Rank the past 4 #1 RB's for SU-All 1,000 yard rushers | Syracusefan.com

Rank the past 4 #1 RB's for SU-All 1,000 yard rushers

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Jerome Smith (though career obviously incomplete), Antwon Bailey, Delone Carter, Curtis Brinkley

I think #1 and #4 are clearcut. But #2 and #3 are interchangable.

1. Carter
2. Boonah
3. Mr. #44
4. Bailey

1. Boonah
2a. Carter
2b. Ant
4. Smith

1) Carter.....far and away the best rushing numbers out of this group

2) Bailey......almost identical rushing numbers as Brinkley, but much better receiving stats

3) Brinkley.....solid numbers for the era he was forced to play in

4) Smith......by default. Isn't really fair to compare him with the others at this point

I know we're all thinking about stats but one of Bailey's best attributes was blocking ability. And of course I love him for the big game he had at Notre Dame when Cuse won.

I know we're all thinking about stats but one of Bailey's best attributes was blocking ability. And of course I love him for the big game he had at Notre Dame when Cuse won.

Bailey also had an awesome block picking up a blitzing LB in the first Pinstripe Bowl as well. I think he had a similar block in the ND game as well.

Can I write in a vote for Walter Reyes as the clear-cut no. 1 out of this group? Loved watching him and think he was the most dangerous top back we've had until injuries as a senior.

1- Carter
2- Brinkley
3- Smith, but he could jump to 2 this year.
4- Bailey

Can I write in a vote for Walter Reyes as the clear-cut no. 1 out of this group? Loved watching him and think he was the most dangerous top back we've had until injuries as a senior.
I think the term "past 4" eliminates Reyes. I don't disagree with you though I'd have a hard time separating Reyes and Carter. The thing to remember about smith is he's already in this group and has 2 years of eligiblity left!

I think the term "past 4" eliminates Reyes. I don't disagree with you though I'd have a hard time separating Reyes and Carter. The thing to remember about smith is he's already in this group and has 2 years of eligiblity left!

I was never one for reading comprehension. My only holdup with Smith is that he's by far the slowest of that group. He makes senior year, sore hip Carter look like Slaton, IMO. That doesn't make him a bad back or keep him from being a great one, per se. He's still really quick and strong in the hole with good pad level that allows him to use his power (an area he should improve in as well). There were just times in the open field last year that I was pretty surprised at how slow he appeared to be.

I'd go:
1. Carter (pretty clear)
2. Brinkley (tough call b/c his career really boils down to one good year, but I'm going with him b/c it's remarkable that in GRob's offense we remember anyone fondly)
3. Bailey (gotta give him credit for being a really good back for four years -- he's pretty close to brinkley. not quite as much style/vision.)
4. Smith -- two more years and it will be interesting to watch. Another 1,000-yard campaign on a solid team this year might bump him up a spot or two.

Bailey also had an awesome block picking up a blitzing LB in the first Pinstripe Bowl as well. I think he had a similar block in the ND game as well.
There is an awesome picture of that block in the Pinstripe Bowl. Didn't that lead to a TD?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is an awesome picture of that block in the Pinstripe Bowl. Didn't that lead to a TD?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
RyanNassibNewEraPinstripeBowlKansasQBD3u6oKBhNl_display_image.jpg

If you judge by biceps, Carter rounds out a 1 and 2, dude had cannons. Probably bigger than both Bailey and Brinkley combined.
On another note, anyone see Smith's massive quads at the spring game? I expect him to be a workhorse and put up solid numbers. Who needs elite breakaway if you can average 7 yards a carry with 3 guys on your back.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Who needs elite breakaway if you can average 7 yards a carry with 3 guys on your back.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
It won't hurt that his backups PTG & Morris both have breakaway speed. If our line is decent Smith should go for 1000-1200, PTG 700-800 and Morris maybe 300-400 if McDonald uses them all. Everything I hear about Morris leads me to believe he's going to get touches. 3 Fresh RB's could really pay some 4th Quarter dividends this year.

One thing about Bailey...as a #1 RB, carry it 25 times type of guy I think he was clearly the worst out of those 4. That just wasn't what he was built for, ideally.

But he was also probably the most versatile and complete all around back out of those 4.

He was at his best in 2010, where Carter was the workhorse and Bailey the jack of all trades. They made for a great RB combo that season.

It's really tough to rank Brinkley vs the others because he played on decidedly lessor teams and may have been the best all around with any sort of supporting cast. It's also tough to rate Smith until his career is done.

At this point I would go:

DC3
Boonah
Smith
Bailey