Class of 2018 - RB Stevie Scott III (NY) Decommitted from Rutgers/Verbal to Indiana | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 RB Stevie Scott III (NY) Decommitted from Rutgers/Verbal to Indiana

Money, I understand and agree with alot of your points. As you know, I also have a high degree of appreciation for our local athletes.

That being said, if Stevie wants to be courted heavily and play the game, that's fine. He's completely entitled to that ability and has earned it. BUT, somebody better coach him up on what can happen should he decide to do that.

If Syracuse has to work twice as hard to position themselves for his commitment, unless he's at the top of the board, it's just not going to happen. If Stevie values Syracuse that much, then he probably should let that be known. As fluid as recruiting is, he may find himself in an unenviable position come next Winter.

All I'm saying is if you want to play with fire you're gonna get burned.

He's the best Sec. III has to offer this year IMO. If our staff is ok with letting that walk because it doesn't compare to our other recruiting grounds then so be it.

If other recruits want to model their approach to recruiting and opinion of Syracuse on Stevie's recruitment, then I hope they're being coached on the process as well.

Stevie should appreciate the local offer, not hold them hostage for not showing as much love as Minnesota. Dates who play hard to get often get left in the cold.
I completely agree with everything you said.

Money, I understand and agree with alot of your points. As you know, I also have a high degree of appreciation for our local athletes.

That being said, if Stevie wants to be courted heavily and play the game, that's fine. He's completely entitled to that ability and has earned it. BUT, somebody better coach him up on what can happen should he decide to do that.

If Syracuse has to work twice as hard to position themselves for his commitment, unless he's at the top of the board, it's just not going to happen. If Stevie values Syracuse that much, then he probably should let that be known. As fluid as recruiting is, he may find himself in an unenviable position come next Winter.

All I'm saying is if you want to play with fire you're gonna get burned.

He's the best Sec. III has to offer this year IMO. If our staff is ok with letting that walk because it doesn't compare to our other recruiting grounds then so be it.

If other recruits want to model their approach to recruiting and opinion of Syracuse on Stevie's recruitment, then I hope they're being coached on the process as well.

Stevie should appreciate the local offer, not hold them hostage for not showing as much love as Minnesota. Dates who play hard to get often get left in the cold.
Somewhere (maybe in this thread) on this board, a poster mentioned that Scott is the #2 RB and the #3 LB on this year's recruiting board.

I'm sure that HCDB and staff have been in continuous contact with SSIII. I think many here are just assuming that the staff hasn't showered him with the necessary attention because he has yet to commit. It's February and there is a long way to go i.e. camps etc. Let's see what happens after the camp circuit.

Last edited:
Somewhere (maybe in this thread) on this board, a poster mentioned that Scott is the #2 RB and the #3 LB on this year's recruiting board.

I'm sure that HCDB and staff have been continuous contact with SSIII. I think many here are just assuming that the staff hasn't showered him with the necessary attention because he has yet to commit. It's February and there is a long way to go i.e. camps etc. Let's see what happens after the camp circuit.

if that's the case then I'm sure they'll give him the appropriate 'love'.

Good thing about recruiting Scott is he is in your back yard, obviously, so showing him the 'love' wont be hard considering a coach could attend most of his home games and many "road" games since it's basically a 20 min drive. It would require a minimal amount of resources and time expended and no other school could come close to doing that. Question is, as Finwad32 stated, is he that high on their board.

It's February and there is a long way to go i.e. camps etc. Let's see what happens after the camp circuit.

This a good reminder to everyone that this could all be moot in 4 months if he commits in June.

BUT, as a former NYS HS football player and a one-time SU camp attendee, I also take special interest in NYS recruits and their relationship with SU. They do mean a little more to me. It shouldn't, but it always bothered me more when a NY kid ditches SU for another mid-level P5. I get when they bolt for the big boys.

I think this 2018 class could be very different from 2017 in terms of NY kids. With Horan in the fold, and potentially Stevie, that is two local kids that could set a foundation for the rest of the NY '18 class to build on. I think there is potential that other NYS kids could see Horan and Stevie's (hopefully) commitment and decide that they want to build this thing under HCDB in their home state with other kids from their home state. Maybe I am just dreaming.

If I could give one piece of advice to HCDB I would tell him that every year he should have Canisus (Buffalo), Aquinas (Roch) and CBA (Cuse) for an "Upstate Camp Day". I think those are the best three programs pretty consistently. Would be interested to hear Money's opinion.

We all know he's not a make or break. For a average fan its not a big deal and I understand that. These NYS prospects are a different deal for me because of my involvement with NYS recruiting. I know the positive and negatives that goes on behind the scenes. I don't expect you guys to understand. It's more perception. It brings red flags. If I'm a prospect from Ohio thats considering Cuse, and I see a prospect that plays right down the street, with 4 P5 offers go to a different school. I will have to question SU. Whats wrong with that program? They can't even get a solid regional recruit from their own backyard
Unfortunately we have gotten more Mandel Robinson type kids then Tim Green, local players, good kids, but not able to play at the top level.

Unfortunately we have gotten more Mandel Robinson type kids then Tim Green, local players, good kids, but not able to play at the top level.
However it seems every year there is a handful of good recruits from Long Island that get pulled away from other big, not meaning better schools.

Would like to see him in orange by the end of February. Me being wishful.

This a good reminder to everyone that this could all be moot in 4 months if he commits in June.

BUT, as a former NYS HS football player and a one-time SU camp attendee, I also take special interest in NYS recruits and their relationship with SU. They do mean a little more to me. It shouldn't, but it always bothered me more when a NY kid ditches SU for another mid-level P5. I get when they bolt for the big boys.

I think this 2018 class could be very different from 2017 in terms of NY kids. With Horan in the fold, and potentially Stevie, that is two local kids that could set a foundation for the rest of the NY '18 class to build on. I think there is potential that other NYS kids could see Horan and Stevie's (hopefully) commitment and decide that they want to build this thing under HCDB in their home state with other kids from their home state. Maybe I am just dreaming.

If I could give one piece of advice to HCDB I would tell him that every year he should have Canisus (Buffalo), Aquinas (Roch) and CBA (Cuse) for an "Upstate Camp Day". I think those are the best three programs pretty consistently. Would be interested to hear Money's opinion.
Wouldn't be a bad thing. Even if they don't offer many of them. You build strong relationships for future opportunities. It gives upstate kids their due diligence. All those privates schools have good players. More importantly, you don't need to put a lot of work into this.

Wouldn't be a bad thing. Even if they don't offer many of them. You build strong relationships for future opportunities. It gives upstate kids their due diligence. All those privates schools have good players. More importantly, you don't need to put a lot of work into this.

Exactly... Maybe take one or two a year from those schools, hopefully yearly, they can provide a solid prospect with BC, Pitt, Rutgers level offers, but establishing that relationship leads us to the occasional big one. Like the Jones, Zenovic, Akeel Lynch, Wheatley, the Canisus kicker who is going to OSU, etc.

Right, we don't get the studs. NYS is not a hotbed, but there are some good players here. We also miss on a lot of players outside the state. Keenan Hale, Jaston George, Alryk Perry, Burton, Wilson, Avant, PJ Batten and Enoicy are a few examples. Could have been replaced with a NYS kid upside. Does no harm if you miss on a few.

I will continue to watch him live this upcoming fall, but I have 0 doubts after watching last year that this kids a major D1 talent. I think our chances are as good as they could be. He's in the mold of what fits Babers offense, a north-south runner with sub 4.5 speed and the size of a linebacker. I won't be devastated if we don't land him, I'll definitely be disappointed but I'm not going to act like our class hinges on him like '15 with RW and later with Moe. We do have other running backs on our board, and from what I understand at least one RB higher than him. I'm just very confident when I say he's a diamond in the rough and a good chance for us to land a home grown legitimate "4 star" talent.

Last edited:
Does showing a recruit love help with their brand? I figured that I would put two of my least favorite terms/phrases in the same sentence for really no purpose.

It's always a dance - do you take the local kid who is not at the very top of your board vs best fit/highest on the board no matter where they come from.

I don't lean one way or another.

I will say as a fan - if they are local I root a little harder for them - and if they go to BC, I can completely sever all emotional ties and hope we romp them.

I don't quite understand all the hand-wringing here and the worry about the staff not showing him the proper attention. He has a committable offer from the staff and is being told they want him at Syracuse. If he wanted to commit now he could but he doesn't want to at this time.
Not really seeing what more they can do but continue to remind him they want him.
Imo, if he doesn't attend SU it's because he wants to get out of the 315, which isn't an illogical decision, not because the coaches haven't prioritized him properly.

It is wholly possible the staff does all they can do and he still decides to go elsewhere.

Having local talent is important - but it's not the be-all-end-all.

If Babers brought in a top 25 class in '18 there will be people (mostly dot com's) who say "Yeah but he couldn't even get so-and-so from local-high-school!!!!!"

Would love to see him in Orange but would also love to see Babers get his top priorities (and maybe Scott is high on that list)

I don't quite understand all the hand-wringing here and the worry about the staff not showing him the proper attention. He has a committable offer from the staff and is being told they want him at Syracuse. If he wanted to commit now he could but he doesn't want to at this time.
Not really seeing what more they can do but continue to remind him they want him.
Imo, if he doesn't attend SU it's because he wants to get out of the 315, which isn't an illogical decision, not because the coaches haven't prioritized him properly.

It is wholly possible the staff does all they can do and he still decides to go elsewhere.
Don't think anyone is worried. I don't think people understand what I mean by showing love. Doesn't mean kiss a player's azz. Just keep tabs on him. Being genuine when you talk to them. Check in on them with a text or DM. It could be as simple as asking how your day going? How is school? Did you win your hoops game today? Did your mom get that promotion you were hoping for? etc... I agree. He might want to get away.

C205198.jpg

No one wanted Latavius Murray except UCF. He's only rushed for 2300 yards and 26 TD's last 2 years in the NFL.
Some booster at Alabama or Texas is probably funding development of a time machine as we speak.

Well I'm ready to dig a trench and be in this one for the long haul.