Rasheed Williams | Syracusefan.com

Rasheed Williams

kcsu

Living Legend
I was checking out Nassau and noticed that a rb out of NJ Rasheed Williams is tearing up the league. Kid plays for Louisberg and has the size and speed we could use does anyone know anything about him or any other prospects we may be pursuing from that league?

I was checking out Nassau and noticed that a rb out of NJ Rasheed Williams is tearing up the league. Kid plays for Louisberg and has the size and speed we could use does anyone know anything about him or any other prospects we may be pursuing from that league?

Oh Lord

Bnoro - why is that question a head shaker? Is it the suggestion that SU could use some juco help next year?
It's the repeated postings about how we are going to suck if we don't get a JUCO stud running back, combined with the fact we are still in it for Akeel Lynch and possibly David Perkins. I'd much rather have a stud freshman than JUCO, and prefer to see us not recruit JUCO players.

Tiller Hay Diet tab all seem to have worked out pretty well. What is your issue with using Jucos in a limited capacity to shore up positions of need?

Tiller Hay Diet tab all seem to have worked out pretty well. What is your issue with using Jucos in a limited capacity to shore up positions of need?

Because we need to build up depth and in the fourth recruiting cycle of the Marrone era, shoring up positions of need with JUCO players just isn't going to cut it.

there is always room for one or two jucos each class

K. State had room for 30+. Worked out for them.

Because we need to build up depth and in the fourth recruiting cycle of the Marrone era, shoring up positions of need with JUCO players just isn't going to cut it.
if they're positions of need, then how is bringing in a freshman instead of a more physically ready to play juco player not cutting it?

hell, when SU was pursuing some very good juco players the past few years, those kids also ended up with offers from schools like Oklahoma, Miami, Florida State, UCLA, Ariz St, etc, etc. - so SU is somehow above bringing in junior college kids? that's just dumb.

I for one am REALLY hoping that Wayne Williams goes to SU after he's done at junior college - to help shore up what will always be a position of need.

It's the repeated postings about how we are going to suck if we don't get a JUCO stud running back, combined with the fact we are still in it for Akeel Lynch and possibly David Perkins. I'd much rather have a stud freshman than JUCO, and prefer to see us not recruit JUCO players.

? Fisher has been great on special teams, and in DB mix, Tiller and Hay are starters. Ball has been a key back up /sometimes starter for 3 years...

Agreed - much more upside potential to get quality freshman than JUCOs.

Agreed - much more upside potential to get quality freshman than JUCOs.
so SU should not even look at the juco players then - which is what the OP asked about - Syracuse should assume that they'll get one of the very highly sought after kids who have already picked other schools over SU once and if they don't sign then aww shucks?

just thinking about all those quality freshmen WRs SU could've brought to campus instead of Taj Smith - that lousy juco punk :rolleyes:

Syracuse will continue to recruit at Nassau CC, Anselmo is way to dialed in there and they have some good talent..

All depends on what their evaluation is of the RB's in house by the guys who actually see them every day.

I don't understand why this would be an all or nothing type scenario. If a juco kid is really good you offer. If a freshman is really good you offer. Do I prefer a freshman when all things are equal, yes. Marrone and his staff have to evaluate what they think is going to be the best player and take into consideration 2 years or 4 and levels of physical maturity.

It's not like we're anywhere close to being the favorites for Lynch or Perkins.

Syracuse will continue to recruit at Nassau CC, Anselmo is way to dialed in there and they have some good talent..

Agree, you indentify the best kids that fill out upperclass holes in positions based on misses, injuries, and departures.

Agree, you indentify the best kids that fill out upperclass holes in positions based on misses, injuries, and departures.
Yep. I don't think SU should ever not recruit JUCO's. That's foolish. You want to build depth with frosh who have potentially a higher ceiling than JUCO recruits over 4 years, but you need JUCO's to fill in gaps and there will be gaps.

Our Nassau WR who didnt qualify- Deffer. Davis. Anyone know where he ended up? I didnt find him on a roster anywhere.

idk but he probably would have been playing this year had he made it

Davis is listed at Houston in the Nassau CC football page of recent recruits. But he isn't on the roster by the looks of it.

As far as JUCO players, I am not a huge fan. That doesn't mean you ignore it, but I don't like just going out and trying to find random JUCOs. You just don't know what you are going to get from them. Now, I do like the idea of keeping tabs on a former target (Wayne Williams), and building a pipeline with a school like Nassau, so you can get a lot of firsthand information on the players and grab one that might fit a very specific role with the team (Diabate).

I might change this stance if we get to the level where we can compete for the country's top-JUCO player at their position, but until then, lets use those scholarships on developmental frames and athleticism.

For what it's worth, I do think that landing that Bryan Johnson guy from Nassau could be a good move. Him and Micah could have a very good battle for Stache's spot.

if they're positions of need, then how is bringing in a freshman instead of a more physically ready to play juco player not cutting it?

hell, when SU was pursuing some very good juco players the past few years, those kids also ended up with offers from schools like Oklahoma, Miami, Florida State, UCLA, Ariz St, etc, etc. - so SU is somehow above bringing in junior college kids? that's just dumb.

I for one am REALLY hoping that Wayne Williams goes to SU after he's done at junior college - to help shore up what will always be a position of need.

Not saying we shouldn't take one once in a while, but if we have other options at RB that have better potential, why not get them for 4-5 years than 2. Especially in this class where we are down to limited scholies.

Not saying we shouldn't take one once in a while, but if we have other options at RB that have better potential, why not get them for 4-5 years than 2. Especially in this class where we are down to limited scholies.

I mostly agree with you on this topic, the one caveat is that if Marrone truly believes that our recruiting is about to take a big bounce upward, then bringing in a lot of guys who can help us right away, AND will be out the door to make room for better commits once the sophomore and junior targets start coming of age, could be seen as a huge win-win. Just playin devil's advocate on that one.

I agree with you if we had landed some solid HS kids. The fact is we dont have any proven RB's on the roster for next year not one. Gulley has been hurt most of his time here and hasnt proven himself at all. Smith and Moore have potential. Renee and Tull are D2 kids. Devonte may not stick with us and even if he does he isnt coming in as a true RB so he is a project. Smallwood most likely wont make it because of issues and at best is a situational back. The bottom line is we are in deep at the RB position and if we could land a proven player out of the Juco ranks why wouldnt we?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom