ranked too low in early projected top 25? | Syracusefan.com

ranked too low in early projected top 25?

cuseclappy

Winner 2016 SU Football Season Prediction Contest
according to fran fraschilla we are:

No. 12 Syracuse Orange: Too low

With four of its six top scorers departing, it would appear as though Syracuse will be facing a major rebuilding job this season. However, the Orange are still loaded with top-10 talent, in my opinion. Six-five point guard Michael Carter-Williams is ready to step out of the shadows and into stardom. He'll team with seniorBrandon Triche and 6-4 sniper Trevor Cooney, a top-50 recruit who redshirted this past season.C.J. Fair will anchor a front line that will include a talented incoming freshman scorer in Jerami Grant, and improving sophomore center Rakeem Christmas.

I wouldn’t say that an early pre-season ranking of 12 is too low for us. I think that reasonable arguments could be made for us to be anywhere between 10 and 20. Although I think we can be top 5 by seasons end, the losses of Scoop, KJ, Waiters and Melo can’t be ignored nor easily replaced. So, any success of next year’s team is based largely on speculation.

a. Triche should become more assertive and more vocal.
b. MCW can be a top 10 PG, bring intensity to both ends and become a team leader.
c. Cooney could be a deadly, 3-pt. shooting nightmare.
d. Christmas might take it to the next level and use his gifts to dominate (although he won’t be playing center).
e. Keita could take the next step and become the defensive force we’ve been expecting.
f. Coleman may be ready to make an immediate contribution or possibly even dominate down low.
g. Dirty should be prepared for a more prolific role and be much more consistent.

The one guy that we already know what to expect from is Fair. With Waiters gone, he is the best pure athlete remaining on the team and I look forward to a phenomenal, break-out season from him. Moomoo will be tucked behind Rak, CJ and JS and will spend much of his freshman year on the bench. Mookie will be Mookie with a few garbage minutes in an emergency backup role.

Since I believe that the individuals will achieve the items I’ve listed, I see them becoming a better, more well-rounded team than this past year’s and being a legitimate threat to win a NC. But until some of these things play out on the court, it seems that a #12 ranking is quite fair if not a little generous.

I'm fine with going in somewhere around top 15. Gives us somewhere to go without crazy expectations that guys in new roles aren't ready for.

Of the "way too early" top-25's I've seen so far, ESPN had us the lowest. CBS has us at #7. Basically I think we're starting to get a little spoiled around here. We have the talent to be pretty good again, I still don't know if we have the one elite player that can carry us when things bog down but we're going to be putting 7 or 8 guys on the court that can score 20+ points on any given night, and that's a recipe that has worked in the not too recent past. ;)

since polls are meaningless in college hoops

http://images.wikia.com/evchk/images/b/b1/Who-in-cares.jpg

Instead of looking at what SU is losing they should be looking at what SU will have and compare that.

A lineup of known players of Sr BT, Sophomore MCW (little used but MCW behind Srs), Jr CJ, Sr Dirty, and JR BMK/So Rak as a starting point is more than decent.
Add in a McD in DC2 at center and then compare to other teams.

Seems like there is enough there to be top 10 but it depends on what the competitors have coming back.

Of the "way too early" top-25's I've seen so far, ESPN had us the lowest. CBS has us at #7. Basically I think we're starting to get a little spoiled around here. We have the talent to be pretty good again, I still don't know if we have the one elite player that can carry us when things bog down but we're going to be putting 7 or 8 guys on the court that can score 20+ points on any given night, and that's a recipe that has worked in the not too recent past. ;)

We might, we don't know. MCW could be that guy, Coleman could be, Southie, Triche, hell, maybe even Cooney if his 3 pt shooting is THAT deadly.

It's an inexperienced young team. It will take time and to grow and come together. I would like to see them start about 20 and claw their way up to 8 to 6 at tournament time. I think this might be a realistic hope for next year.

don't sleep on Grant...he has a comparison to KJ...and I believe as smooth as CJ with better hops...and isnt he a tad larger...this coming season team can be better than last years...maybe losing a couple more games early; but I believe we get through the Elite 8 and have a very good oppty of winning the NC.

I don't think the ranking is that bad, my issue is with some of the other teams who are losing a lot more than we are, yet are getting ranked ridiculously high (ahem, Kansas).

I think a 10-15 ranking is perfect, MCW has already stated he feels disrespected about it which is perfect give these guys something to prove