Quint's Fact & Opinion: Gaudy Records, Conference Races, Star Showings | Syracusefan.com

Quint's Fact & Opinion: Gaudy Records, Conference Races, Star Showings

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Quint's Fact & Opinion: Gaudy Records, Conference Races, Star Showings

Fact: Syracuse (8-1) has won five consecutive one-goal games. It has played in seven one-goal games this season.

Opinion: Syracuse has stockpiled quality wins and will be a high seed once the NCAA tournament arrives. But its slow tempo is concerning, and goalie Evan Molloy is making saves at a 48 percent rate. Syracuse ranks 66th of 71 teams in pace of play. No Orange team has ever played at a slower pace. While I respect its defense, it's far too reliant on playmakers Sergio Salcido and Nick Mariano in half-field sets.

Fact: Syracuse leads the nation in average attendance, attracting 4,736 fans per game in the temperature-controlled Carrier Dome.

Opinion: Michigan (8-2) averages 618 fans while playing in a building that holds 109,901. Rutgers averages 1,100 fans in a 52,000-seat football stadium. Ohio State averages 1,000 fans in the 110,000 seat Horseshoe. Maryland averages more than 48,000 empty seats when it plays at home. The Big Ten needs to invest in smaller lacrosse-only facilities. Bigger isn't always better.

I had to read this like 10x. The guy just can’t help himself can he? He didn’t say one positive thing.

12.6 goals per game that's what Syracuse averages.

I disagree 1000% that Syracuse plays at a slow tempo – they average 12.6 goals per game – against arguably the nation’s toughest schedule. But for kicks and giggles, even if they play at a slow pace, why is this is a negative for Quint? Am I wrong in thinking that to average 12.6 gpg and have the slowest pace of play wouldnt that mean they are tops in scoring efficiency? (how is pace of play measured anyways? I look at ND’s scoring and their pace of play must be like watching paint dry. )

* While I respect its defense, it's far too reliant on playmakers Sergio Salcido and Nick Mariano in half-field sets.

ummm for starters Quint, you would expect your 2 senior All-Americans to be producing and the team to be leaning on them. That’s why they’re All-Americans.

I had to go look at the statistics. Here’s the offensive breakdown:

Mariano – 37 points
Salcido – 34 points (25 assists)
Bomberry – 24 points
Evans – 22 points
Solomon – 21 points
Voight – 9 points
Lane – 9 points
Rehfuss – 8 points
Trimboli - 7 points

I thought the Syracuse numbers were actually pretty good and balanced so I looked at a couple of other top rated programs to see who’s carrying the load and how much load. Syracuse is better than everybody but PedSt, but the Pedo’s have played a creampuff schedule.

Notre Dame
Garnsey –30
Wynne – 17
Perkovic – 15
Gleason –12
Costabile –10
Schantz –8
Collins – 6
Byrne –6
Gray – 5

Johns Hopkins
Stanwick – 30
Marr – 26
Crawley –17
Tinney – 16
Dismuke – 15
Radziewicz – 10
Smith – 9
Fraser – 8
Concannon – 7

Penn State
Grant – 40
O’Keefe –39
Aponte – 34
Spillane – 23
Sutton –18
Hill –16
Keenan –16
Florence – 11
Craig – 9

Denver
Cannizzaro – 39
Walker – 34
French – 21
Jackson – 13
Donahue – 12
Pace – 9
Logan –8
McCaffrey –7
Marano - 7

Last edited:
I think at this point its pretty obvious Quint is just biased. He doesn't like cuse, theres not a doubt in my mind. I will say that I used to think he was indifferent to them. In '08 against Hop in the natty, he kept insisting that cuse was outplaying Hop and was going to win, even when we were down multiple goals. I don't know what what changed.

Also completely OT: but I've been looking for that '08 National Championship game on the Internet to watch a replay but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anybody have any suggestions?

Also completely OT: but I've been looking for that '08 National Championship game on the Internet to watch a replay but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anybody have any suggestions?

Ive been looking for it for years myself. Its like searching for the holy grail. Would love to watch that game again.

NCAA had a site of all the championship dvd's but I don't see it anymore.