Class of 2020 - RB Marlowe Wax Jr (MD) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (4/14/19) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 RB Marlowe Wax Jr (MD) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (4/14/19)

Gotta agree was never that impressed with wax . At the end of the day tho I trust the coaches

I'll be everyone's punching bag. We need more types of opinions on this board. Not less. While its fine to be the type of fan to 'trust the coaches', everything is fine, every player is great. We shouldn't rebuke and persecute those who use critical thought on how we can get better and how to do that. Having single minded thought police benefits no one. No one's a better fan than the next guy.

More so I trust the coaches word, so if those in the know say he was recruited as RB than I trust Babers and Co to always keep their word and equally have the players well being in mind.

That said, varying opinions are always welcome. More times than not in life i'm a contrarian but on this board we're all sipping the same colour kool-aid and for the first time in decades we seem to have the recipe correct.

More so I trust the coaches word, so if those in the know say he was recruited as RB than I trust Babers to keep their word and always have the players well being in mind.

That said, varying opinions are always welcome. More times than not in life i'm a contrarian but on this board we're all sipping the same colour kool-aid and for the first time in decades we seem to have the recipe correct.

“Recruited as” and “plays as” are 2 different things.

Example: Stritz was “recruited as” a RB.
Everybody else wanted him as a S.
We said we’d give him a shot at RB.
And we did.
Which is a big part of why we got him.

Now he plays as a DB.
There was no subterfuge or double dealing.
That’s just how it worked out.

But - you recruit the best, most talented athletes you can, and let it shake out who plays and where after they’re here.

More so I trust the coaches word, so if those in the know say he was recruited as RB than I trust Babers and Co to always keep their word and equally have the players well being in mind.

I agree. Dino Babers is doing so many great things I also may slip into the nothing is wrong crowd...Just not yet. I remember back in the 80's I would get all the recruiting magazines and sit down and list out on a piece of paper all the recruits considering SU and then pick and choose who I wanted. Became alot easier and more accurate when video came to the internet.

I would much rather have Israel A. and E. Dennis and a few others. To each his own.
I think Dennis looks more like a slot in our system (prob could play db as well) so pretty sure this commit does not affect that. Israel A is more of a rb but he has a lot of position flexibility so could still be game as well as an athlete.

“Recruited as” and “plays as” are 2 different things.

Example: Stritz was “recruited as” a RB.
Everybody else wanted him as a S.
We said we’d give him a shot at RB.
And we did.
Which is a big part of why we got him.

Now he plays as a DB.
There was no subterfuge or double dealing.
That’s just how it worked out.

But - you recruit the best, most talented athletes you can, and let it shake out who plays and where after they’re here.

Bingo. BPA will play, nice to have competition everywhere finally.

Players get recruited for a position often and once entering the program as things shake out they can get switched. Sometimes it’s best for them and sometimes it’s best for the program, and at Syracuse historically it’s been more common probably because we’re not a factory school. We don’t and have never really had the luxury of just pushing talent out of the program because of lack of fit. Really since the late 80’s we’ve primarily been a program that relies more on developing talent than being stockpiled with elite blue chips. Although we’ve had our share of those no doubt.

Hell, we’ve had multiple NFLers that played a position eventually at Syracuse and in the NFL that they weren’t primarily recruited for. So switching positions isn’t necessarily a bad thing for the player and it doesn’t necessarily indicate deception or require deception on the part of a coaching staff. And there’s a big difference between baiting and switching a player and acknowledging that a player is an athlete capable of playing multiple positions. A player being versatile is better for the player anyway when you consider how difficult it gets as you progress up the chain based on roster sizes and, with the NFL, opportunities in general.

Players get recruited for a position often and once entering the program as things shake out they can get switched. Sometimes it’s best for them and sometimes it’s best for the program, and at Syracuse historically it’s been more common probably because we’re not a factory school. We don’t and have never really had the luxury of just pushing talent out of the program because of lack of fit. Really since the late 80’s we’ve primarily been a program that relies more on developing talent than being stockpiled with elite blue chips. Although we’ve had our share of those no doubt.

Hell, we’ve had multiple NFLers that played a position eventually at Syracuse and in the NFL that they weren’t primarily recruited for. So switching positions isn’t necessarily a bad thing for the player and it doesn’t necessarily indicate deception or require deception on the part of a coaching staff. And there’s a big difference between baiting and switching a player and acknowledging that a player is an athlete capable of playing multiple positions. A player being versatile is better for the player anyway when you consider how difficult it gets as you progress up the chain based on roster sizes and, with the NFL, opportunities in general.
Exactly

Kevin Johnson is one instance that is well known

Wasn't Dwight Freeney originally a S prospect?

Exactly

I believe Melvin Tuten was recruited as a TE.

Exactly

Kevin Johnson
Kevin Mitchell
Art Monk
Dee Brown
Cooper Gardiner
Tebucky Jones
Keith Bullock (I think)

A few that come immediately to
Mind.

Wax was one of our first offers at RB, which shows you how highly the staff rates him.

Dennis is being recruited as an ATH and would probably play D here.

Well he may play RB, but right now we are pretty loaded there. He has a much better chance to play at LB, in any case the staff wanting him only indicates they think highly of his athletic ability, and does not indicate a particular position. Loading up with great athletic potential is the primary goal right now, short of getting that rare phenom at a particular position, which I am pretty sure Wax is not.

Well he may play RB, but right now we are pretty loaded there. He has a much better chance to play at LB, in any case the staff wanting him only indicates they think highly of his athletic ability, and does not indicate a particular position. Loading up with great athletic potential is the primary goal right now, short of getting that rare phenom at a particular position, which I am pretty sure Wax is not.
How does he have a much better chance to play at LB? We have been playing with 2 LBs for a few seasons now, and have sophomores Wallace/Richards/Allison/Trotter as well as true freshmen Cantin/Jones/Kpogba.

How does he have a much better chance to play at LB? We have been playing with 2 LBs for a few seasons now, and have sophomores Wallace/Richards/Allison/Trotter as well as true freshmen Cantin/Jones/Kpogba.
Yes. This. This kid looks like a VERY good running back. Not sure where all this is coming from. If Pitt recruited him at RB, then that tells you all you need to know

How does he have a better chance at RB, we have Moe, Jarveon, Abdul, and jawdrop Jordan? They will all have more experience than him. The LB not quite so much. You may have conveniently forgot my first statement was he may be an RB, there is just no guarantee of that. Oh and by the way most of the time our offense operates with a single RB, last I checked two is more than one and if we have more players capable at LB we probably play three.
Object of recruiting is get the best you can get and plug them in as the team needs, just so happens that usually the most athletically talented on any HS teams are usually at RB and QB. Sometimes they stick sometimes they move.

Last edited:
How does he have a better chance at RB, we have Moe, Jarveon, Abdul, and jawdrop Jordan? They will all have more experience than him. The LB not quite so much. You may have conveniently forgot my first statement was he may be an RB, there is just no guarantee of that. Oh and by the way most of the time our offense operates with a single RB, last I checked two is more than one and if we have more players capable at LB we probably play three.
Object of recruiting is get the best you can get and plug them in as the team needs, just so happens that usually the most athletically talented on any HS teams are usually at RB and QB. Sometimes they stick sometimes they move.

Because when he arrives, Moe will already be gone and Abdul will be a senior. He'll redshirt, spacing himself out another year from Howard. So the depth chart won't be as full when he's a RF or a third year sophomore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom