Class of 2019 - RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

Goin' waaay back on this one, but Tony Dorsett at Pitt? That's who he reminds me of, and no I'm not saying he's " Heisman Trophy winner Dorsett" good, but his style tho'...
Tony Dorsett did not have elite speed; he was a great running back at Pitt and Dallas and his cutting ability, use of his blockers and field vision were his assets; not his speed. Not trying to pick a fight here. I hope that Jawhar has those other attributes to go with his elite speed.

It's really funny you say that because I'll never forget watching that Oregon team play with my dad and James was impossible to tackle. His quote was "if Syracuse had players like that I'd watch them more often." I can only hope Jordan turns out anywhere near as electric as James was. Another comp from the highlight tapes for me was Noel Devine.

It's really funny you say that because I'll never forget watching that Oregon team play with my dad and James was impossible to tackle. His quote was "if Syracuse had players like that I'd watch them more often." I can only hope Jordan turns out anywhere near as electric as James was. Another comp from the highlight tapes for me was Noel Devine.
Yeah, and to be clear. I'm not saying he's going to win the Doak Walker or be a high draft pic, just that his stature and speed are very similar. 100 m times are very close, and I assume they were laser timed for both.

Tony Dorsett did not have elite speed; he was a great running back at Pitt and Dallas and his cutting ability, use of his blockers and field vision were his assets; not his speed. Not trying to pick a fight here. I hope that Jawhar has those other attributes to go with his elite speed.
Yeah, Dorsett wasn't a speed demon but as you mentioned, he was extremely good at field vision, cutting, and using his blockers. In this latest video especially, JJ showed glimpses of those attributes but even better, he has that extra turbo-boost to break free when he sees an opening. Sky's the limit for this kid.

Actually, Tony Dorsett had blazing speed: 4.3/4.4 range.

Per Encyclopedia.com: "At the age of thirty-four, when Dorsett joined the Broncos, he could still run forty yards in 4.3 seconds. According to the Pro Football Hall of Fame's tribute to Dorsett, "[He] was a player who had it all … the swift, smooth strides; the sharp, crisp cuts; the uncanny knack of finding daylight in the chaos along the line of scrimmage. Every time he touched a football, opponents shuddered. He turned small gainers into big gainers and routine plays into touchdowns." In 1994 Dorsett, in his first year of eligibility, was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

But I do agree that young Mr. Jordan has a Dorsett-like stride and gait, which is one hell of a compliment because TD33 had one of the "prettiest" running styles of all time.

Last edited:
Actually, Tony Dorsett had blazing speed: 4.3/4.4 range.

Per Encyclopedia.com: "At the age of thirty-four, when Dorsett joined the Broncos, he could still run forty yards in 4.3 seconds. According to the Pro Football Hall of Fame's tribute to Dorsett, "[He] was a player who had it all … the swift, smooth strides; the sharp, crisp cuts; the uncanny knack of finding daylight in the chaos along the line of scrimmage. Every time he touched a football, opponents shuddered. He turned small gainers into big gainers and routine plays into touchdowns." In 1994 Dorsett, in his first year of eligibility, was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

But I do agree that young Mr. Jordan has a Dorsett-like stride and gait, which is one hell of a compliment because TD33 had one of the "prettiest" running styles of all time.
Dorsett ran in the 10's for the 100 so i would just ignore the not great speed quotes. He was fast

Dorsett ran in the 10's for the 100 so i would just ignore the not great speed quotes. He was fast
Yeah, I was a big Dorsett fan as a kid. He was speed and agility personified. Only the legendary Darrell Green aka "The Fastest DB Ever Not Named Deion" ever caught him from behind.

Reactions: CIL
Shelby Hill was from Arizona and it would be fantastic if this young man were to have as good or better career at SU.

Yeah, Dorsett wasn't a speed demon but as you mentioned, he was extremely good at field vision, cutting, and using his blockers. In this latest video especially, JJ showed glimpses of those attributes but even better, he has that extra turbo-boost to break free when he sees an opening. Sky's the limit for this kid.

Not sure what you call elite speed but Dorsett ran a 9.4 100 yd dash and a 4.38 40 in the NFL, and is widely considered one of the fastest backs to play in the NFL. It took Darrell Green almost 70 yds to run him down and there hasn't been a man to play that green couldn't run down. Excepting may be Bob Hayes.

Not sure what you call elite speed but Dorsett ran a 9.4 100 yd dash and a 4.38 40 in the NFL, and is widely considered one of the fastest backs to play in the NFL. It took Darrell Green almost 70 yds to run him down and there hasn't been a man to play that green couldn't run down. Excepting may be Bob Hayes.

There's a video out here somewhere of Dorsett beating Hayes in a race.

Jawhar does remind me of TD. If he could accomplish just half of what Dorsett did, I'm sure everyone would be pleased.

ok, back to Jawhar Jordan.
Love seeing those jump cuts, and quick feet. I only wish that he was playing this year. If our o line isn't going to create running lanes and open holes vs. a bad FCS d line, it would be great to have a back that can create his own lanes.

ok, back to Jawhar Jordan.
Love seeing those jump cuts, and quick feet. I only wish that he was playing this year. If our o line isn't going to create running lanes and open holes vs. a bad FCS d line, it would be great to have a back that can create his own lanes.

The oline opens enough holes, the current starter has no vision, or cutback ability and is not a good rb. The kids coming plus Pierre will change that.

I think I saw as many holes as D.S. saw on Friday. Not many. Hope you're right though. For this offense to take that next step, they're going to have to get something going in the running game. If not, it will look a lot like last years offense.

The oline opens enough holes, the current starter has no vision, or cutback ability and is not a good rb. The kids coming plus Pierre will change that.
I agree with this ^ . Me and my buddy, from our vantage point, said multiple times...why didn't he cut left or right. As mentioned by Phat, Pierre was seemingly the only back with the ability to bounce it out when the box was full. Look for him to increase time as season progresses.

I agree with this ^ . Me and my buddy, from our vantage point, said multiple times...why didn't he cut left or right. As mentioned by Phat, Pierre was seemingly the only back with the ability to bounce it out when the box was full. Look for him to increase time as season progresses.

Update - Jawhar Jordan’s season so far:

Followed Jawhar from the commit…he’s started already. Dino and staff have gotten us someone truly special. This from az central sports:

Jawhar Jordan, Hamilton Huskies top Boulder Creek in opener

Howard Schlossberg, Special for azcentral sports Published 11:44 p.m. MT Aug. 18, 2017 | Updated 9:44 p.m. MT Aug. 19, 2017

What happened in the game

For the Hamilton Huskies, Jawhar Jordan rules. And runs. And breaks ankles. And slips tackles. And turns 5-yard gainers into 25-yarders.

He did it all game Friday night for 6th-ranked Hamilton, leading the Huskies to a 42-28 season-opening win over a host Boulder Creek team that did not go quietly.

Standout performer

Jawhar Jordan, Hamilton.

His 57-yard second-quarter gallop got Hamilton out of poor field position and set up his own 1-yard scamper for a score that gave Hamilton the lead for good in the second quarter.

And after Taylor Fragale recovered a Boulder Creek fumble, Jordan somehow slipped his 5-foot-11, 185-pound frame through Boulder Creek's defense on quarterback Tyler Shough's perfect screen pass execution for the TD that made it 21-7 at the half.

Stats through 2 games:

gp – 2

car – 26

yds – 298

avg – 11.5

y/g – 149.0

lng – 58

td - 5

If you remember, he runs a 4.37/40. Saw some tape of his last game. His acceleration and cuts are amazing…so fast and quick he’s hard to follow and obviously to catch. He is now 5’11 - 185. Can’t wait til he arrives next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update - Jawhar Jordan’s season so far:

Followed Jawhar from the commit…he’s started already. Dino and staff have gotten us someone truly special. This from az central sports:

Jawhar Jordan, Hamilton Huskies top Boulder Creek in opener

Howard Schlossberg, Special for azcentral sports Published 11:44 p.m. MT Aug. 18, 2017 | Updated 9:44 p.m. MT Aug. 19, 2017

What happened in the game

For the Hamilton Huskies, Jawhar Jordan rules. And runs. And breaks ankles. And slips tackles. And turns 5-yard gainers into 25-yarders.

He did it all game Friday night for 6th-ranked Hamilton, leading the Huskies to a 42-28 season-opening win over a host Boulder Creek team that did not go quietly.

Standout performer

Jawhar Jordan, Hamilton.

His 57-yard second-quarter gallop got Hamilton out of poor field position and set up his own 1-yard scamper for a score that gave Hamilton the lead for good in the second quarter.

And after Taylor Fragale recovered a Boulder Creek fumble, Jordan somehow slipped his 5-foot-11, 185-pound frame through Boulder Creek's defense on quarterback Tyler Shough's perfect screen pass execution for the TD that made it 21-7 at the half.

Stats through 2 games:

gp – 2

car – 26

yds – 298

avg – 11.5

y/g – 149.0

lng – 58

td - 5

If you remember he runs a 4.37/40. Saw some tape of his last game. His acceleration and cuts are amazing…so fast and quick he’s hard to follow and obviously to catch. He is now 5’11 - 185. Can’t wait til he arrives next year.
Excited, yes. (But, he is 5'11" like AJ Long was 6'2")

Anybody see Nyheim Hines for NC State? I'm hoping Jordan is our version of him. He's running track for NC State and has run a wind aided best of 10.34 and 10.42. Looks like his best without wind (within the acceptable limit) is 10.49.