Ranking the top freshmen in the ACC | Syracusefan.com

Ranking the top freshmen in the ACC

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

4. Four-star G Judah Mintz (Syracuse)
Height/Weight: 6-3/175
School: Mouth of Wilson (VA) Oak Hill
On3 Consensus: No. 49

While Joe Girard has one guard spot locked up, the other guard spot is open. Judah Mintz slots right into that position as a seamless compliment beside Girard. Mintz is a paint touch guard who aggressively plays at the point of attack on both ends. Word out of Syracuse is there may be more man-to-man played this season, and Mintz is the perfect player to usher in that look.

With his all-out style of play, Mintz could quickly become a fan favorite.

FWIW, I played pickup with Malik Zachery’s dad this week. He said Malik was in town and played pickup with Judah, said that Malik told him Judah was the real deal, and he thinks Judah is going to dominate this year. Hopefully that comes to fruition.

Call me crazy (and some do), but I think there's gonna be legit man defense throughout the season, not just against cupcakes in the NC. I'm not saying SU abandons the zone, but with the perceived athleticism on this season's roster, I could see a good amount of man.

Call me crazy (and some do), but I think there's gonna be legit man defense throughout the season
1660519672871.gif

Call me crazy (and some do), but I think there's gonna be legit man defense throughout the season, not just against cupcakes in the NC. I'm not saying SU abandons the zone, but with the perceived athleticism on this season's roster, I could see a good amount of man.
You are crazy.

4. Four-star G Judah Mintz (Syracuse)
Height/Weight: 6-3/175
School: Mouth of Wilson (VA) Oak Hill
On3 Consensus: No. 49

While Joe Girard has one guard spot locked up, the other guard spot is open. Judah Mintz slots right into that position as a seamless compliment beside Girard. Mintz is a paint touch guard who aggressively plays at the point of attack on both ends. Word out of Syracuse is there may be more man-to-man played this season, and Mintz is the perfect player to usher in that look.

With his all-out style of play, Mintz could quickly become a fan favorite.
A “paint touch guard”?

I don’t like that phrase.

Listen, I do this each year as well.

I'm 42. I have a master's degree (go iSchool!), think of myself as reasonably well-educated and intelligent (even tho some may disagree after reading my posts here, to be fair) and I will convince myself each year of two things regarding Cuse Sports:

Football team can win 12 games.
Basketball team will play M2M defense at times.

You can imagine how I view myself after each season upon convincing myself that both of those things could have happened. I'll take the fact that we went 1-3-1 as a huge win last year.

Well said. I'm 44 (dig the number, right?) and went to Newhouse, although I don't pretend to be smart at all. I think football can go 6-6, and based on this year's roster, and what JB has said, I COULD see a little man this year. I agree about 1-3-1 a season ago. Go Orange!! :)

I don’t think JB is a burned out hulk of a dinosaur like most here do, but even I know it is lunacy to think he’s about to break out a man defense in any situation short of alien attack and it’s the only way to save the globe from total destruction. Even then he probably wouldn’t do it if the aliens are under 5’8”.

Yup...more athleticism on CUSE roster this year. But m2m...?
I kind of doubt. Joe G. would be a liability due to size and Jesse,
I believe, will still be somewhat foul prone.
JB's 2-3 needs to be learned..it's intricate to a point and the rotations
take a half season or so for the incoming freshmen to absorb.
But the athleticism, sorely missed last year, will be present in 2022/23.
With Mintz and Torrence driving, CUSE will look to run, and trap and press
more than any team in 3 years.

Listen, I do this each year as well.

I'm 42. I have a master's degree (go iSchool!), think of myself as reasonably well-educated and intelligent (even tho some may disagree after reading my posts here, to be fair) and I will convince myself each year of two things regarding Cuse Sports:

Football team can win 12 games.
Basketball team will play M2M defense at times.

You can imagine how I view myself after each season upon convincing myself that both of those things could have happened. I'll take the fact that we went 1-3-1 as a huge win last year.
Goes to show, even (self proclaimed) smart guys can have serious blind spots.

I have my own, I'm sure, but I'll kill a man for pointing them out. ;)

Not that it matters at all, but we never played a 1-3-1 last year. I also understand that it is dopey to keep pointing that out. I guess the old coach in me never dies.

FWIW 2 - I am convinced that JB is going to play some man this season. Whether enough practice time is devoted to playing it well is a different issue.

FWIW 3 - the belief that previous teams weren't "athletic enough" to play man is, and always was, BS.

Not that it matters at all, but we never played a 1-3-1 last year. I also understand that it is dopey to keep pointing that out. I guess the old coach in me never dies.

FWIW 2 - I am convinced that JB is going to play some man this season. Whether enough practice time is devoted to playing it well is a different issue.

FWIW 3 - the belief that previous teams weren't "athletic enough" to play man is, and always was, BS.
I agree. I think we will see some man defense. He knows some teams just kill the zone and are rather mortal against man to man. I think he also realized a little bit of junk defense can work from time to time. Just changing up can disrupt a teams offensive flow. Look what it did against Duke in the ACC tournament. JB has athletic pieces to work with which will automatically make the zone better.

Reactions: 007

I mean last year's team surely would've been eaten up playing man. They were eaten up playing zone as well, but Joe, Buddy and Swider could not have stayed in front of a tortoise

I mean last year's team surely would've been eaten up playing man. They were eaten up playing zone as well, but Joe, Buddy and Swider could not have stayed in front of a tortoise
Yup. All the athletic guys off a sweet 16 team up and left.

Really frustrating turn of events. We would’ve been positioned to be good last year.

That's not true. A tortoise would have been an even matchup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom