RB | Syracusefan.com

RB

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
we have 4 RB's. 3 underclassmen and a 5th yr Sr.

I'm excited on one hand because they'll get a ton of reps, and young guys will be getting the work. I'm nervous because this offense is fast paced and will need to rotate.

Have to say I'd like to see a bit more depth here, even prior to the news about Shaw.

I'm excited on one hand because they'll get a ton of reps, and young guys will be getting the work. I'm nervous because this offense is fast paced and will need to rotate.

Have to say I'd like to see a bit more depth here, even prior to the news about Shaw.

I always worry about injuries, but I must say, I love what I saw from Strickland in the spring game. Couple that with Fredericks, who should only get better, and I like the 1-2 punch. Not to mention Moe Neal. If he ends up being as good as advertised, then we have quite the stable of backs.

money3189 said:
All I really saw from Bowling Green was Travis Green and Coppet. They got away with playing 2 backs all season. We have Neal and Morris too. We will be fine.

How do you feel about Strickland?

This offense could see two RBs with 1,000 yards each, not this season, but in the near future. As long as the pipelines are full, I don't think there will be a need to worry, unless you are keeping stats.

Over the past 4 seasons, we've averaged 5.25 scholarship RB's getting at least 1 carry per season, 5.5 if you factor in Jacob Hill last year.

We only have 4 on the roster.

Yes it is true that almost always, 2 RB's carry the majority of the load for a season. That's my point. You're playing with fire. Especially for a team that will most likely see around 550 carries. The most carries someone has had for Syracuse since the Greg Robinson era in any season, is 240. Which was Bailey.

I'm not worried about production. Nor should I be, that's why Dino was brought here. I am worried about having 4 scholarship RB's over a 13/14 game slate. I've seen multiple rosters working with their 3rd, 4th and 5th RB's by seasons' end.

Over the past 4 seasons, we've averaged 5.25 scholarship RB's getting at least 1 carry per season, 5.5 if you factor in Jacob Hill last year.

We only have 4 on the roster.

Yes it is true that almost always, 2 RB's carry the majority of the load for a season. That's my point. You're playing with fire. Especially for a team that will most likely see around 550 carries. The most carries someone has had for Syracuse since the Greg Robinson era in any season, is 240. Which was Bailey.

I'm not worried about production. Nor should I be, that's why Dino was brought here. I am worried about having 4 scholarship RB's over a 13/14 game slate. I've seen multiple rosters working with their 3rd, 4th and 5th RB's by seasons' end.

We've got the 4-deep, plus Erv, Briz, and Ty Perk as backups. All have experience as RB's.
We'll be fine.

We've got the 4-deep, plus Erv, Briz, and Ty Perk as backups. All have experience as RB's.
We'll be fine.
Briz is not a RB. Ty and Erv, fine.

Mid-Season position switches, "fine" or not, are not what you want to do.

Build the depth.

Finwad32 said:
Briz is not a RB. Ty and Erv, fine. Mid-Season position switches, "fine" or not, are not what you want to do. Build the depth.

You know of any good 2016 kids who want a shot?

Briz is not a RB. Ty and Erv, fine.

Mid-Season position switches, "fine" or not, are not what you want to do.

Build the depth.
Think HCDB said at some point this spring that Erv suffered last year from trying to learn that hybrid and not focus on one position. Doubt they do that again. Hope that our depth holds up there.

Finwad32 said:
No, and you shouldn't be looking on 6/28.

Agreed. That was my point. There's not a whole lot you can do at this point for this season. I'd expect them to move Perkins 1st, and see who can carry the ball in short yardage best. Not ideal, but it happens.

Last years problem was safety.

The answer is depth - but that takes time to build. I expect that the staff is working on it.

strickland, fredricks, morris, neal, hill, jo-el shaw....perkins, phillips

strickland, fredricks, morris, neal, hill, jo-el shaw...perkins, phillips
Shaw won't be available this year.

Reactions: 007
strickland, fredricks, morris, neal, hill, jo-el shaw...perkins, phillips
Hill is non-scholarship, Perkins & Phillips in the slot... As I said, 4 RB's.

I realize who else is on the roster, I realize what you do when stuff does hit the fan, what I'm saying is that's not what you want to do.

Hill is non-scholarship, Perkins & Phillips in the slot... As I said, 4 RB's.

I realize who else is on the roster, I realize what you do when stuff does hit the fan, what I'm saying is that's not what you want to do.

My bad Fin, I missed the Shaw news. I wasn't disagreeing with you as much as I was just running through the RB possibilities.

What'd you guys see Hill's role being this yeaR? Very exciting guy.

How about Riley? listed as wr/rb

Rather than look at how many SU RBs carried the ball the last decade or so, you should look at how many RBs ran the ball in Babers' system. Last year there were 4. The 3rd & 4th RBs combined for less than 200 yards. I think we're fine. Would it be nce to have hadShaw qualify? Sure. He didn't. If Dino needs to use more RBs than he did last year, he has options in a pinch.

Rather than look at how many SU RBs carried the ball the last decade or so, you should look at how many RBs ran the ball in Babers' system. Last year there were 4. The 3rd & 4th RBs combined for less than 200 yards. I think we're fine. Would it be nce to have hadShaw qualify? Sure. He didn't. If Dino needs to use more RBs than he did last year, he has options in a pinch.
Fair point about Baber's backs. My point is you shouldn't have to worry about converting in a "pinch". It's not a knock, it's a concern on depth. Whether or not anybody thinks we'll be fine doesn't matter, the point is to be prepared if you're not fine. 4 is a low number, that's my only point, and you shouldn't have to sacrifice other position groups in the event of uncertainty.

I don't understand why this turned into a debate on whether or not we'll be fine. We very well could or couldn't. I just raise my eyebrows at the depth there. Nothing more nothing less.

BG had 6 with an additional 2 FB's in 20015, 4/1 in 2014. E. Ill. Had 8/1 in 2013.

*EDIT - I'm not trying to say this is a poor job by the staff. In a shortened cycle they recruited the best players they could at their priority positions. You're going to turn to 1/2 guys to be your bell cow with the other guys getting spot duty, if you lose one, you're close to making changes.

Who knows, after the Shaw news they may move Perkins or someone else.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom