R.I.P. UConn Football | Syracusefan.com

R.I.P. UConn Football

I commend UConn for making this decision. If they don’t drop football they should move to independent. Independent football plus Big East basketball is a much better fit for UConn than AAC all sports.

Doing the right thing. Dropping back down to 1aa.

Wow, ouch...

More likely, they’ll have to follow the UMass path as an independent, a dreary football existence that will leave them playing awful opponents in front of a few thousand people at home and collecting seven-figure checks for lopsided beatdowns on the road against schools they once dreamed of actually competing against.

UConn blew it big time. If they had joined up for BE football in 1990 when the conference first was getting its legs, they could have benefitted from the leap that conference took in the 90s. Yes, it would have meant that they would have had to pay their dues - just as their BBall program had to do in the early days of the BE basketball conference. But ultimately, by 2000, they would have been better off. Instead, they thumbed their noses at BE Football until the conference was established, then they felt like it success was owed to them. (And no other team in history has had the advantage of upgrading from 1AA directly into a BCS level conference.) By that time, conference expansion was on the table and the BE was vulnerable. The BE football conference never needed UConn, but if they had showed even a little vision they could have helped build football in the northeast.

They were part of the problem. I have no sympathy. I hope their football program dies an ugly death. And their football fans are , those that were on their board ten years ago.

Good riddance. Welcome back to 1aa. Have fun playing Holy Cross and Lehigh

Gonna miss that USF-UCONN "Civil Conflict" game they play every year (since 2013) for that dopey trophy that the schools physically lost 2 years ago and still can't find. Oh what has happened to traditions?!
UCF get it right ;)

Gonna miss that USF UCF-UCONN "Civil Conflict" game they play every year (since 2013) for that dopey trophy that the schools physically lost 2 years ago and still can't find. Oh what has happened to traditions?!

One of the goofiest forced things I´ve heard. Typical UConn. They thought this FB thing was going to naturally easy for them. Well because they are UConn and they had a shiny new stadium bought by the tax payers 45 mins from the campus.

Last edited:
Doing the right thing. Dropping back down to 1aa.
If I were on the UConn BOT, I'd want to drop down to Division II or III. FCS ball has the same cost as FBS ball except for fewer scholarships. Lower divisions, you save a ton of money and Title IX takes care of itself.

If I were on the UConn BOT, I'd want to drop down to Division II or III. FCS ball has the same cost as FBS ball except for fewer scholarships. Lower divisions, you save a ton of money and Title IX takes care of itself.
Plus, Randy Edsall has it in his contract that he gets a bonus if they drop a division.

Getting rid of football entirely saves $10 million so if anything goes, and they need to get back to break even quickly I imagine, that is low hanging fruit. Not sure how the other suggestion, dropping down, achieves savings but if it does then maybe that’s an option.

Umm. No.

There should be no life lines from Central New York. Let them play New Mexico State and Idaho.

I dont mind using Yukon as our G5 "kick the can" easy game. we can schedule another easy FCS and play 2 good P5's