Quotes from Mr. McIntyre | Syracusefan.com

Quotes from Mr. McIntyre

Jack Hall

All Conference
The D.O.: With all that Tyler’s done, he’s rising on all these NBA Draft boards. Have you guys talked at all about that? Where do you stand in making that decision?

T.M.: We haven’t really talked about it at all, to be honest. It’s probably every kid that plays college basketball’s dream to play in the NBA, but if everything’s right, all the stars align and they win the national championship, that’s something that we’d definitely talk about later. But right now, we want to win. He wants to win and he doesn’t even want to think about it to be honest.

The D.O.: So does anything distract him?

T.M.: Not really. It sounds so stupid because there’s got to be something, but there just really isn’t. He’s having fun, he’s really comfortable, he likes his teammates, he likes his coaching staff and he feels like that’s his family and he’s home. He’s just enjoying his college life right now. That’s actually one of the things. That kid makes sure he does his schoolwork. He graduated St. Benedict’s with a 4.0. He wants to make sure he gets good marks at Syracuse. I think he had a quiz first period today, and he was there.

Tyler Ennis is a rare once in a generation type player who although does not possess the prototypical attributes that people associate with great point guards, he has adequate physical gifts that are coupled with off the charts basketball instincts, intelligence, and a bullet proof calm demeanor.

Tyler Ennis is a rare once in a generation type player who although does not possess the prototypical attributes that people associate with great point guards, he has adequate physical gifts that are coupled with off the charts basketball instincts, intelligence, and a bullet proof calm demeanor.
JB said on his show yesterday, people underestimate Tyler as an athlete. I mean you watch on his game winner, after playing what 38 mins, how he rose and squared his shoulders to the basket. The body control he had. I get it, hes not super explosive, but the kid is an outstanding athlete imo. And as Tyler said, he knew it was in right after he released it

JB said on his show yesterday, people underestimate Tyler as an athlete. I mean you watch on his game winner, after playing what 38 mins, how he rose and squared his shoulders to the basket. The body control he had. I get it, hes not super explosive, but the kid is an outstanding athlete imo. And as Tyler said, he knew it was in right after he released it
An average 6 2 athlete would have gotten that shot stuffed by one or both pit defenders imo

Good lord how great would it be if he came back next year? Kid plays like a cerebral Stockton in a more athletic body.

Tyler Ennis mancrush - Engage!

I know this has been talked about to death, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. It's never a bad thing to strike while the iron is hot, but at the same time I do not know if he is physically ready for the NBA. His body is kind of small, something that can be fixed eventually. Just depends whether he wants to grow into his body in college or while being paid.

Good lord how great would it be if he came back next year? Kid plays like a cerebral Stockton in a more athletic body.

I have two big issues with the bolded:

1) Kid plays like a cerebral Stockton - are you somehow implying that Stockton was NOT cerebral? If so, that is ludicrous.

2) in a more athletic body - now maybe that will be true some day, but I think you are significantly underestimating the athleticism it takes to be arguably one of the 5 best all-time point guards in the NBA.

I think people are just really quick to limit the definition to athleticism to explosive jumping and running speed, but there's a lot more to it than that. People can be great athletes in different ways.

Reactions: MGP
That was a great interview. I personally got a kick out of this exchange.

The D.O.: Did you get a chance to talk to him after the game at all?

T.M.: Yeah, I actually called him, I think he had just finished his ESPN interview. I pretended like I didn’t watch the game. I just said, ‘Hey, did you guys win?’ He was like, ‘Oh, shut up. Don’t tell me you missed that?’ It was actually funny. I just ask how it felt and he said, ‘As soon as I let it go, I knew it was good.’

1) Kid plays like a cerebral Stockton - are you somehow implying that Stockton was NOT cerebral? If so, that is ludicrous.

I took this to mean he has Stockton's cerebral quality in him.

2) in a more athletic body - now maybe that will be true some day, but I think you are significantly underestimating the athleticism it takes to be arguably one of the 5 best all-time point guards in the NBA.
Stockton was very, very quick and had great straight line speed as well. He was also very strong and physical for his size. Impossible to strip the ball from.

I like the comparison because both play(ed) with a pass first, team first mentality.

1. Not implying that at all.

2. Ennis is a better athlete than Stockton.

2. Ennis is a better athlete than Stockton.

I know its opinion, but one is one of the all time greats in the sport, one is a college freshman who is not even the most athletic guy on his own team. (Cooney, Grant, & Fair to name better athletes, IMO.)

Interesting about the definitions of athletic. Stevie Thompson was a great athlete in a different way than Tyler, but he was one cool customer as well. He also was at a very high level from an educational standpoint like Tyler.

I have been saying all year that people way under value/estimate Tyler's athleticism.

I know this has been talked about to death, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. It's never a bad thing to strike while the iron is hot, but at the same time I do not know if he is physically ready for the NBA. His body is kind of small, something that can be fixed eventually. Just depends whether he wants to grow into his body in college or while being paid.
Thing is, I think the answer is , if you can go, and it makes sense, go. There is risk only the player is assuming by coming back.

I know its opinion, but one is one of the all time greats in the sport, one is a college freshman who is not even the most athletic guy on his own team. (Cooney, Grant, & Fair to name better athletes, IMO.)

What does TE's athletic standing on his own team have to do with a comparison to Stockton? I think he's a better athlete than Stockton, that's all.

I guess it depends on how you define athleticism, but John Stockton played 19 years in the NBA. In 17 of those seasons, he missed exactly zero games. You gotta be some kind of athlete to be that durable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom