankly concerned about much larger issues than what some stupid piddly wink coach has to say.

That's the end of it for me orange79...sorry

What if they indeed don't have anything to say?
Of course I know Q is black and Autry and Griffin..that's the point. I'm honestly surprised what some coach says really matters that much to you. I have immediate black family members and black best friends, drinking buddy friends, and NONE of them has said, geez I wish coach XYZ would issue a statement, it means so much to me. They are frankly concerned about much larger issues than what some stupid piddly wink coach has to say.

That's the end of it for me orange79...sorry

Then just like I said previously, it speaks volumes. Let’s just use another analogy: you have a close friend who’s loved one died a horrible death, the story has been all over the news and social media. Would you offer your condolences immediately or wait around two-three weeks because you couldn’t be bothered?

Especially as a coach who has previously had black players come through the program and/or currently has black players on the roster how does that look? Especially in a sport that is predominantly white, their slogan is “grow the game”, and wants to make the sport more diverse. Someone shouldn’t have to tell a coach (who is looked at as a leader and a role model) to speak up and make a statement... that should just come naturally. If you believe that a statement shouldn’t have to be made swiftly or at all, I think that says a lot more about your character than it does mine.

** Sorry orange79, this was my last message on this issue lol. **

Then just like I said previously, it speaks volumes. Let’s just use another analogy: you have a close friend who’s loved one died a horrible death, the story has been all over the news and social media. Would you offer your condolences immediately or wait around two-three weeks because you couldn’t be bothered?

Especially as a coach who has previously had black players come through the program and/or currently has black players on the roster how does that look? Especially in a sport that is predominantly white, their slogan is “grow the game”, and wants to make the sport more diverse. Someone shouldn’t have to tell a coach (who is looked at as a leader and a role model) to speak up and make a statement... that should just come naturally. If you believe that a statement shouldn’t have to be made swiftly or at all, I think that says a lot more about your character than it does mine.

** Sorry orange79, this was my last message on this issue lol. **

The analogy is not appropriate, that is not apples to apples. Every coach has to make a statement, just to make a statement, just because they have and do interact with black players? This is crazy, man.

I wish everyone would stop telling everyone else what to do:) I recognize the irony!

they owe conversations to the team, after that its their own issue as to how much out in the open they want to be with their thoughts.

We are a bunch of dinosaurs on a message board.

The athletes of this generation seem to be looking for statements from their coaches on social media. They expect those whom they consider leaders to speak up. And when they don’t? Right or wrong, they interpret the silence.

We are a bunch of dinosaurs on a message board.

The athletes of this generation seem to be looking for statements from their coaches on social media. They expect those whom they consider leaders to speak up. And when they don’t? Right or wrong, they interpret the silence.
You hit the nail on the head. Most people don’t realize this.

Creatorsgame is right. It is expected. I think Desko would be wise to reach out to Nate McPeak, Dami Oladunmoye, as well as Chase Scanlan and Jerry Staats and ask them what they would like to see in a statement from the Orange coaching staff.

Creatorsgame is right. It is expected. I think Desko would be wise to reach out to Nate McPeak, Dami Oladunmoye, as well as Chase Scanlan and Jerry Staats and ask them what they would like to see in a statement from the Orange coaching staff.

How do you know Desko hasn't?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom