Quint's Top 20: One More Chance To Extend the Season | Syracusefan.com

Quint's Top 20: One More Chance To Extend the Season

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Quint's Top 20: One More Chance To Extend the Season

6. Syracuse
’Cuse sunk Navy 18-9. The Orange have won four straight and seven of eight. They lack an offensive star but share the ball, evidenced by seven players who have 18 or more points. They are plus-9 in specialty scenarios and win face-offs at a 59% rate.

#HHH gets the short straw and has to play ACC No. 5 North Carolina on Thursday at 6 p.m. The winner plays Virginia at 2 p.m. (ESPNU) on Saturday from the new UNC lacrosse facility. The ACC could really use a sixth team to balance the league and give it an AQ.

"The ACC could really use a sixth team to balance the league and give it an AQ."

This probably deserves its own thread... really wish someone else in the ACC would find a way to add lacrosse. Anyone have an idea of who would be in the best position to do so given Title IX restraints?

"The ACC could really use a sixth team to balance the league and give it an AQ."

This probably deserves its own thread... really wish someone else in the ACC would find a way to add lacrosse. Anyone have an idea of who would be in the best position to do so given Title IX restraints?

ACC expanding to 6?

Its unfortunately a pipe dream at least at this point. Every year a new team is mentioned a few years ago it was Pitt then last year it was FSU based on their AD and someone apparenlty ready to write a big check, before that it was NC State or BC turning back the clock etc. Personally I don't see it happening unless the ACC changes its rule about partial memberships to bring in a sixth team because no current ACC team looks close to adding. Title 9 is a huge impediment and other schools like NC State and BC have already gone down the D1 path once and don't appear eager to do it again.

Honestly the ACC doesn't need a sixth team, its name recognition, conference strength and RPI and the SOS of each individual team gives anyone on the bubble a crack at two and now 3 huge wins to propel them to an at large. What it does need it so fix this idiotic conference tournament schedule that looks like something you would see for a little league team.

Honestly the ACC doesn't need a sixth team, its name recognition, conference strength and RPI and the SOS of each individual team gives anyone on the bubble a crack at two and now 3 huge wins to propel them to an at large. What it does need it so fix this idiotic conference tournament schedule that looks like something you would see for a little league team.
Does the ACC adding a 6th team mean expanding the NCAA Tournament Field by one and adding a third play-in game? How the ACC Tournament format change with 6 teams? I agree that I'd rather have the shot at 3 huge late season wins.

Does the ACC adding a 6th team mean expanding the NCAA Tournament Field by one and adding a third play-in game? How the ACC Tournament format change with 6 teams? I agree that I'd rather have the shot at 3 huge late season wins.

It would go back to having two play in games like it did when Maryland was still apart of the ACC, so yes there would be another at large spot.

There's only one play in game now. If/when the ACC gets back to 6 teams and regains an AQ, the tournament will expand back to 18 teams (up from 17 now).

In a perfect world, only the Top 4 ACC teams would qualify for the ACCT. Only 4 qualify in the B1G and the Ivy.

NC State and Ga Tech, as majority-male STEM schools, are in the best Title IX position.

There's only one play in game now. If/when the ACC gets back to 6 teams and regains an AQ, the tournament will expand back to 18 teams (up from 17 now).

In a perfect world, only the Top 4 ACC teams would qualify for the ACCT. Only 4 qualify in the B1G and the Ivy.
IIRC only the top 4 qualify in all the other tournaments.

There are a couple of ways we could work all 6 teams into the ACCT.

In the two week scenario: 3v6 and 4v5 on Thursday, Semi's on Saturday, and the two winners play the following Saturday in the Finals at the highest remaining seed.

In the one week scenario: 3v6 and 4v5 on Tuesday (3 and 4 host), Semis/Finals either Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday.

Hate the two week deal because it leaves 4 teams idle the last week of the season.

Hate trying to play 3 games in 5 days.

Since we only played 11 games could Syracuse schedule another game if they wanted to for next week if they don’t win 2 game this week?
I asked this before the season in case we were .500 and wanted to sneak in the tournament.

NC State and Ga Tech, as majority-male STEM schools, are in the best Title IX position.

Ga Tech hasn't shown any interest in moving to D-1 that I have heard or seen. Lax is still a very minor sport in Georgia, I wouldn't hold my breath on them. NC State makes sense but again they had a D1 team before and scrapped it. I know Corrigan is there now as the AD but how much push is there if any from the fanbase and or alumni to add lax? Also do we really need another lax team from Carolina?

Since we only played 11 games could Syracuse schedule another game if they wanted to for next week if they don’t win 2 game this week?
I asked this before the season in case we were .500 and wanted to sneak in the tournament.

SU played 12 games (9-3 record). At this point I don't think it would be possible to play another game as almost every league has their conf tourney next week. Only possible option would be a school that is independent like a Utah or Cle State and that's assuming they don't already have a game. In reality that type of game would only hurt SU's SOS and RPI numbers so it wouldn't make sense. Moving forward SU is in a tough spot because even if it wanted to play a game next week say mid week most teams have their conf tourneys starting that Thur/Fri. What school wants to play SU on say Tuesday and then open their conf tourney a few days later? Its why the ACC current conf tourney set up needs to be scrapped as soon as this season is over.

SU played 12 games (9-3 record). At this point I don't think it would be possible to play another game as almost every league has their conf tourney next week. Only possible option would be a school that is independent like a Utah or Cle State and that's assuming they don't already have a game. In reality that type of game would only hurt SU's SOS and RPI numbers so it wouldn't make sense. Moving forward SU is in a tough spot because even if it wanted to play a game next week say mid week most teams have their conf tourneys starting that Thur/Fri. What school wants to play SU on say Tuesday and then open their conf tourney a few days later? Its why the ACC current conf tourney set up needs to be scrapped as soon as this season is over.

Unless it's a team that didn't make their own conference tourney.

Would St Bona or Bingo come for a last minute paycheck?

And you're right, it's an RPI killer.

And I'd hate to get someone hurt.

There are a couple of ways we could work all 6 teams into the ACCT.

In the two week scenario: 3v6 and 4v5 on Thursday, Semi's on Saturday, and the two winners play the following Saturday in the Finals at the highest remaining seed.

In the one week scenario: 3v6 and 4v5 on Tuesday (3 and 4 host), Semis/Finals either Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday.

Hate the two week deal because it leaves 4 teams idle the last week of the season.

Hate trying to play 3 games in 5 days.

Your second scenario makes the most sense. Play the first two games on Tuesday and then the winners meet the 1 and 2 seeds on Fri with the champ game on Sunday. Gives the teams who win on Tuesday 2 full days off. The two week scenario I am not a big fan off but if they did do it, you would be better off playing 3v6 and 4v5 on Saturday and then the following Thur or Fri the remaining 4 seeds play and then finish up on either Sat or Sun. ACC has to limit the amount of off time the current set up forces teams to deal with. For SU to have to wait 2 and a a half weeks to play again if they lose on Thur to UNC is asinine. Even the teams that lose on Sat are off for two weeks.

Ga Tech hasn't shown any interest in moving to D-1 that I have heard or seen. Lax is still a very minor sport in Georgia, I wouldn't hold my breath on them. NC State makes sense but again they had a D1 team before and scrapped it. I know Corrigan is there now as the AD but how much push is there if any from the fanbase and or alumni to add lax? Also do we really need another lax team from Carolina?
The other biggest positive factors for Ga Tech are they are a top MCLA team and the lacrosse is an official championship sport for Georgia HSs. You're 100% right that there hasn't been a clamor there for elevating their club team.

Now that BC has a sane AD, they may start considering restarting their men's team if they can make their Title IX numbers work.

I wonder if the "number allowed of competitions each year" caused that? I know there is an NCAA limit of X number of competitions vs. another team each academic year (fall ball is part of that count as well), but I have no idea what that number is.

I wonder if the "number allowed of competitions each year" caused that? I know there is an NCAA limit of X number of competitions vs. another team each academic year (fall ball is part of that count as well), but I have no idea what that number is.

17.14.5.1 Maximum Limitations -- Institutional. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17)
An institution shall limit its total playing schedule with outside competition during the institution's playing season to 17 dates of competition, except for those dates of competition excluded under Bylaws 17.14.5.3 and 17.14.5.4.

That's 17 "dates" between Fall and Spring ball. If you schedule multiple scrimmages on the same day, it counts as one "day".

Scrimmages against alumni teams are exempt. Conference and NCAA Tournament games also don't count.

Unless it's a team that didn't make their own conference tourney.

Would St Bona or Bingo come for a last minute paycheck?

And you're right, it's an RPI killer.

And I'd hate to get someone hurt.

I do think Bona or Bingo would come for the paycheck and a chance to have a huge end of season game against a team like SU. That said the issues on our end for trying to pull something like this off is numerous.

First as you noted its a killer (at least most years) for RPI/SOS.

Second unless its an independent team who you know will be free that week you would essentially have to have an agreement in place with at least two teams in case Bingo or someone else has a better year then anticipated and makes its conf tourney is now unavailable.

Third as much as I would love another game the last thing we need is Kennedy or Mellen or Solomon or Curry or Porter blowing out a knee or suffering some other major injury because some dude from Bingo or Canisius thinks the game is his Super Bowl and is going balls to the wall and one of our major pieces gets hurt.

If the ACC keeps this dumb set up for the tourney SU could try and schedule a game but it would almost have to be on a Monday or Tuesday after the initial 1st weekend of the tournament and the options to who would be interested as an opponent would be slim to say the least.

I believe SU had the option to schedule at least another game or two but purposefully kept it low to avoid a lot of midweek games. Personally I thought at least 1 more game against a lower level team like UVA did vs VMI this weekend would have made sense but its hard to argue against Desko's decision after seeing how well the team played down the stretch. Still I would like to see SU play at least 13 games next year. Duke plays like 15 regular season games.

I do think Bona or Bingo would come for the paycheck and a chance to have a huge end of season game against a team like SU. That said the issues on our end for trying to pull something like this off is numerous.

First as you noted its a killer (at least most years) for RPI/SOS.

Second unless its an independent team who you know will be free that week you would essentially have to have an agreement in place with at least two teams in case Bingo or someone else has a better year then anticipated and makes its conf tourney is now unavailable.

Third as much as I would love another game the last thing we need is Kennedy or Mellen or Solomon or Curry or Porter blowing out a knee or suffering some other major injury because some dude from Bingo or Canisius thinks the game is his Super Bowl and is going balls to the wall and one of our major pieces gets hurt.

If the ACC keeps this dumb set up for the tourney SU could try and schedule a game but it would almost have to be on a Monday or Tuesday after the initial 1st weekend of the tournament and the options to who would be interested as an opponent would be slim to say the least.
What SU should do is schedule another game against one of the ACC tournament losers this weekend.
1 of ND/Duke would be available.
What is to stop from playing a nonconference game against an ACC team and keep the computer numbers high and the team stays sharp.

What SU should do is schedule another game against one of the ACC tournament losers this weekend.
1 of ND/Duke would be available.
What is to stop from playing a nonconference game against an ACC team and keep the computer numbers high and the team stays sharp.

Thats not a viable option as due to how small the lax tournament is theres always a chance ACC teams could meet again in the second round. No team wants to play a game against each other Say SU vs ND and then turn around and play for a third time two weeks later. Plus then your getting into issues of whether or not teams can play another game or if there at the ceiling for number of games for that year as Hoo's that outlined. Lastly in your scenario what team wants to play that game on the road. Dekso isn't play at Duke or ND and vice versa.

I believe SU had the option to schedule at least another game or two but purposefully kept it low to avoid a lot of midweek games. Personally I thought at least 1 more game against a lower level team like UVA did vs VMI this weekend would have made sense but its hard to argue against Desko's decision after seeing how well the team played down the stretch. Still I would like to see SU play at least 13 games next year. Duke plays like 15 regular season games.

They are better off having a scrimmage than playing bona or bingo

Better level of competition

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom