R.I.P Bob Dooms March 4th 2020 Butler Pa | Syracusefan.com

R.I.P Bob Dooms March 4th 2020 Butler Pa

Best 6’5” Division 1 Center I’ve ever seen.
he might have even only been 6’4”, but rock solid build.
Not to take anything away from Bob, but Rick Dean at similar size at center had him beat by a mile.

Agree, not to take anything away from Bob, but Rick Dean was a player, and my brother's roommate. We lost him several years ago.

Did Mr. Dooms come here on a football scholarship?

We in the Zoo called him Over Dooms because opposing centers jumped over him at the offensive end. Joel Mareiness who broadcast our games in those days ("he climbed the invisible ladder") was constantly saying the shot went over Dooms. That said, he was something else for what he could do...big frame, long arms, huge motor.

How could you not love this Guy?
Bob was just before my time. I listened to games on the radio then and invented a charting system to track the games. I never saw him play in person and in those days, I don’t remember them playing on TV.

They might have played a game or two on television but those were the dark days of sports television. I think NBC did a game a week and if we were lucky, we would play once or twice a year there. I think Bucky Waters and Marc Albert did the games back then.

He sounds like the type of player I would have loved to watch play. I missed Wadach too but I did see Mike Lee play at least one season. RIP Bob. Condolences to his friends and family.

TV hoops for Cuse back in the early 70s was usually TVS. Syracuse wasn't a name in hoops back then. If we were lucky you might get 1 or 2 regional broadcasts a season featuring Cuse. You hoped it was Marv Albert and Bucky Walters. There was usually two (IIRC) national games of the week. That was for UCLA, Notre Dame, Marquette, UK, Kansas, Some B1G teams...

I remember St John's was a huge power in the NE. We had tough, spirited games versus LaSalle, George Washington, Niagara, Canisius, Manhattan, Fordham, Pitt, WVU, and ofcourse we would play one or two holiday tournaments (where we would play schools around the nation)

The only national broadcast I remember was our NIT game on CBS vs Michigan in 1971.

I recall seeing him play at Colgate's small gymnasium. If I remember correctly, he played on a team with Rudy Hackett, Dennis Duvall and Mike Lee to name a few.. May have been coming off a nice run through the NCAAs the year before. If someone has a different recollection of that team, please post.

TV hoops for Cuse back in the early 70s was usually TVS. Syracuse wasn't a name in hoops back then. If we were lucky you might get 1 or 2 regional broadcasts a season featuring Cuse. You hoped it was Marv Albert and Bucky Walters. There was usually two (IIRC) national games of the week. That was for UCLA, Notre Dame, Marquette, UK, Kansas, Some B1G teams...

I remember St John's was a huge power in the NE. We had tough, spirited games versus LaSalle, George Washington, Niagara, Canisius, Manhattan, Fordham, Pitt, WVU, and ofcourse we would play one or two holiday tournaments (where we would play schools around the nation)

The only national broadcast I remember was our NIT game on CBS vs Michigan in 1971.
Wasn't there a Saturday afternoon ECAC game of the week carried in the northeast and Syracuse that SU was on occasionally?

Wasn't there a Saturday afternoon ECAC game of the week carried in the northeast and Syracuse that SU was on occasionally?
Yeah that was what I was referring to. It was produced by TVS. We started to get on it more regularly by the mid 70s as the program's stature grew.

I recall seeing him play at Colgate's small gymnasium. If I remember correctly, he played on a team with Rudy Hackett, Dennis Duvall and Mike Lee to name a few.. May have been coming off a nice run through the NCAAs the year before. If someone has a different recollection of that team, please post.
Went to a game there during which Dave Harmon (reserve who could leap sky high) left the bench to sit with the fans. Dave later popped his Achilles right in front of the Zoo.

Roys Runts. No starter over 6'5". Dooms, Wadach, Lee, Kohls and Duval with Chuck Wichman as the sixth man.
Kid Kohls. One of the best shooters to ever wear Orange. Lets not forget Tommy "Braintree" Stundis. Those were great days. Loved watching those teams. As a young kid when they started to warm up to dance to the music Manley would become Electric.

Kid Kohls. One of the best shooters to ever wear Orange. Lets not forget Tommy "Braintree" Stundis. Those were great days. Loved watching those teams. As a young kid when they started to warm up to dance to the music Manley would become Electric.

Kohl’s and Duval belong in the conversation of the best backcourts in Syracuse history.

Kohl’s and Duval belong in the conversation of the best backcourts in Syracuse history.
They were phenomenal. I would put Kid up against any shooter in the history of SU.

Actually it was “The Braintree Butcher”. Another Mareiness invention.

Those were Great days, sitting in the Zoo. The raised hardwood floor. It was nuts! Kids from my school
( Levy Jr. High) would buy one two dollar.
( That's right, $2.00 ) General Admission ticket and send one kid in to hit one of the many fire exit doors around the circumference of Manley and 15 more kids would rush in. LOL