Quint's Top 20: Doesn't Matter, Get Better | Syracusefan.com

Quint's Top 20: Doesn't Matter, Get Better

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

1. Syracuse
#HHH beat Hobart for the seventh consecutive time. The 21-13 destruction was fueled by Tucker Dordevic (5G) and Brendan Curry. The first midfield is explosively entertaining and once again proved that's it's the top trio in the nation. ‘Cuse is 4-0 behind shooters who are downright wicked, a team that's solid up the middle with goalie Drake Porter, face-off man Jakob Phaup and finisher Chase Scanlan. Shortie Peter Dearth will be a pro. The defense hasn't been as stingy as I anticipated, but Nick Mellen has been out. While progress is undeniable, it's far from being perfect.

‘Cuse faces Johns Hopkins in Baltimore on Saturday.

Quint...UNC does not have 6 teams that look better than it right now. Virginia losing to Princeton and barely beating High Point at home is a lot less impressive than UNC dominating Hopkins and Denver on the road. Geesh.

Quint...UNC does not have 6 teams that look better than it right now. Virginia losing to Princeton and barely beating High Point at home is a lot less impressive than UNC dominating Hopkins and Denver on the road. Geesh.
Surprised Quint doesn't have Hopkins in the top 10 after a couple of "good" losses.

Surprised Quint doesn't have Hopkins in the top 10 after a couple of "good" losses.
True but we certainly can't overlook Hop. They're off to a horrible start at 1-3; however, all 3 losses are to teams in the Top 11. They will be fired up to knock us off the top spot. Hopefully our boys don't get caught up in the record and focus on winning the week!

True but we certainly can't overlook Hop. They're off to a horrible start at 1-3; however, all 3 losses are to teams in the Top 11. They will be fired up to knock us off the top spot. Hopefully our boys don't get caught up in the record and focus on winning the week!
My comment was about Quint overrating Hopkins all the time; seems win or lose every time Quint bumps them up. A down day from any other team, they drop like a rock.

My comment was about Quint overrating Hopkins all the time; seems win or lose every time Quint bumps them up. A down day from any other team, they drop like a rock.

I disagree, over the years I would never call Quint a homer he has no issues calling out his former school. In fact if you frequent other lacrosse boards i think a lot of Hop fans don't care for him. In today's podcast he made it clear they're certainly not sniffing the top 20 right now.

My two cents: Quint can be provocative and even acerbic, but 1) he loves this game enormously, 2) I never listen to one of his game commentaries without learning something about the nuances of the sport (I will watch games I'm not interested in if Quint is in the booth), and 3) he's not a 'Cuse fan but he offers the Orange praise (and critiques) when it's earned; he truly calls them like he sees them. Finally, I believe he-- is over the years-- perhaps the game's greatest ambassador. There, I said it.

I agree with many of the points in the above posts re: Quint. Unlike MD, I do feel Quint is a bit of a homer for Hop, but that's ok. It's very difficult to maintain pure objectivity. Usually, you tend to end up being a super-homer or else going the other way (I'm looking at you, Pete Thamel).

But I don't think there's any doubt about his love for the sport, and his position as ambassador of the sport.

1583240034890.png

We're not really in a position to complain that announcers are homers. Carcaterra, Beardsley, basically every play-by-play guy.

Beardsley is critical of individual play and promotes himself/attempts to relive the glory days of when he played. I feel Carc is much more objective when it comes to reporting. Quint is less objective, especially when covering Hopkins in his top 20. I feel, even when Hopkins lost, they barely budged in his ratings, compared to other schools.

They are all wonderful ambassadors for the game, I don't dispute that one bit.

2. Syracuse (4-0)

Syracuse beat Army. Army bludgeoned UMass. UMass toppled Yale. Yale toppled Penn State in State College. So how is Syracuse behind Penn State? Well, Army also lost to Marist, but we’re not going down that massh — err — UMass hole again.

This came down to early season strength of schedule. Penn State has played Villanova (win), Yale (loss) and Penn (win). Nova banked a win against Maryland. Syracuse didn’t leave the Carrier Dome in February without beating up on Colgate, Binghamton and Hobart. The Army win is nice, but Penn State gets an ever-so-slight edge based on competition. The Orange won’t play another lacrosse game in the Dome until next year. The Dome will undergo a facelift as part of $118 million in planned renovations. Syracuse plays six of its next eight games on the road. The two “home” games will be played at Cicero-North Syracuse high school. Expect “standing room only” crowds and a sneaky good home field advantage — weather permitting.

2. Syracuse (4-0)

Syracuse beat Army. Army bludgeoned UMass. UMass toppled Yale. Yale toppled Penn State in State College. So how is Syracuse behind Penn State? Well, Army also lost to Marist, but we’re not going down that massh — err — UMass hole again.

This came down to early season strength of schedule. Penn State has played Villanova (win), Yale (loss) and Penn (win). Nova banked a win against Maryland. Syracuse didn’t leave the Carrier Dome in February without beating up on Colgate, Binghamton and Hobart. The Army win is nice, but Penn State gets an ever-so-slight edge based on competition. The Orange won’t play another lacrosse game in the Dome until next year. The Dome will undergo a facelift as part of $118 million in planned renovations. Syracuse plays six of its next eight games on the road. The two “home” games will be played at Cicero-North Syracuse high school. Expect “standing room only” crowds and a sneaky good home field advantage — weather permitting.

Yale (2-1) hasn't played at home yet. All roadies. You can't put PSU over Yale when Yale just beat them at Penn State last week. I like Anish, but that makes no sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom