Randall Cunningham with one playoff win on Eagle fans Mt Rushmore ahead of Donovan | Syracusefan.com

Randall Cunningham with one playoff win on Eagle fans Mt Rushmore ahead of Donovan

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/fans_put_wrong_philadelphia_ea.html

Donovan McNabb is one of the nicest athletes in SU history but seems to polarize people. A sports writer with the Washington Examiner writes this:

Donovan McNabb's advice to RGIII is not worth listening to

It's nuts...but I think time plays into it. Phils fans hated Mike Schmidt for a period of time. Eric Lindros is just now working his way back into their graces. What Eagles fans need (and I speak as a member of that tribe) is a horrible 5-10 year period to get some perspective. With time comes pragmatism...even among us looney Eagle fans.

It's nuts...but I think time plays into it. Phils fans hated Mike Schmidt for a period of time. Eric Lindros is just now working his way back into their graces. What Eagles fans need (and I speak as a member of that tribe) is a horrible 5-10 year period to get some perspective. With time comes pragmatism...even among us looney Eagle fans.
Or a swift kick to the junk to realize he was the best qb you ever had. Enjoy mike vick and his rehab from dog abuse. He still cant read a defense. McNabb will be a hall of famer later in his life IMO. with his numbers and wins he has to be. Others became HOF's with less credentials.

While McNabb should be on the Eagles Mt. Rushmore, I can't complain about Cunningham there must be a LOT of Eagles fans who used him as QB Eagles in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Watch this Cunningham play and remember he was a QB.

Agree with this. Also an Eagles fan. Everything changed for McNabb once the T.O. stuff happened. His entire persona, reputation, etc. was dragged in the mud (unecessarily, BTW, TO started everything). He could have done a few things differently, probably, but none of that stuff was his fault. TO ruined him. Before that he was very well liked.

Philly in general deals with competing forces of defiant arrogance which masks a thick underbelly of self hate. Permeates everything in the place. So of course they don't like McNabb despite his many accomplishments he never brought them to the promised land - an emotionally secure city would love the guy. Dad grew up in Radnor and I spent a couple of years there recently while my wife was in grad school - I actually really liked the city but that stuff runs deep there. McNabb was an elite quarterback who performed at a very high level for a very long time. He is also (or at least was when I had contact with him) a genuinely good guy. he deserves more respect from not only Eagles fans but our own fan base.

I think it is about expectations. I think they expected McNabb to deliver a Super Bowl and not so with Cunningham. Randal delivered wins that they were hungry for. Donovan didn't deliver the Super Bowl win they expected by then. So they are more frustrated and negative with McNabb. I also agree about the T.O. stuff too...but that's related to a Super Bowl win that wasn't. If he had won that one, all would be forgiven and he'd have his own Mt. Rushmore. I do think it's from emotions v. reason but that's not unusual with fans sometimes.

Agree with this. Also an Eagles fan. Everything changed for McNabb once the T.O. stuff happened. His entire persona, reputation, etc. was dragged in the mud (unecessarily, BTW, TO started everything). He could have done a few things differently, probably, but none of that stuff was his fault. TO ruined him. Before that he was very well liked.

As a fellow Eagle fan, I'd like to concur, You are 100% right. The dirty 30/WIP goofballs booing was NOT the majority from draft day. After season 2 and his games vs Washington where he juked Mark Carrier and the playoff run, he was basically what RG3 is to the skins fanbase now

Then the Tampa loss happened and he got some blame for the Barber INT, he got some of them back playing on a broken leg vs Arizona.. THEN the Super Bowl loss/puke...THEN the fans took TO's side in their feud and that was that. It didn't help that he was "Andy's boy" as Andy's popularity took a similar hit around the TO saga as well and that doubled up the #5 hate. It sucked. I hope when he's # is retired that the good times are remembered. It was a great run.

Or a swift kick to the junk to realize he was the best qb you ever had. Enjoy mike vick and his rehab from dog abuse. He still cant read a defense. McNabb will be a hall of famer later in his life IMO. with his numbers and wins he has to be. Others became HOF's with less credentials.
Full disclosure - loved McNabb at SU, rooted against the Iggs in every game he played (and still do - Go Big Blue!). He had some great wins (esp against the Giants), and put up some great numbers. Mike Francessa would call him a 'compliler' - long career, lots of yards/TD's/etc., but no ring. I'm not so sure he is a lock for the HOF. Vinny Testaverde has almost 10K more yards passing - I'm not sure we'll ever see him in the HOF. Drew Bledsoe 7K more. Dave Krieg (!!!!) has more career passing yards. Ditto for TD's. Esiason and Hadl have more TD's. They're not going to the HOF. I could go on. He had a very good career. Very good. But not HOF material, IMO.

But in response to the OP, yeah, I'd go with Donovan over Cunningham. Definitely.

Most Eagle fans are onion breathed, dirty sweat hogs though. So who cares what they think?

I loved Randall and Donovan as Eagle leaders--a far cry from their present dog-killing QB. That being said, I would go absolutely ga-ga to see Cunningham's son accept an offer from SU. I can only hope.

Full disclosure - loved McNabb at SU, rooted against the Iggs in every game he played (and still do - Go Big Blue!). He had some great wins (esp against the Giants), and put up some great numbers. Mike Francessa would call him a 'compliler' - long career, lots of yards/TD's/etc., but no ring. I'm not so sure he is a lock for the HOF. Vinny Testaverde has almost 10K more yards passing - I'm not sure we'll ever see him in the HOF. Drew Bledsoe 7K more. Dave Krieg (!!!!) has more career passing yards. Ditto for TD's. Esiason and Hadl have more TD's. They're not going to the HOF. I could go on. He had a very good career. Very good. But not HOF material, IMO.

But in response to the OP, yeah, I'd go with Donovan over Cunningham. Definitely.
So the true measurement for the hall is a ring...if that's the case are players such as Kurt Warner, Trent dilfer, are they deserving of HOF invites? With a good winning percentage and great stats I believe he will be alright but it'll be when he's old and gray nothing recent as for drew Bledsoe he didn't win much. He played on bad teams. Vinny won he's a guy that may sneak in after he's gone but he had a 4-3 playoff record so I don't know. What about a warren moon, Jim Kelly type players who never won the big game

Don't misinterpret what I was saying. I am not saying a ring is a prerequisite for HOF entry. But it sure helps. All I was trying to do was to point out that there are players that have better stats than #5 that will most likely not make it to the HOF. I think McNabb is marginal at best for the HOF. That's all.

Donovan McNabb didn't fail the Eagles. The Eagles failed Donovan McNabb.

This, 1000x. Look at who McNabb had (or rather, who he DIDN'T have) to work with. Really, people expected him to drag them to a Super Bowl with James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, and Freddie Mitchell? Yeah, he got there with TO, but people always seem to forget he didn't have TO for the playoffs until the Super Bowl, so once again he was doing it on his own (well, with the help of a good defense and Brian Westbrook in his prime).

It's the common refrain that I know Joe Namath says all the time, "Quarterbacks get too much credit for wins, and too much blame for losses." Absolutely the truth.

So the true measurement for the hall is a ring...if that's the case are players such as Kurt Warner, Trent dilfer, are they deserving of HOF invites? With a good winning percentage and great stats I believe he will be alright but it'll be when he's old and gray nothing recent as for drew Bledsoe he didn't win much. He played on bad teams. Vinny won he's a guy that may sneak in after he's gone but he had a 4-3 playoff record so I don't know. What about a warren moon, Jim Kelly type players who never won the big game

Warner - maybe...he was lighting up the league for a few years. And then he came back and did it again with the Cardinals.

Dilfer - no chance. He sucked.

Vinny - no chance. He was never an elite QB. For much of his career, he was a bad one. He had one great year with the Jets, and for most of his other 18 years or whatever he was bad-mediocre.

Bledsoe - No. Good QB. For maybe 3-4 years he was one of the better QB's. The rest of his career, he was OK to good. He wasn't one of the best for long enough.

Moon and Kelly are in as they should be.

McNabb should get strong consideration. I don't know why people are harping on something like total career passing yards. Guys who were average for a lomg time can rack up a ton of passing yards, who cares? TD to INT ratio is a more important stat, and McNabbs is very good. McNabb was one of the better QB's in football for quite awhile. I think he has a good argument as the 3rd best QB of the 00's decade.

Warner - maybe...he was lighting up the league for a few years. And then he came back and did it again with the Cardinals.

Dilfer - no chance. He sucked.

Vinny - no chance. He was never an elite QB. For much of his career, he was a bad one. He had one great year with the Jets, and for most of his other 18 years or whatever he was bad-mediocre.

Bledsoe - No. Good QB. For maybe 3-4 years he was one of the better QB's. The rest of his career, he was OK to good. He wasn't one of the best for long enough.

Moon and Kelly are in as they should be.

McNabb should get strong consideration. I don't know why people are harping on something like total career passing yards. Guys who were average for a lomg time can rack up a ton of passing yards, who cares? TD to INT ratio is a more important stat, and McNabbs is very good. McNabb was one of the better QB's in football for quite awhile. I think he has a good argument as the 3rd best QB of the 00's decade.
This is exactly my next point. Call me a homer but at the very least I feel mcnabb should get consideration for all he did for that franchise. I have no clue why their is so much hate towards him. I'm a Raiders fan I would've taken him in a heartbeat.

This is exactly my next point. Call me a homer but at the very least I feel mcnabb should get consideration for all he did for that franchise. I have no clue why their is so much hate towards him. I'm a Raiders fan I would've taken him in a heartbeat.
If this is aimed at me, several points.
  1. I have no hate for McNabb. None. Just rooted against him when he played for the Iggs. I'm a (Big) Blue blood.
  2. I didn't say he shouldn't get consideration for the HOF; he definitely should. The argument can be made for him. I just don't think he'll get in.
  3. Condolences on being a Raiders fan. ;)

If this is aimed at me, several points.
  1. I have no hate for McNabb. None. Just rooted against him when he played for the Iggs. I'm a (Big) Blue blood.
  2. I didn't say he shouldn't get consideration for the HOF; he definitely should. The argument can be made for him. I just don't think he'll get in.
  3. Condolences on being a Raiders fan. ;)
It was a general statement no direct "attack" all in good fun but thank you for the condolences. Lol it's rough right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom