Quint's Top 20: Overtimes, Upsets and Shake-Ups | Syracusefan.com

Quint's Top 20: Overtimes, Upsets and Shake-Ups

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
7. Syracuse — Otto is going to need to see a cardiologist. Another low-scoring, one-goal win gets added to the resume. The Orange are 5-1 with close-shave wins against Albany, Virginia, St. John's and Johns Hopkins. Those wins boost at-large chances. Just win baby. But has SU looked like an NCAA champion at any point yet this year? Duke is next.

Quint's Top 20: Overtimes, Upsets and Shake-Ups

What did he say about JH?
Edit: Ok, I looked myself. Pretty balanced, although he seems to focus on negatives with Syracuse and positives with Hopkins. But, maybe that is my orange colored glasses.

19. Johns Hopkins — The wheels are loosening from the bus. A bad slide in overtime was the difference against Syracuse. A third-consecutive loss has Blue Jay faithful on the ledge; they own a 4-3 record with an offense taking just 36 shots per game.

6. Army — The Cadets (7-1) are ranked based on a singular win over Syracuse. What has been impressive is that Army has played great defense over the last four games, limiting opponents to a combined 18 goals. Colgate comes to Michie Stadium — a special place — this Saturday.

Is that a slam on the Cadets being ranked so high or acknowledging that it is a good win for Army? or both or neither :)

6. Army — The Cadets (7-1) are ranked based on a singular win over Syracuse. What has been impressive is that Army has played great defense over the last four games, limiting opponents to a combined 18 goals. Colgate comes to Michie Stadium — a special place — this Saturday.

Is that a slam on the Cadets being ranked so high or acknowledging that it is a good win for Army? or both or neither :)

I think he's acknowledging that he has them that high based on how good a win they have on the road against us. To be honest I think this years Army team is decent but I don't think there anything special and if Ben Williams played SU probably wins by 2-4 goals. That being said they play good D, have a solid faceoff guy and an underrated goalie. If Army keeps winning it looks better for us. With the Patriot being so down this year they could rack up a nice W-L record.

How come Quint doesn't say this in his Army write-up?

"But has ARMY looked like an NCAA champion at any point yet this year?"

Are these Big Ten teams legit or have they played soft schedules
I can't believe Penn State and Rutgers are the top 2 teams in the nation.

Are these Big Ten teams legit or have they played soft schedules
I can't believe Penn State and Rutgers are the top 2 teams in the nation.

There both good teams, I would say legit top 10 but the top 2 teams in the nation, no. PSU's offense is dynamite but there D is the opposite and will be a huge liability as the season progresses. Ruttys staff has done a great job but they haven't played a great team yet, will know a lot more after they face Maryland, JHU, and OSU.

There both good teams, I would say legit top 10 but the top 2 teams in the nation, no. PSU's offense is dynamite but there D is the opposite and will be a huge liability as the season progresses. Ruttys staff has done a great job but they haven't played a great team yet, will know a lot more after they face Maryland, JHU, and OSU.
It seems that although traditionally lacrosse has been a sport dominated by private schools, the way the scholarships are handed out allows for large state schools to quickly rise. If you can only hand out partial scholarships, then the cost of going to the school becomes a factor for the student athlete. So, if you are a state school that provides a great education, you could become a lacrosse power quite easily, no?

It seems that although traditionally lacrosse has been a sport dominated by private schools, the way the scholarships are handed out allows for large state schools to quickly rise. If you can only hand out partial scholarships, then the cost of going to the school becomes a factor for the student athlete. So, if you are a state school that provides a great education, you could become a lacrosse power quite easily, no?

I think that certainly can be true but I think it also has to do with the sport continuing to grow and more teams being able to bring in lightly recruited guys who turn out to be stars. Rutgers hot shot frosh guy from NY wasn't highly recruited and he has been a revelation for them. I think its also comes down to good coaching staffs and player development and having success with late bloomers with so many blue bloods having to go the early recruiting route. Both PSU and Rutty haven't been that involved with early recruiting though PSU has gotten more into it the last few years.

As you noted with the lower tuition you may get a player to come to your school versus going somewhere else for much else. SU had something similar happen to them with the recent decommit of Ecker to Cortland because of financial concerns.

state schools are not cheap for out-of-state students though. i'm sure kids all get tons of financial aid, same with syracuse.

the out-of-state cost of (cost of attendance) at ohio state is $44,731. tuition 29K

Pedophile State is 45K (tuition 32K) and Butters is $47,384 (tuition and fees 30K)

state schools are not cheap for out-of-state students though. i'm sure kids all get tons of financial aid, same with syracuse.

the out-of-state cost of (cost of attendance) at ohio state is $44,731. tuition 29K

Pedophile State is 45K (tuition 32K) and Butters is $47,384 (tuition and fees 30K)
Haha

Good point. So it would really only effect the state schools that produce home grown talent. And, those were strong lacrosse schools already.

Good point. So it would really only effect the state schools that produce home grown talent. And, those were strong lacrosse schools already.

Keep in mind a lot of these state schools having in state tuition discounts so while the out of state tuition maybe high those players from within the state are likely paying much less.

Keep in mind a lot of these state schools having in state tuition discounts so while the out of state tuition maybe high those players from within the state are likely paying much less.

Absolutely the in state tuitions are great.

But even so there's no regulations on financial aid so I'm sure most kids aren't being strapped with huge tuition payments. At the end of the day it's probably less than the average in state kid is paying.

Add to your comments that State schools have the benefit that lacrosse players are not freaks of nature (super tall, super large), there are many more options for the average sized person to play. If 300 LB linemen could play lacrosse effectively there would be a lot of football players (two sport) on the lacrosse team - who would want to try to stop them running down the field. The game is different and is played best by average sized people (with exceptions), with quick feet, good endurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom