Quint's Top 20: Crystallizing the Landscape | Syracusefan.com

Quint's Top 20: Crystallizing the Landscape

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
5. Syracuse
Otto played in his sixth-consecutive game decided by one goal and recorded a fifth one-goal victory of the season — that’s a first in school history. Nick Mariano and Sergio Salcido were the offensive stars in the 12-11 OT tally over Duke. The SU defense is good. SU is at Notre Dame on April 1. They have at least four more winnable games on their schedule. They should finish 12-3 and grab a top four seed.

Quint's Top 20: Crystallizing the Landscape

Don't want to jump the gun at all, and we have a long way to go before postseason play begins, but, it would be a little strange if this is the team to finally get Cuse back to the FF. No doubt over the last 4-5 years, this would not have been the squad I would peg for it. Would love to get there though, with a healthy Ben Williams, and Molloy playing like he is right now.

Don't want to jump the gun at all, and we have a long way to go before postseason play begins, but, it would be a little strange if this is the team to finally get Cuse back to the FF. No doubt over the last 4-5 years, this would not have been the squad I would peg for it. Would love to get there though, with a healthy Ben Williams, and Molloy playing like he is right now.

I think its possible but a lot depends on this offense continuing to grow, establishing some sort of depth and also what kind of draw does SU get in the tourney. An early re-match with Albany would be less then optimal. Also while the schedule seems to lighten up after this Saturday's game at ND, appearances can be deceiving. At Hobart next Wednesday will be no picnic (they have 10 days off before they play us) and Binghamton is 8-1.

11. Duke
The Blue Devils looked OK in the Dome; they've never won in there. I didn’t see many dodgers. Duke is a decent passing team with good cutters and off-ball guys, but I just don't see any kind of dodging threats to score unassisted. This Duke team isn't talented enough to overcome fundamental mistakes.

Quint can't help himself.

I still think this team has some serious flaws starting with the bad passing which leads to a lot of turnovers. Fix that, and this could be a FF squad. I would make these guys practice passing until their arms fell off. It seems like almost every time they try to make a pass in front of the net in traffic there's a turnover. Sloppy and very frustrating. Bad angles on shots (Lane. Solomon) and lack of offensive patience is another one. I do believe we won't see very much of Lane going forward. With all of that, I do believe these guys can play with almost anyone. This Sat. will be a real test. We owe these guys big time.

funny that he's actually almost forced to say good things about syracuse now. (at this point has anyone played a tougher schedule)?

way way way to early to talk about anything other than getting to the post season. FF talk is ridiculously premature. Syracuse could just as easily be on the other side of all these close games. We dodged a HUGE bullet when Tyson Bomberry let that kid catch the ball on the crease at the end of regulation.

funny that he's actually almost forced to say good things about syracuse now. (at this point has anyone played a tougher schedule)?

way way way to early to talk about anything other than getting to the post season. FF talk is ridiculously premature. Syracuse could just as easily be on the other side of all these close games. We dodged a HUGE bullet when Tyson Bomberry let that kid catch the ball on the crease at the end of regulation.
Totally agree it's way way too early. I admit I got suckered into it when Quint mentioned a possible top 4 seed. I too did the math yesterday and saw a number more "wins," on the schedule that should help. Team just needs to keep getting better, and who knows. Would love for us to make a run. I see a ton of parity this year. Should be able to see where we stand more confidently after this weekend.

{Raises hand.}

{Raises hand.}

Idk, you've played 4.5 dogs imo.

Loyola
Drexel
Siena
Penn
High Point
Syracuse
Cornell
Notre Dame
Johns Hopkins

vs
Siena
Albany
Army
Virginia
St Johns
Johns Hopkins
Duke

{Raises hand.}

The one thing about the ACC is that none of the 5 school are afraid to play anyone anywhere. Duke and ND play Denver, SU/UVA/UNC play Hopkins, ND plays Ohio State, Duke and UVA play Richmond, UNC plays Maryland, Virginia plays Loyola, We play Albany Army and Cornell. Every school does its share OOC.

Idk, you've played 4.5 dogs imo.

Loyola
Drexel
Siena
Penn
High Point
Syracuse
Cornell
Notre Dame
Johns Hopkins

vs
Siena
Albany
Army
Virginia
St Johns
Johns Hopkins
Duke

Id say its about even, Albany is really good so I might give us a very slight edge as Loyola and Drexel are down this year and Penn runs hot and cold.