Class of 2018 - RB Stevie Scott III (NY) Decommitted from Rutgers/Verbal to Indiana | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 RB Stevie Scott III (NY) Decommitted from Rutgers/Verbal to Indiana

Fully expect the SEC/B1G to come knocking this fall. We should all find it very encouraging that this kid's already made it obvious that he cherishes the ability to play at home though. Definitely have a great shot here, but gotta treat him like he's Robert Washington (before that turned for the worst) and sell, sell, close, close, close. I do understand we have another running back high on our board else where as well. Scott's still my favorite recruit thus far.

Staff better be careful. He is picking up offers from some slick recruiters. He will leave the state if he's not getting the love from Cuse staff

Staff better be careful. He is picking up offers from some slick recruiters. He will leave the state if he's not getting the love from Cuse staff
If we lose this kid it will be just that money. We need to show him love NOW...

Yes Edsall is very slick...:). fleck sor sure. I just think Scott winds up out of Syracuse and again if he was from Florida he would be just another solid recruit, win some lose some. who really knows? Nobody

Yes Edsall is very slick...:). fleck sor sure. I just think Scott winds up out of Syracuse and again if he was from Florida he would be just another solid recruit, win some lose some. who really knows? Nobody
Im more worried about Minny and Pitt. Two schools that utilize big backs. Scott reminds me of a Big 10 back. Big 10 schools will start sniffing. Teams like Mich st made a living finding under the radar backs.

What do you guys want Syracuse to do ?

...but I can assure you he's not going to Minnesota.
Maybe he's all Cuse and is just enjoying the process but the days of being automatic locks are over. I see it happen every year. Recruiting is fishy.

Maybe he's all Cuse and is just enjoying the process but the days of being automatic locks are over. I see it happen every year. Recruiting is fishy.

honestly, i haven't seen an automatic lock since never. remember marquis walker.

frankly, if mr scott doesn't go to Syracuse i wont lose any sleep. I don't put him in the category of 'cant miss' prospect. He seems like any other solid prospect, but nothing that is going to make or break us. Would love to have him, but not nearly as valuable as a say a Jarron Jones (4* DT) or Jake Zembiec (4* QB).

Im more worried about Minny and Pitt. Two schools that utilize big backs. Scott reminds me of a Big 10 back. Big 10 schools will start sniffing. Teams like Mich st made a living finding under the radar backs.

If he fits that mold and their system better, SU could show all the "love" they can and lose out on him through no fault of their own. As was said before, you win some, you lose some. Just try and get the best players you can that fit the system you're running.

honestly, i haven't seen an automatic lock since never. remember marquis walker.

frankly, if mr scott doesn't go to Syracuse i wont lose any sleep. I don't put him in the category of 'cant miss' prospect. He seems like any other solid prospect, but nothing that is going to make or break us. Would love to have him, but not nearly as valuable as a say a Jarron Jones (4* DT) or Jake Zembiec (4* QB).
We all know he's not a make or break. For a average fan its not a big deal and I understand that. These NYS prospects are a different deal for me because of my involvement with NYS recruiting. I know the positive and negatives that goes on behind the scenes. I don't expect you guys to understand. It's more perception. It brings red flags. If I'm a prospect from Ohio thats considering Cuse, and I see a prospect that plays right down the street, with 4 P5 offers go to a different school. I will have to question SU. Whats wrong with that program? They can't even get a solid regional recruit from their own backyard

We all know he's not a make or break. For a average fan its not a big deal and I understand that. These NYS prospects are a different deal for me because of my involvement with NYS recruiting. I know the positive and negatives that goes on behind the scenes. I don't expect you guys to understand. It's more perception. It brings red flags. If I'm a prospect from Ohio thats considering Cuse, and I see a prospect that plays right down the street, with 4 P5 offers go to a different school. I will have to question SU. Whats wrong with that program? They can't even get a solid regional recruit from their own backyard

But what if SU were to get a higher rated player on their board? And not all local products have SU as their number one choice. We need to look no further than Mike Hart.

That being said, my apologies for participating in getting this thread away from Stevie Scott.

But what if SU were to get a higher rated player on their board? And not all local products have SU as their number one choice. We need to look no further than Mike Hart.

That being said, my apologies for participating in getting this thread away from Stevie Scott.
I can assure you Coley wasnt the highest rated athelte on their 2017 board. I can also assure you Horan is not the highest rated TE. and of course you get the best of whats out there. Whoever is actually interested in SU.

I can assure you Coley wasnt the highest rated athelte on their 2017 board. I can also assure you Horan is not the highest rated TE. and of course you get the best of whats out there. Whoever is actually interested in SU.
In those two cases, though, you have a coaches son and then a position where they are still looking to add another TE, or they have Horan pegged as an OL?

It's more perception. It brings red flags. If I'm a prospect from Ohio thats considering Cuse, and I see a prospect that plays right down the street, with 4 P5 offers go to a different school. I will have to question SU. Whats wrong with that program? They can't even get a solid regional recruit from their own backyard

I doubt the average prospect looks at the big picture like that.

In those two cases, though, you have a coaches son and then a position where they are still looking to add another TE, or they have Horan pegged as an OL?
I can tell you one thing, getting the top nys athlete was a big deal. You heard it in Babers voice. It also gets the attention of local donors, ticket holders, coaches and communities. It creates local buzz. As a staff you have to decide how a local prospect fits, how high on your board is he? Can he develop into something great? What are the other benefits of having him in your program. The staff obviously has higher targets on their RB board. They will have to decide if its worth putting all their efforts into them or making sure to snag a local kid that can play ball too and adds other things to your program. As much as I like Pierre coming from a place of competitive football. He is still not a lock to be successful at SU.

Last edited:
I doubt the average prospect looks at the big picture like that.
Not saying all of them do but you dont think this day in age recruits follow each other? They know who is committing and who is not. Alot of them group chat and DM each other. They are involved with recruiting more than we think.

Last edited:
Money, I understand and agree with alot of your points. As you know, I also have a high degree of appreciation for our local athletes.

That being said, if Stevie wants to be courted heavily and play the game, that's fine. He's completely entitled to that ability and has earned it. BUT, somebody better coach him up on what can happen should he decide to do that.

If Syracuse has to work twice as hard to position themselves for his commitment, unless he's at the top of the board, it's just not going to happen. If Stevie values Syracuse that much, then he probably should let that be known. As fluid as recruiting is, he may find himself in an unenviable position come next Winter.

All I'm saying is if you want to play with fire you're gonna get burned.

He's the best Sec. III has to offer this year IMO. If our staff is ok with letting that walk because it doesn't compare to our other recruiting grounds then so be it.

If other recruits want to model their approach to recruiting and opinion of Syracuse on Stevie's recruitment, then I hope they're being coached on the process as well.

Stevie should appreciate the local offer, not hold them hostage for not showing as much love as Minnesota. Dates who play hard to get often get left in the cold.

Money, I understand and agree with alot of your points. As you know, I also have a high degree of appreciation for our local athletes.

That being said, if Stevie wants to be courted heavily and play the game, that's fine. He's completely entitled to that ability and has earned it. BUT, somebody better coach him up on what can happen should he decide to do that.

If Syracuse has to work twice as hard to position themselves for his commitment, unless he's at the top of the board, it's just not going to happen. If Stevie values Syracuse that much, then he probably should let that be known. As fluid as recruiting is, he may find himself in an unenviable position come next Winter.

All I'm saying is if you want to play with fire you're gonna get burned.

He's the best Sec. III has to offer this year IMO. If our staff is ok with letting that walk because it doesn't compare to our other recruiting grounds then so be it.

If other recruits want to model their approach to recruiting and opinion of Syracuse on Stevie's recruitment, then I hope they're being coached on the process as well.

Stevie should appreciate the local offer, not hold them hostage for not showing as much love as Minnesota. Dates who play hard to get often get left in the cold.
Well said!